Help Me.

CleanGSR

Okay, I've about narrowed the choice down to 2 choices on my cars, but pretty much need to decide without seeing for the most part. One is 1.5 hour away and the other 3.5-4 hours.

First is a Green 1995 Honda Accord LX, fully loaded with power everything. Has quite a few door dings, but PDR could get those out. 127,000 miles.

Here's a list of what's recently been done.

*New Tires (all four)

*New Brakes (rotors & pads)

*New Timing Belt

*New Water Pump

*New Thermostat

*NEW Battery

*New Axels

*New Temp Sensor

*New o2 sensor

*New Radiator

*New Radiator Hoses

*New Spark Plugs

*New Spark Plug Wires

*New Air Filter

*New PCV Valve

*New Fuel Filter

*New Windshield Wipers

*New OEM Exhaust (front to back)

*New Pair Of Headlights (old ones were foggy)

*New 20% Window Tint

*Alpine Speakers All Around w/ Amp wires Ran

*Head Was Completely Rebuilt 4k Miles Ago

*Power Steering System Complete Flush

*Coolant System Complete Flush

*Everything Works Except Cigerette Lighter

a1-1.jpg

a2-1.jpg

a3-1.jpg

a4-1.jpg

0824081724.jpg

0824081721b.jpg

0824081721.jpg

Then the other option is a 1997 Honda Accord, 131,000 miles. I was told that a newer motor was just put in with under 100k miles on it, new radiator, and new tires. I obviously have no way to confirm the miles on the motor. It is also a auto repair shop that has it and they bought it off a regular customer and they offered to give me a 12 year, 12,000 mile warranty. Of course, I would have to take the car back to them essentially letting people work on the car that I wouldn't particularly trust. It has one dent that could be removed by PDR, but otherwise looks very clean. THe story that goes with this car has me pretty concerned to be honest and is the main reason I'm asking for opinions between these two. Oh, also the title is still in the owner's name (not the guy selling it) and I'm not sure if the bank would write the check to a person not on the title. Changing his name over would take longer than I can wait to get a car.

0KzlurASG-KCA4ljZSlGOZS4ESijv7kz0300.jpg

hHs3HJ-dHmETj1Ewj0Relr6SxM9kj1YC0300.jpg

i3XMCVOcxcjXfMwYhCDHScCl%207j5bcSV0300.jpg

wXcl9FuIrvoXsl4p02t037ep9lqiqWGL0300.jpg

RYN8ydfiwnGIRee8mRLcetMdlvazGE980300.jpg

b7RcIvy0LlYnl8irRfTDame0cSjuGUbJ0300.jpg

QBMJbaVQPJ38I6r9V9xeirdkmQFpRgIC0300.jpg

I honestly like the looks of the maroon one better, but I'm thinking the reliability of the green one would probably be much better. With the green one, I have to take his word that all of those things were done. With the Maroon one, I have to take their word that the motor swapped in has under 100k....plus the person being a regular customer and needing a new engine at 130k miles concerns me.

Lastly there is a black 96 Honda Civic (same general area as the Maroon Accord) with 102,000 miles which looks like in the pictures to be in very good condition. new axles and new brakes, but the phone call I had left me feeling uneasy and my gut tends to be right usually. Phone call (keep in mind that on autotrader this is listed as a business):

Him: HELLO

Me: Hey, I was wondering if you still had the black 4 door civic for sale

Him: Yeah, still have it

Me: Oh, okay. Well, what time do you open in the morning?

Him: Ah.....I'll probably be there around 10:30 or so.....

Me: Okay, well, we will probably stop in tomorrow sometime and look at it.

Him: Alright, just make sure and call me when you're on your way.

Me: K, Thanks, Bye.

So.....if it's a business, why answer with hello...what's with not opening until 10:30 and why on God's beautiful green earth would I need to call before I stop by? The guy wasn't rude, but was pretty short and the whole thing left me uneasy enough that I've about ruled the black civic out.

