1948 Chevy Truck Photoshoot

I thought I'd share this with everybody since I was pretty happy with the results. Anyway, this is my first automotive photoshoot since I've gotten serious into photography a year ago. I was happy with how they turned out and I really had a lot of fun. I didn't charge for these as it was my first time, but seeing the results, I think I'll charge next time.

First are the night pictures which were my favorites

2008-08-09_44web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_46web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_59web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_66web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_68web-2.jpg

2008-08-09_73-1.jpg

And here's the daytime shots which I thought turned out pretty nice as well.

2008-08-09_7web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_13web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_16web-1.jpg

2008-08-09_19web-2.jpg

2008-08-09_22web-1.jpg

Sorry for so many pictures, I just had a lot of "keepers" and had a hard time narrowing down.

Thanks. Number 1 is doesn't look overexposed to my eye and according to the histogram it's within range of no lost highlights. I spent a long time with levels and curves to get that one just right.

Thanks to everybody else....I was pretty pleased with how they came out.

Nancy - Lighting technique was my SB-600 on a light stand with a stofen diffuser. It was fired remotely through commander mode/CLS. Basically I used the flash to expose the truck and then the shutter speed to expose the background to the darkness that I wanted which gave the effect with the lit truck and darker clouds and background. It would have been better if I had 2 or 3 flashes instead of 1. My single flash (diffused) had a hard time lighting the truck completely and I had to brighten it in PP a bit.

apologies nate...It may just be my screen! Just looked to me like the colour in the brightest parts are a bit washed out...(sorry this is me nit-picking as such, the photos are still dam good!)

No problem. I see what you meant. I actually have gone back and re-edited all of them and made them much better.....including the first one. #1 is my favorite, but I seem to stand alone with that one.

I'm so friggin' frustrated right now I feel like selling all my gear (not gonna, just that frustrated). Everybody (on other forums) says the background is too distracting and don't care for the darker background/bright street lights and most really don't like my lighting. It's so frustrating because after editing these (I"ve actually re-edited them since I posted here) I thought they came out great and now people find so much "technically" wrong that .........aaagh. This will probably be my last automotive photoshoot.....I'm seriously that discouraged.

Don't let what others have to say affect your opinion of the photos so much. If you like them and are proud of them, then that's all that should matter. Everyone has a different style, and doing everything by the "textbook" standard all of the time gets extremely boring, IMO.

The only ones with distracting backgrounds to me are 6 and 7. When taking photos of cars you want to make sure nothing is protruding from the roof such as lamp posts or trees. Backgrounds are really really important in car shots.

They are all great photos Nate, but if you want to nitpick...

1- I hate it because there's literally nothing in the background and the color is washed out on my monitor too because the lighting looks like a cop's spotlight.

2- FTMFW

3- One of my favs, but hate the single light glare behind the cab, and the photo almost looks like it were made for 3D glasses...I dunno, too much red?

4- My second fav, but doesn't display the truck as well from that angle. Probably would have liked to see it more from the back. This is the closest to an ass shot we get.

5- I like, but that single light is distracting again. Also, probably would have liked it to be wider. I think the tracks should be cut off on the bottom of the photo, not the sides.

6- One of my favs, but I think the lights should be toned down just a tad

7- Third fav. Well done.

8- Slightly distracting, but not too bad. Would a crop help?

9- I like it. Almost a sepia tone background.

10- Almost looks too dull, especially compared side by side with 9.

11- Another one of my favs, but needs to be slightly less cropped top and bottom, and not have a bunch of people reflected in the bumper. lol

Again, just like Seb said, I think all the photos are awesome and are 10000X better than I would have done, but we're nitpicking so that you can do even better next time, or even improve these ones. It's constructive criticism, not bashing, and I'm sure that's what the other people you are talking too are also trying to offer, so don't get discouraged Nate. I love seeing your photos.

The only ones with distracting backgrounds to me are 6 and 7. When taking photos of cars you want to make sure nothing is protruding from the roof such as lamp posts or trees. Backgrounds are really really important in car shots.

Yeah, I agree about the protrusions. I'll admit that this was one thing that I truly forgot to look out for. I think I can clean up a few of them though with cloning which should help. I had the hardest time finding a decent spot for this session in the first place...... unfortunately the background was a little busy in this area.

They are all great photos Nate, but if you want to nitpick...

1- I hate it because there's literally nothing in the background and the color is washed out on my monitor too because the lighting looks like a cop's spotlight.

That's actually the look I was going for....unfortunately I seem to be the only one who likes it. Regarding being washed out, I've done a re-edit and fixed that portion

2- FTMFW

Thanks meow

3- One of my favs, but hate the single light glare behind the cab, and the photo almost looks like it were made for 3D glasses...I dunno, too much red?

