Reason to own a 360

So I was reading on 1up.com, that there most likely will be a price drop as of July 6th, 2008. The new price of a premium Xbox will be $299.99! Which is even more reason for you kats that dont have one to own one....here's the story..

Price Drop

i have both, 60Gig PS3 and the 120Gig Elite 360 :)

id still much rather have a PS3 over the 360 because you still have to buy batteries for controllers, the graphics arent as up to par as the PS3, and you have to pay for xbox live and PS network is FREE!!! plus the little bonus of MGS4 and GT5(best looking game ever) for the PS3 linup as well...

Oh and i dont know if anyone else knows about it but i have a friend that is putting windows on my PS3 so you can play ANY pc game on your PS3 and run it ALOT better... i seen him running halo 1,2,&3, and gears of war and it runs it FLAWLESSLY! its pretty damn cool! :thumbsup:

PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360, sony PWNS the gaming industry IMO

id still much rather have a PS3 over the 360 because you still have to buy batteries for controllers, the graphics arent as up to par as the PS3, and you have to pay for xbox live and PS network is FREE!!! plus the little bonus of MGS4 and GT5(best looking game ever) for the PS3 linup as well...

Oh and i dont know if anyone else knows about it but i have a friend that is putting windows on my PS3 so you can play ANY pc game on your PS3 and run it ALOT better... i seen him running halo 1,2,&3, and gears of war and it runs it FLAWLESSLY! its pretty damn cool! :thumbsup:

That is freaking sweet!! You gotta tell me how to do that. Also I beat MGS4 twice so far going through it a 3rd time is a walk in the park, but yea man its well worth it...get it soon!

He was speaking a bunch of jibberish to me, talking about how the PS3 has 4 mini processors that run the one BIG processor?!? so it runs all the games for PC better than it does for any PC or XBOX :crazy:

oh and i have a modded blue PSP that has windows vista that im currently thinking about selling, im not too sure, it has fight night saved on the mem stick right now... i can talk to him about how to mod the PSP, its easy. i watched him mod mine in kuwait, i picked it up fast, but i forgot again :laugh:

The 360 controllers are hardly comfortable. You obviously must not have this problem, but I need to actually shift my entire hand in order to reach the trigger buttons on the 360 controllers... talk about inconvenient. The PS3 may have an old design for controllers, but why change what's not broken? Sony, after introducing the vibration, took it away from us and then had to release a new line of controllers to put it back in (and the DualShock3 is well worth it, blows the original DualShock away -- not to mention the 360's vibration). Imagine had they redesigned the controller completely omg

I had picked up the rechargeable battery packs for the ex's 360 controllers, included a wire so they could play and charge just like the PS3.

Reviews of GTA IV included that the graphics were better on the PS3 version, albeit not by much, there was a visible difference.

The PS3 isn't solely marketed as a gaming console, but as a media station. They took the chance on Blu-Ray, just as they did with DVD on the PS2 (although DVD didn't have quite the competition that BR did vs. HD-DVD), and it paid off. BR is hardly the industry standard, but technophiles and early adopters (myself included) have bought into it.

Yes, the PS3 carried a pricetag that was considered outrageous when it was released, but as the technology costs decrease and profits increase, the cost of the console goes down. We're nestled at the $399.99 & $499.99 tag at the moment, and I wouldn't doubt it if it's lower come the holiday season. Blu-Ray players alone sell for $300, even those who aren't interested in gaming but are into media take interest in the PS3 (we're the only early adoption BR players that could easily convert to profile 2.0) due to the player and it's music, video, and picture capabilities.

Xbox'ers paid $399.99 for a system that can only play games, without additional hardware and/or software, and needs to be repaired on a regular basis. Yes, it may have a larger library of games, but it has been released for some time now (Yes, it was released first, as MS failed with the original Xbox and needed to have an upper hand on Sony with the next gen. Not to mention the failure of the Xbox, and then how the PS2 is still going strong -- with titles still being developed for it lol.). Then again, I'll take quality over quantity any day :thumbsup:

I never liked the vibration in the previous PS controllers, so losing it wasn't a problem for me. The 360 vibration is minimal, and I like it. I was saddened that Blu-Ray won the format war, as I thought the term HD-DVD was rather self explanatory. I bought the 360 specifically for Mass Effect, because I was led to believe that it was only going to be on the 360. Now that it's been released for PC, I'm a bit miffed but don't regret my purchase. In short it depends on what you prefer. Each system is going to have it's pros and cons, and specific titles released only for them. I can't say that I will never buy a PS3, but it's not something that will happen in the near future.

