What Oil do you use?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the hell would thick-ass oil go through his injectors? And why wouldn't it completely foul up his spark plugs?

I don't know about the injector's and don't know alot about deisels. I do know that they don't have spark plugs though. All I know is that I always give him my used oil from oil changes and he's always getting used oil from shops that will give it to him so he can run it in his deisel. I could be wrong and he might refine it or mix it but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. He even commented that he ran out of gas once in Kansas and had a few quarts of oil in the trunk that he poured in the tank which got him to the gas station.

And this is a pretty good friend of mine and his word is very trustworthy....my understanding of what he said might not be though... :)

Glow plugs only aid in the start up until the block is warm enough to sustain itself. Diesels produce their power solely off of compression, no spark plugs at all.

As long as the oil is low-viscosity enough and warm enough it shouldn't clog a diesel's injectors at all.

Diesel is very oil-based anyway, hence why the black smoke under acceleration, so it's very possible that it could run off of straight oil.

Little late to this conversation but I'll say that I'm another satisfied AMSoil customer here. Since I only drive about 6-8k in a year normally I leave it in there for a full year with one of their long-life filters. Costs about as much as using conventional oil every 4 months (since I never do 3k in that time) but I only have to do it once a year...

I had no idea diesels could run like that on just oil but that's pretty awesome.

Little late to this conversation but I'll say that I'm another satisfied AMSoil customer here. Since I only drive about 6-8k in a year normally I leave it in there for a full year with one of their long-life filters. Costs about as much as using conventional oil every 4 months (since I never do 3k in that time) but I only have to do it once a year...

I had no idea diesels could run like that on just oil but that's pretty awesome.

How long you been running Amsoil? I just got and paid for mine through Sportinjection, and wanted some more input on it! :thumbsup:

I used it for a year since I bought my car only last summer. Right now I'm running regular-ass oil since I got home broke from 6 months away with no job but will go back to it in about a month. Used it for a year on my last del sol as well and never had any problems although then I changed it every 6 months. Came out just as clean as normal oil after 3k if not cleaner and my engine always felt "free and clear" if you know what I mean.

I used it for a year since I bought my car only last summer. Right now I'm running regular-ass oil since I got home broke from 6 months away with no job but will go back to it in about a month. Used it for a year on my last del sol as well and never had any problems although then I changed it every 6 months. Came out just as clean as normal oil after 3k if not cleaner and my engine always felt "free and clear" if you know what I mean.

Good to hear! I am going to see how I feel about it, and see if I can push it to about 20K? I drive 400 miles a week, and I am tired of doing oil changes every 2 months! :thumbsup: I will pay real close attention to it, and see what happens! :crazy: Seems unnatural to me! :crazy:

If it makes you nervous, Amsoil offers fluid analysis. I can also have fluid analysis done at the Caterpillar dealership i work at. My brother works in our fluid analysis lab actually.

Meaning you take some of my used 20K oil after I change it, then run analysis?

Here's another point of view for those people out there who don't wanna worry about pushing their engines to 12k or whatever during a full year on the same oil/filter.

Lets look at your average semi-high mileage (80-120k) DOHC VTEC engine. Takes about 4-5 quarts to fill up and will burn through a quart or two in a 3k/4 month oil change interval (depending on how often you get up into the high RPMs). Since it doesn't take that much oil to completely drain/refill and since this actually makes changing the filter easier anyway, as long as you're under the car, why not just use synthetic oil made for the standard change interval like Mobile1? This way you can add oil as needed without worrying about how it will mix with the oil that has been in there for a long time (apparently AMSoil has a tendency to "gain weight" towards the end of its one year life) and you still have the peace of mind that comes with using nice oil changed regularly. I submit that this way of doing things, for this example, actually makes just as much if not more sense than, for example, me using AMSoil on my low-mileage SOHC that gets driven easy and doesn't get too many miles put on it in a year.

• 2 months later...
Um, I hope your not trying to advertise/sell stuff.

Thats a ticket to banville.

BTW, what is JDM oil?

I'm new to the forum so I just sent a message to the moderator to see what is appropriate.

But, I see the AMSOIL web-site posted throughout.

In any case JDM = Japanese Domestic Market = Made in Japan

Last I checked, Japan was a rock with no natural resources whatsoever.

Yes. Nippon Oil imports the majority of their crude oil.

Nippon Oil is the largest oil company in Japan and the 8th largest in the world.

You may be surprised to know that they supply most of the Asian OEMs: Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Yamaha.

The ENEOS brand was recently launched in the USA.

www.eneos.us

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
try puting some 44k nade by bg company you put it in your gass and it will clean out your whole system but your car should say what kind of oil it talks 5w30

thank you, i will put that in my gas. I was hoping someone would chime in on this oil thread about fuel additives.

ohh and thank you, i was gonna use 40w50.

I use Pennzoil 5w30 in my car. I'm about 3K past due an oil change. :( I've topped it off, but I haven't had time to change it, nor the money to buy an oil filter and oil. SAD I know, but I'm barely making money, and it all goes to bills, literally.

Archived