I agree I hate the single light glare and because of it I've removed it from the group that I'll be showing to the owner

4- My second fav, but doesn't display the truck as well from that angle. Probably would have liked to see it more from the back. This is the closest to an ass shot we get.

I agree again. We actually got cut short....I was going to do some back end shots when a train started coming so we had to move it or lose it (literally)

5- I like, but that single light is distracting again. Also, probably would have liked it to be wider. I think the tracks should be cut off on the bottom of the photo, not the sides.

Again, the last shot I got before leaving for the train but yeah...I see what you mean

6- One of my favs, but I think the lights should be toned down just a tad

Unfortunately I can't do too much with the lights....they are that "exaggerated" due to too small an aperature (I was at like f/16 or something) Another shot at F/10 would have helped but a car came so I only got 1 picture.

7- Third fav. Well done.

Thanks

8- Slightly distracting, but not too bad. Would a crop help?

I don't know....I might try and see

9- I like it. Almost a sepia tone background.

Difference of opinion because I really didn't care for the overedit so went back and edited similar tone/colors to the other shots. Much better now IMO.

10- Almost looks too dull, especially compared side by side with 9.

I really think it's because it's next to number 9. When comparing it to the other's it looks very similar in tone/colors.

11- Another one of my favs, but needs to be slightly less cropped top and bottom, and not have a bunch of people reflected in the bumper. lol

Unfortunately I shot it that tight, so can't fix the crop (I think....hmm...I'll have to double check). Yes....the STUPID reflections of us all tick me off but I couldn't see them on my tiny 2" screen and didn't notice them until it was too late (editing them at home).

Again, just like Seb said, I think all the photos are awesome and are 10000X better than I would have done, but we're nitpicking so that you can do even better next time, or even improve these ones. It's constructive criticism, not bashing, and I'm sure that's what the other people you are talking too are also trying to offer, so don't get discouraged Nate. I love seeing your photos.

Added responses to the quote (in bold). I agree that some people are trying to help but other's (on different forums) are clearly not. Oh well, we'll see at 7:00 tonight what the owner thinks....I suppose that's what counts the most.

Hey Nate, no worries man. Photography is about you and your vision. And also what makes the client happy. If it makes you happy and the client likes it who is to you that it's bad?

Keep at it, you'll only get better with time...

Hey Nate, no worries man. Photography is about you and your vision. And also what makes the client happy. If it makes you happy and the client likes it who is to you that it's bad?

Keep at it, you'll only get better with time...

i agree, this is an excellent set. i doubt anyone that commented negative in this thread could do any better. for what you had to work with, the final product is great.

Dude don't get discouraged, of course you are going to get some constructive criticism, you are doing this as a professional, so you are going to get some comments, if anything learn from these. As you said this is your FIRST car photoshoot, so it is going to be far from perfect, and yet your photos really aren't that far from. I'd say go away with your car, or a friends car, and practice practice practice, and a few months from now your photography will be looking top notch. As we can see, it's got to you that people have been commenting on your photos in a negative way on the other forums, so means you care about it, so that should mean you've got the will power to go away and make good of it.

Well, first, I don't do this as a professional...merely a hobbiest. The contructive criticism isn't what bothered me, it's the bunch of comments I was getting saying nothing more than....

"7 is okay but the rest the lighting sucks"

"Number 4 is good but the rest have placement issues"

Those weren't constructive criticism....they were just criticism. Luckily on the photo forum I"m on I actually got a couple good critiques on problems and strong points with each photo so I now feel a little better. It was just frusturating for people to say XXX sucks but not say why they think that or what could be done about it.

Edit: Oh and the owner really liked them so that's what matters. His favorites are 4, 6, 7, 10 and he's looking at an 18x24 of one and maybe a 12x18 of another.....then various other prints. Anyway,....he liked them so it wasn't a total bust....plus I learned off the shoot.

Yeah, deffo don't get discouraged from that shoot. I'm not in love with all of them, but I really like most of them, especially the night shots, and I bet with slightly better color editing on the day shots (which is sounds like you've already done) and more careful placement to avoid the smoke stacks coming out the top of the car in the future (which it sounds like you've already learned from) your shots will be top notch in no time.

If I had been the client I would have been very pleased with the results and wouldn't have had any problems paying for them whatsoever. All the ones you posted are keepers and several are framable.

Also, keep in mind that forums often tend to be more like Hater-Tech and less like HondaForums, so getting criticism that's unwarranted just because some punk wants to feel good about their skills (or better about their lack thereof) is far too often par for the course.

i think all of them, look great. for not having that much experience in photography, you did a hell of a job. i really want to get into photography, but always am held back b/c everytime i want to buy a camera i spend it on my car haha. i really need to just dish out the cash and buy one. i also have no idea what to buy with it, but yeah.

Archived