Kastigir, I'll admit that I didn't think I'd miss the DualShock with the PS3. After upgrading to the PS2 from the PS, it took some getting used to, and sometimes I found it to be a nuisance. It wasn't until a month or so into owning the PS3 that I realized how much I missed it. I couldn't bring myself to buy one of the knock-off controllers, though, just to have it. Of course, when I got my DS3 in, I was upset that Sony didn't have GTA IV on the list of games that supported the feature, and the game didn't... until I turned the DS setting on, lol. There are various levels of the vibration, from hardly noticeable to the controller going absolutely nuts (ie, stumbling out of the bar drunk in GTA :laugh:). If you ever do pick up a PS3, you can just as easily turn the setting off or simply use the original Sixaxxis controllers (the DS3 has a little more weight than the original Sixaxxis, though).

The amount of games in the library don't matter if you have no interest in playing them. Nintendo has cranked out game-after-game for every system they've released, but very few of them are actually worthwhile if you're over the age of 10. If the 360 had different controllers, and wasn't filled with Microsoft-goodness, I still don't think I'd ever own one. The only game that I'd want to play that it has, and the PS3 doesn't/won't is Lost Odyssey. I bought my PS3 mostly for GTA IV and FFXIII. (GT5 plays little role, as racing games can only entertain me for so long in one sitting.)

As for the format war, I'm happy with BR's win. I signed on with it, and was quite pleased with the quality (some day I'll look up how to add a bookmark on the PS3, though, lol). This past Christmas, we received a Toshiba A3 as a gift, and the player itself seemed so ancient, it reminded me of the old silver/black VCRs. When I set it up, I wasn't as impressed with the picture as I had been with the Blu-Ray. I actually finally watched a full length movie on it the other night (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory with my nieces), and that title looked good but I'd want to see it on BR to compare. The damn thing takes forever to turn on though, and equally as long for the disc tray to eject, you lose interest in watching a movie by the time it's ready to go :laugh:

Nooooo, Colter, it would still require me to move my hand in order to trigger. :p

the 360 may use batteries...thats hardly a reason to choose the ps3 over it though, the ps3 controller design is 10 years old, and horrible to hold in your hands compared to the perfectly (no really, it is near on perfect) shaped 360 controller. the graphics are about even inbetween the two consoles (unless you've got a high end hd tv, you aint gonna notice the difference for crap).

and you definately cant say Sony pwns the gaming industry, they released a console that was expensive, released after the 360, has an age old controller design, and doesn't have the great games that the 360 has. Meh could go on...this war has been, and will go on for ages. i just say bring on the next round of consoles already.

oo, that sounds pretty cool about having windows run on the ps3 though...it means it'll crash after 5 minutes constantly lol, but hey it opens it up a bit more to tight asses i guess.

anyway, pretty cool the price is coming down again, makes it about £150 for a console over here then (although it'll bumped up a bit im sure). Tad annoying though, cos when i got my xbox it was twice the price!

the PS controller is the most confortable controller on the market, why do you think that that is the style controller you mostly see for PC computers... and yes the graphics are noticable, look at xbox's racing games, PGR and forza compared to PS3's GT5 that hasnt even released and is already been titled the best looking game ever... that is just a small comaprison... what game for xbox looks as good as MGS4? i have the game play demo vids on my ps3 and it looks immaculate! oh also you can install WINDOWS on your PS3 and play HALO at a better rate than it plays on xbox! same goes for gears of war! and no ive seen it run 10+ hours on windows with no problem, the ps3 is pretty much a desk top modem. look at the internet fee for xbox, its like 9.99 a month right? PS network = FREE.

sorry but soon the microsofts xbox will die, just how segas dream cast fell to the PS2

Theres a reason why the PS network is free. It sucks. Also you do realize microsoft is owning sony in this generation? And finally the price difference between PS3 gear and 360 gear more than covers the reasonable cost to XBL.

I used to be a huge sony fan. Played my PS2 easily x10 more than my Xbox and gamecube combined. But as of now even with MGS4 out I am Hard pressed to find a reason to buy a PS3 other than to use it as a paper weight or cheap blue-ray player. The graphics only get significantly better on the PS3 at a lost of gaming performance. And graphics are not everything even a large part of the battle.

(End thread jack)

Go Xbox price drop!

the PS controller is the most confortable controller on the market, why do you think that that is the style controller you mostly see for PC computers... and yes the graphics are noticable, look at xbox's racing games, PGR and forza compared to PS3's GT5 that hasnt even released and is already been titled the best looking game ever... that is just a small comaprison... what game for xbox looks as good as MGS4? i have the game play demo vids on my ps3 and it looks immaculate! oh also you can install WINDOWS on your PS3 and play HALO at a better rate than it plays on xbox! same goes for gears of war! and no ive seen it run 10+ hours on windows with no problem, the ps3 is pretty much a desk top modem. look at the internet fee for xbox, its like 9.99 a month right? PS network = FREE.

sorry but soon the microsofts xbox will die, just how segas dream cast fell to the PS2

Dude you're comparing brand new games, and games that haven't been released yet, to games that are years old.

