What Oil do you use?

why spend money on a swap if you want to use cheap oil/filters??

Countless honda engines have had long 300k mi+ lives on regular old "cheap" motor oil.

but seriously if you dont want to take care of a motor.. dont do a swap.. it'll be a waste of time

I have always changed my oil exactly at 3k mi. I consider that taking care of my motor. Waste of time? It's not like the motor is gonna lock up and become useless with Pennzoil. I've used it for years in my cars with no ill effect.

when i first got my sol i bought the cheapest crap i could find and then decided to take care of the motor and spent the money on royal purple and noticed a big change...

What kind of change? An increase in power? Or a change in the tint of your oil after a duration? Also, how many miles did your sol have at the time of change?

soo going for the 12k miles they talk about... you end up spending about $45 - $60

I don't think I would be comfortable just waiting 12k miles to change my oil. And how am I supposed to know if the motor is ready for that or not? The marketing pitch said "in a dirty motor" 3-5k and then "in a clean motor" 12k. Am I just supposed to go off of how dark the oil gets? How would I know?

and im not tryin to be a b*tch.. just making a point

Don't worry, you didn't come off as b!tchy. You're just passionate. :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because its a honda doesnt mean it deserves cheap stuff.. it could last even longer with good stuff!

I never said it would lock up with using cheap oil... BUT it may not be running to its full potential and i like my cars running their best

and after a few hundred miles the del sol started running a lot smoother and had a little bit more 'get up and go' to it..

adn you can tell when the oil needs changed honestly.. you can feel it when your driving the car..

just watch the video.. and i think the 'other brand' in this video sure does resemble a valvoline bottle haha

p.s. in a clean motor they mean it doesnt have sluge buildup etc... like my ex's cobras oil didnt turn really dark when it needed changed because his motor didnt have a bunch of crap in it but my old 4 cyl truck would turn oil black like a week after changing it

Just because its a honda doesnt mean it deserves cheap stuff.. it could last even longer with good stuff!

I never said it would lock up with using cheap oil... BUT it may not be running to its full potential and i like my cars running their best

and after a few hundred miles the del sol started running a lot smoother and had a little bit more 'get up and go' to it..

adn you can tell when the oil needs changed honestly.. you can feel it when your driving the car..

just watch the video.. and i think the 'other brand' in this video sure does resemble a valvoline bottle haha

p.s. in a clean motor they mean it doesnt have sluge buildup etc... like my ex's cobras oil didnt turn really dark when it needed changed because his motor didnt have a bunch of crap in it but my old 4 cyl truck would turn oil black like a week after changing it

If he's changing his oil every 3,000 miles then old Havoline is going to be just as good as royal purple or amsoil really. THe largest advantage of using something like Royal purple or AMSOil is the extended intervals. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing extended intervals, then he would be completely wasting his money with the higher priced oils.

Regarding your video.......engine components don't function the way the 4 ball test does so it's really irrelevant. You don't have super high friction and pressure the way that machine does from the rings and such in an engine. Sure it looks neat, but not nearly as critical as they claim. To me it's like saying, well it smells better or it's a pretty purple color.

By the way if you believe in the 4 ball wear test then you might like to know that in every independent test I've ever seen Royal Purple comes in between 9th and 12th place with AMSOil always in 1st or 2nd. Again, not a really relevant test as all oils will protect under an engine's normal operating conditions.

If he's changing his oil every 3,000 miles then old Havoline is going to be just as good as royal purple or amsoil really. THe largest advantage of using something like Royal purple or AMSOil is the extended intervals. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing extended intervals, then he would be completely wasting his money with the higher priced oils.

if he wants to change his oil that much he can..

all im sayin is i dont see the point in spending more money over time on cheaper oil and having to change the oil more often (like i said before you end up spending about $45 - $60 or so on oil changes with your cheap oil.. $15 an oil change.. changing it every 3k-5k over 12k miles and i spend $40 on mine with my better oil and one oil change)

and i actually never saw that video until after i started using royal purple(i have never used amsoil.. but oh i did look it up and it says people go to like 25k with that oil... but that would be unheard of for the people who think they HAVE to change oil every 3k).. but i know how my car runs on royal purple and it runs a lot better then on other oils i have used..

but anyone can use the cheap stuff and change it every 3k miles... i think ill stick with changing mine less and using the better oil :thumbsup:

i do a lot of highway driving anyway.. which has a lot to do with how often everyone is changing their oil

how much is amsoil.. website said $10 a quart.. i want to try it

How many testimonials have you heard with ppl claiming they got 300k+ mi. out of their engine with royal purp only changing their oil every 12 mi from the beginning? I haven't heard of any. And I don't want to be part of the experiment. I would rather stick with what's tried and true for now until more people have tried the other products and methods. Of course I think RP and Amsoil are better oils. But it would eat me up inside to think what my engine's components were going through after 6k miles. Let alone 25k!?!?

It all just seems kinda foreign to me. And I surely don't want to spend $40-$50 every 3-5k mi. It would look like about a $90 per year difference to me. If I knew for sure what the effect would be or if it would elongate my engines lifespan (and by how much), then it may seem economically feasible to me. But all these variables are up in the air. Except for what I've seen; tried and true 3k mile oil changes.

