How to fix Rust with bondo? DIY help needed

That rust is going to ruin the frame of that car. You can cover it with bondo all you want, but it's gonna continue to rust and it'll eat that thing from the inside out. So when chunks of your car fall out and the car starts to fold, you'll wish you had just cut and welded the first time.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LMFAO @ "stuff some newspaper"

Please tell me this thread is a joke............please??

APRIL FOOLS!!!

err....

I think people are seriously that inbred to believe crap like that....

What a bunch of flaming cry babies you guys are....all i was looking for was a little help and you all wanna bash me for it? Learned my lesson with this forum now.

Were only telling you what's gonna happen. That rust is a safety hazard.

How could you willingly cover it up so no one will see it then sell it as if there is nothing wrong with it? You could kill someone by doing that.

I hope your a female because your sounding like a real drama queen now. Please enlighten me as to how wheel well rust is gonna kill someone? As i sadi, this is a project car that I wanna use as a learning experience. I need to know how to use bondo so why not try it out?

I hope your a female because your sounding like a real drama queen now. Please enlighten me as to how wheel well rust is gonna kill someone? As i sadi, this is a project car that I wanna use as a learning experience. I need to know how to use bondo so why not try it out?

Didn't you say that there was a hole under the driver side seat or somewhere under the car?

As for being flammed, you deserve it. You already talked about just covering it up with bondo then selling it - that's shady right there. Bondo is used to take out the imperfections in a surface, not cover/hide rust or fill in holes in your car.

To use bondo correctly, you need to go to school and get a degree in bondage. It's really difficult and takes a long time to perfect it.

Take the side skirts off. I guarantee you there is a lot of rust running along there.

That rust is deep and is eating at the B pillar support for the side of the car. It's gonna be a problem.

If you don't cut the rust out, it's gonna keep going and your gonna look like an assbag when all that bondo falls out.

So you can call us cry-babies all you want, but you're the douche who is gonna put someones life at risk.

Take the side skirts off. I guarantee you there is a lot of rust running along there.

That rust is deep and is eating at the B pillar support for the side of the car. It's gonna be a problem.

If you don't cut the rust out, it's gonna keep going and your gonna look like an assbag when all that bondo falls out.

So you can call us cry-babies all you want, but you're the douche who is gonna put someones life at risk.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Imagine if you bought what you thought was a nice clean car, only to find out it is a POS, that some one pawned off on you? Would you be pissed? Imagine you slam a door, and you here this snapping sound, or hear something hit the ground, you bend over to pick it up and then you see a fist sized hole where part of your rear quarter panel used to be! Ask yourself how that would make you feel? Now imagine the unlucky guy who buys the car, showing up on your door step!! :o Cause it will happen!

What a bunch of flaming cry babies you guys are....all i was looking for was a little help and you all wanna bash me for it? Learned my lesson with this forum now.

We are just trying to steer you in the right direction. I was told once the motto of a real craftsman is " Take pride in your work, In both the seen and unseen " or something to that effect. This forum is one of the best I've been around. 99.99% of the people around here are cool and are only trying to give you GOOD advice. If this is a project car, wouldn't you like to learn something the right way? You can do something a 1000 times the wrong way and become good at something, but in the end, you are very good at doing something the wrong way. Practice doing things the correct way, and greatness will follow.

Sorry for the rant. I just woke up and had to set the record straight.

agreed, do it right or just dont do it and sell as is, let the buyer be obviously aware of the issue so they can decide whether or not they want to deal w/ the hassle of fixing it properly. no u wont gat as much, but you can have a clean conscience.. tho cant see that u really care.

also as a project car, why not practice welding and learn to do it, at least you wont be f*cking up something thats important and u may learn something that can gain u future profit and a good rep.

and as for the "crybabiness' of the forum, u will get the same reaction from any car forum worth a grain of salt. u sir are a douche canoe of epic proportions.

agreed, do it right or just dont do it and sell as is, let the buyer be obviously aware of the issue so they can decide whether or not they want to deal w/ the hassle of fixing it properly. no u wont gat as much, but you can have a clean conscience.. tho cant see that u really care.

also as a project car, why not practice welding and learn to do it, at least you wont be f*cking up something thats important and u may learn something that can gain u future profit and a good rep.

and as for the "crybabiness' of the forum, u will get the same reaction from any car forum worth a grain of salt. u sir are a douche canoe of epic proportions.