THoughts? We plan on going to test drive and potentially pick up one tomorrow, but need to decide if we are going to St. Louis to look at the Maroon Accord, or to Kansas City to look at the green accord.

Edit: All three cars are within $100 of each other so price difference is not a factor.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
get the green accord.

its your best bet man.

That's what I'm thinking too. It is from a guy on a Kansas City Forum and is his daily driver so I'd say I can probably trust it a little more than some guy at an auto shop selling a customer's car. I'm just afraid of getting a turd.

Other nice thing about the civic is that a D16y7 engine would be extremely cheap if I ever had to replace it. Anybody know the going rate of an F22 SOHC engine? (I believe that's what the accord has).

get the accord man. it will last you another 150k miles or more.

True....and did you see that engine picture? Looks clean enough to eat off of, and that's my style. I have about $250 left over from the sale of my car so hopefully I can get most/all of the door dings removed for that.

Also, the paint looks like it could use a good detailing, so I'd have fun polishing it out to be as shiny as my Integra.

Okay...thanks Rick, you seriously helped. My first and potentially only mod will be a set of Tein H-tech's or S-tech's depending on how much of a drop I think the stock shocks can handle.

Not that I don't trust/respect Rick's opinions, but I wouldn't mind hearing other people's thoughts too.

i vote green as well, oh and i can clean up that interior to look 5X better if you would want :thumbsup:

talk about 4X4's though, check out that wheel gap, lol

Thanks, but I've got a little experience in detailing, so I think I can clean her up pretty well.

Definitely some bad wheel gap which is my reason for the only mod of Tein S-tech's. THe wheel gap is so huge that I think the S-techs (about 2" drop) would look best.....just not sure if the stock shocks can handle a 2" drop......They are a really low spring rate though, so probably so.

The stock shocks can't handle more than a 2.5 to 3 inch drop. Done it before, too much and they blow like a 2 bit hooker.

The s-tech's are only a 2.1 inch front and 1.9 inch rear drop and I just read on their site that they are designed (spring rates I suppose) to work with OEM and OEM replacement shocks. I was also just remembered that I had S-tech's on the del sol and it got driven a good 20,000 miles with no problems and stock shocks....

+1 green accord

I'd check out the Civic though too, just in case.

I can't check out the Civic and Green accord both. THe accord is 3 1/2 hours (one way) in one direction and the Civic is 1 1/2 hours (one way) in a different direction.

Ah. Then go with the green accord. Done deal.

Yup....just waiting for a reply from the guy. I've asked him if he's willing to do the following but won't be shocked if he says no:

I asked him if I drive it and decide to buy, would he be willing to accept a personal check post dated 1 day and a phone call to my bank/loan officer to confrim that I have the money as soon as I get back with the title. I would drive immediately to my bank, sign the papers and deposit the money to be there when he cashes the check the next day.

I don't know if he will go for that, but we'll see. My other options are for me to have him fax the Title to my bank, and go ahead and get the loan and check before we go see the car. I guess technically I could still back out if I didn't like the car and just take the check back to the bank and start over. I don't think the bank would like me too much for all the extra work though, but I'll probably go that route. Chances are I'll buy it anyway, so......

wow nice finds! I hope it all works out :)

I would check the green one out and make sure of carfax and all records.

On another thought, Nate, why not get an almost new motor from a reputable place like hmotors and a clean shell and put it together for less than any of these cars' value?! Then you know for sure there is nothing wrong with it, imo.

wow nice finds! I hope it all works out :)

I would check the green one out and make sure of carfax and all records.

On another thought, Nate, why not get an almost new motor from a reputable place like hmotors and a clean shell and put it together for less than any of these cars' value?! Then you know for sure there is nothing wrong with it, imo.

Okay. We decided today that the Green one was not going to work for two reasons. The owner works nights and has a really weird schedule, and it will be an 8 hour drive in one day and probably a 10+ hour day total which is more than we think Brandon could handle at his 13 months (he had a rough time with St. Louis even today).