I'm just going to add one thing to the conversation. What does every oil commercial out there claim? "far better protection", or "Eliminates sludge buildup", or "Super Synthetic Protection" etc, etc. So if all of these oil are so much better than older formulas why change intervals of 3k or 3 months????? They claim their oils are better than every but they still stick with a 50+ year old drain interval. Amsoil backs up their product with a 25,000 change interval with their filter. All these other oils claim to be superior to one another but still require a short change interval.

Just my $00.02

P.S. Let me know what type of oil you are interested in and I'll get you a quote.

i want to try the amsoil in my truck since that one is going to see the track quite a lot..

idk what weight though

ill probably need like 6 quarts.. cause i think it takes like 5 but i have an oil filter relocation kit so theres random hoses and stuff.. hmm.. idk

if he wants to change his oil that much he can..

all im sayin is i dont see the point in spending more money over time on cheaper oil and having to change the oil more often (like i said before you end up spending about $45 - $60 or so on oil changes with your cheap oil.. $15 an oil change.. changing it every 3k-5k over 12k miles and i spend $40 on mine with my better oil and one oil change)

and i actually never saw that video until after i started using royal purple(i have never used amsoil.. but oh i did look it up and it says people go to like 25k with that oil... but that would be unheard of for the people who think they HAVE to change oil every 3k).. but i know how my car runs on royal purple and it runs a lot better then on other oils i have used..

but anyone can use the cheap stuff and change it every 3k miles... i think ill stick with changing mine less and using the better oil :thumbsup:

i do a lot of highway driving anyway.. which has a lot to do with how often everyone is changing their oil

how much is amsoil.. website said $10 a quart.. i want to try it

I actually agree with what you're saying....just stating another side of it.

Changing at 3,000 miles with Conventional Oil versus Changing at 5000-7000 with a normal Synthetic comes out to the same cost and I'll agree that the synthetic will protect a little better. Problem is that some of the entry level synthetics (like Mobil 1) can cause older seals to shrink or swell (depending on the base used) which could cause them to start leaking when they didn't before. Higher quality synthetics like RedLine, AMSOil (don't know about RP since they don't release much info about their stuff) use a higher quality/grade of base stock Like a IV or V which won't cause this problem as much.

So, if I was to buy a car with 120,000 miles, I wouldn't bother using synthetic as it could potentially do more harm than good. (This is just my opinion on things I've read from BobisTheOilGuy.com and the Motor oil bible.)

Alex - I've seen quite a few guys that have done tests on oil......one comes to mind. A guy had a new Camaro with probably 7,000 miles, properly broken in. He did a test on Mobil 1 and AMSOil where he did the oil change and then every 1,000 miles he would drain just enough of it to have a lab analysis done. He did this for every 1,000 miles or so until around 12,000 miles. Both oils were still going strong at 8,000 miles and even at 10,000 miles were still protecting about as well as a new conventional oil. Synthetics break down much slower. He finally changed it at 12,000 miles (both AMSOil test and Mobil 1) not due to the oil not protecting, but due to some of the levels of different metals getting too high (don't remember the metal). Anyway, it goes to prove that a synthetic oil stays "good" much longer than what's in most people's mindset. Then again after seeing his tests, I wouldn't take even AMSOil past 10,000 miles just because of the higher contents of bi-products that start to accumulate. He also changed filters once or twice in there so that wasn't the cause of the "problem".

Edit: If I remember correctly by 12,000 miles the AMSOil had gotten thicker rather than thinning out like the Mobil 1. His AMSoil 10w30 by 12,000 miles was closer to a 40 weight.

Wait whats wrong with using mobil1?

I have a full 5qt jug that I was planning on using when I swith to full syn.

Should I use amsoil/eneos rather the the M1?

Edit* What do you guys do with all your used motor oil?

Sold Out

"What do you guys do with all your used motor oil?"

I take mine down to the junkyard I used to work at and they collect it in huge receptacles until a truck comes and pumps it out. I'm not sure if they get paid for it or not.

Pepboys takes used oil.

I am planning on using Mobil 1 in my race car, whenever it is together, it was using Valvoline Synthetic before, I just never got to an oil change. My four door and the Jeep I use whatever is cheap, usually bulk oil. Royal Purple or Mobil 1 are the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

i use royal purple, in both cars already had the evo's oil changed, i had my mom go buy royal purple and take it to mitsubishi and change the oil and i did the bmw right before i left germany..

i'm storing my used oil. when i buy my next truck i'll mix the oil with the diesel fuel. alot of diesel guys are runnin a 1:4 ration 1 quart oil to 1/4 tank of gas.

i'm storing my used oil. when i buy my next truck i'll mix the oil with the diesel fuel. alot of diesel guys are runnin a 1:4 ration 1 quart oil to 1/4 tank of gas.

Yup....I even know a guy who runs (I'm pretty sure) straight used oil in his old Mercede's Deisels. I think he cleans/filters it first but that's pretty much it.

Yup....I even know a guy who runs (I'm pretty sure) straight used oil in his old Mercede's Deisels. I think he cleans/filters it first but that's pretty much it.

How the hell would thick-ass oil go through his injectors? And why wouldn't it completely foul up his spark plugs?

Archived