You know thats the sad part. when i ask what i would need to fix this properly no one has answers, everyone is on the flame trip. I would loe to try welding but have no idea what to buy in terms of tools and equipment. You guys need to stop with the gang up on the newb mentality and actually give some constructive direction. Tis forum is in need of a good Moderator

You know thats the sad part. when i ask what i would need to fix this properly no one has answers, everyone is on the flame trip. I would loe to try welding but have no idea what to buy in terms of tools and equipment. You guys need to stop with the gang up on the newb mentality and actually give some constructive direction. Tis forum is in need of a good Moderator

we told you exactly what you need to do to fix that problem properly, but you went against everyones advice and said you were going a newspaper and bondo route

A friend was telling me i could simply stuff some newspaper in that hole and then mud the hell outta it with some bondo. I will try it and see what happens,,,nothing to loose here...its a project

^^^ Not flaming you because you are noob, flaming you cause you are going to screw some one! :nono:

This forum has at least 3 good moderators!!! :thumbsup:

They will let this thread run its course, unless it gets out of control! I believe they will leave this up, if for no other reason than to let it be a object lesson! Again I say please do not do this and then sell to some unsuspecting person, I believe in a thing called Karma and it can be a bitchh, or it can be a good thing! Depends on how you go through life! As a whole we love our Hondas, and we all get along great! We will however stick up for one another! I say do as I wrote in my comment on your profile!

we told you exactly what you need to do to fix that problem properly, but you went against everyones advice and said you were going a newspaper and bondo route

since jordan answered so eloquently in my defense (thank you, hon) i will say again, u have a perfect project to try and learn something useful, so take advantage of that and weld the f*cker. do i know how? no, i dont, would i like the opportunity to learn? hell yeah i would, but my project car is all fiberglass, no metal save for the frame and its terrific, no need for welding skills.

i have a friend that welds, and when i have time, which is never atm, i will go visit her and learn. until then my sol will rust away, but i will never bondo it.

seriously. people have been giving you good advice since the first poster. the right way is to cut out the rust and re-weld it. if you cant do that, or dont want to, save up and just get it done. bondo WILL work, but wont last. so you can do that, but your going to end up having to do it again at some point.

^^^ +1

we did give you the right advice... you just ignored it and threw it out the door for... putting bondo over the rust, that just causes the rust to eat under the bondo (like EVERYONE else said) and your car falls apart... and why would you put a panel of metal OVER rust thats under your seat :sleep2: that is one of the dumbest thing i have ever heard in my life... just cut and weld, get the job done RIGHT the first time and ALOT quicker... if you want to practice with bondo, go to a junkyard and get a POS banged up door and practice that way, not putting yourself and others in danger...

^^^ +1

we did give you the right advice... you just ignored it and threw it out the door for... putting bondo over the rust, that just causes the rust to eat under the bondo (like EVERYONE else said) and your car falls apart... and why would you put a panel of metal OVER rust thats under your seat :sleep2: that is one of the dumbest thing i have ever heard in my life... just cut and weld, get the job done RIGHT the first time and ALOT quicker... if you want to practice with bondo, go to a junkyard and get a POS banged up door and practice that way, not putting yourself and others in danger...

Yeah, everyone just says weld it but know one can give step by step details. Thanks to the guy who posted the link to a site with real information.

Here is the infamous hole in the floorpan

CIMG0212.jpg

That looks more like a puncture than rust??? Maybe its just the pic? Google is your friend, if its links you want? I can find you a 100! If you are seriously considering doing it that way, I am happy as can be! :thumbsup:

I know it's been said but everyone here has given the best advice for your situation. I've got rust too on my rear quarters, I tried the bondo route and my rust is back in about 1.5 years, and it wasn't even rusted all the way through. Will be ordering new sheet metal and learning to weld.

Oh and if you want to learn to use bondo use it on small dents. Sand the area down to bare metal mix up the hardener and mud, mix it up really well (should be redish/bluish depending). Slap it on a little heavy mold it a bit don't worry about it being perfect you will sculpt it with the sandpaper.

Body work takes LOTS of time and reworking to get right.

Archived