So....we went to St. Louis today and looked at 2 cars. We looked at the black civic which looked pretty dang nice in the pictures and the white one that looked even nicer than the black one in pictures.

BLACK CIVIC

Nice car, but the body was actually in rough shape. It was swirl city and I mean up against the top 2 worst swirl marks I've ever removed from a car in my detailing history. THere was also to cracks in the rear bumper, some bad stress marks on the bumper...a few door dings, and a good size scrath poorly hidden with touch-up paint. I was confident that I could improve the car even from all of that so hadn't ruled it out yet. We test drove it and it drove really nice, really smooth at both highway and city speeds. Get back and pop the hood, and guess what...... The VIN plate on the motor is GONE!!! So for all I know the motor in this car is a stolen motor with 400,000 miles and no way to verify anything. Plus the engine was so poorly detailed with armorall that I couldn't tell what was greasy tire dressing and what was potentially oil stains from possible leaks. Needless to say we walked away from that one.

MAROON ACCORD

Decided not to look at this car for one reason (even though it was only 20 miles from the black civic.) The guy selling it got it from a customer at his auto shop so the title is in the customer's name. I've had friends with horror stories of getting stuff worked out in similar situations, so that is what kept me away (not the motor issue).

WHITE CIVIC

THis is the 4 door white civic that I posted first in my other thread. Bigger PIECE of CRAP than the black one and we didn't even test drive it. The first clue was when the hood release cable is hanging out through the front grill.

So we spent a good 4 hours driving today and a total of 8 hours away today and got nowhere. Sucks cause we are back to square one with zero leads and we can't function on a single car for very long.

I know this is semi-sacrilegious but I'm gonna suggest it anyway: carmax.

Think about it: they have a 30 day guarantee and you are for sure gonna drive home in your new car after only one visit since they have so many options in one spot.

I realize that people are gonna say that you'll end up paying a little bit more for this, but you of all people, Nate, seem to understand the economic concept of opportunity cost. The longer you spend driving around with your wife and son looking to get the best deal you can on a car like this and the more this "better deal" is actually costing you.

Looking for cars on the internet through online classifieds and forum postings is for people who put a low value on their time. Perhaps in this situation that's not you?

I know this is semi-sacrilegious but I'm gonna suggest it anyway: carmax.

Think about it: they have a 30 day guarantee and you are for sure gonna drive home in your new car after only one visit since they have so many options in one spot.

I realize that people are gonna say that you'll end up paying a little bit more for this, but you of all people, Nate, seem to understand the economic concept of opportunity cost. The longer you spend driving around with your wife and son looking to get the best deal you can on a car like this and the more this "better deal" is actually costing you.

Looking for cars on the internet through online classifieds and forum postings is for people who put a low value on their time. Perhaps in this situation that's not you?

Yeah, I'm starting to agree. Fortunately my parents live in a very, very large area with a lot of possible solutions. My dad is looking around his area for me and if he finds anything then I will go down there and look at them. He found me a 1991 Honda Accord with perfect body, no rust, not even a door ding, perfect interior and only 121,000 miles. Sadly it's pretty overpriced at 3995. I also found a 95 civic in great condition in his area with 160k, but also overpriced at 3995. I'm thinking that we'll just try to live with one car for awhile until I find a good deal.

Sucks that those two looked good in pics but were bad cars.

It's a good idea to search and not rush into it, as you said. Also, I think Carmax is a good idea for this situation. :)

gl :D I'm going to search now :D

Carmax sucks. THey wouldn't let me search anything older than 98 (and pre 98 is where I'm likely to find my price range), and the cheapest Honda in my area was nearly double my budget. I could drive around for about a year and a half's worth of gas before I eat up that difference in that price. Shoot, if I wanted to spend nearly $8,000 minimum then I would have kept the GSR.

Too bad I didn't get pre-approved for 6,000 (probably could have), but I found a 99 Civic EX Sedan with a flawless B16 swap and the car is PERFECT. Asking $6,000 and I would buy it sight unseen if it was in my budget.

Archived