And XBL is $50/year. I'd rather have a year of XBL than MGS4 or GT5.

Theres a reason why the PS network is free. It sucks. Also you do realize microsoft is owning sony in this generation? And finally the price difference between PS3 gear and 360 gear more than covers the reasonable cost to XBL.

I used to be a huge sony fan. Played my PS2 easily x10 more than my Xbox and gamecube combined. But as of now even with MGS4 out I am Hard pressed to find a reason to buy a PS3 other than to use it as a paper weight or cheap blue-ray player. The graphics only get significantly better on the PS3 at a lost of gaming performance. And graphics are not everything even a large part of the battle.

(End thread jack)

Go Xbox price drop!

I hands down agree with you, i've been a sony player all my life, and hated xbox...but when introduced to Live i was hooked. But then again when sony's "Home" is up and running I personally think that will kill off live, from what was being spread around ign and 1up.com is that you will be able to visit your friends "homes" and directly download what they have available to DL through a direct P2P. As well as be able to watch the same movie your friend is watching as long as they allow the P2P live stream...so I really think that HOME will give Live a run for its money.

i was talking to the guy that has windows on his PS3 the other day and he said that sony is redoing their PS network to make it run more smoothly or something... ill talk to him again and get the details... its said that the new PS network is supposed to be like xbox live but free :)

and did you know... that 2 days before the release of MGS4 50+ million PS3 units sold... just a little PS knoweledge :)

The 360 controllers are hardly comfortable.

Reviews of GTA IV included that the graphics were better on the PS3 version, albeit not by much, there was a visible difference.

Xbox'ers paid $399.99 for a system that can only play games, without additional hardware and/or software, and needs to be repaired on a regular basis. Yes, it may have a larger library of games, but it has been released for some time now (Yes, it was released first, as MS failed with the original Xbox and needed to have an upper hand on Sony with the next gen. Not to mention the failure of the Xbox, and then how the PS2 is still going strong -- with titles still being developed for it lol.). Then again, I'll take quality over quantity any day :thumbsup:

I found the Dualshock 2 controllers to be a little small IMO but then again I can palm regulation NBA basketballs with my finger tips tbh. I love my 360 contoller it fits in my hand so much I just leave it there.

As for GTA IV review did you read the part about how the PS3 has more screen tearing? Meaning seeing through the visible map, etc. A common problem with all GTA games but is distinctively more noticable in the PS3 than 360. Reviewed that way in Gameinformer.

As for saying the xbox was a failure. I'd hardly think anyone in the gaming industry would agree with that. Halo 1 and 2 outsold every PS2 game except maybe a select few. Seeing as xbox was its first generation while the PS2 was a second generation thats quite a sucess in my book. And that SUCESS turned into the xbox360. If it was such a failure the 360 wouldn't be here.

Think about the Sega Dreamcast. That was a failure... And notice something today? No more new sega consoles!

This statement makes me lol irl. Soon even if the PS3 pulls ahead in the last few years of this generation where the heck where they in the first few years? Nowhere. Microsoft gaming systems are not going anywhere. If Nintendo can go from the Gamecube "failure" to the sucess of the Wii. Im sure Microsoft can continue with their ever rising sucess with the xbox. Also I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have a PC/laptop that owns a PS3. I can understand why some people would want to just have one universal unit. But thats not my style. The whole reason I buy consoles is to play games. I'll use my comptuer to use access windows and the internet thank you. :thumbsup:

This statement makes me lol irl. Soon even if the PS3 pulls ahead in the last few years of this generation where the heck where they in the first few years? Nowhere. Microsoft gaming systems are not going anywhere. If Nintendo can go from the Gamecube "failure" to the sucess of the Wii. Im sure Microsoft can continue with their ever rising sucess with the xbox. Also I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have a PC/laptop that owns a PS3. I can understand why some people would want to just have one universal unit. But thats not my style. The whole reason I buy consoles is to play games. I'll use my comptuer to use access windows and the internet thank you.:thumbsup:

ehh putting windows on a PS3 is for playing games that are PC and xbox exclusive, and the PS3 runs it better than the PC or 360, hence halo1 2 and 3 and gears of war... they both run ALOT better on a modded PS3 than they do on my xbox... halo 3 laggs in spots on my xbox, but doesnt lag on the PS3 at all... i dont use my PS3 for net, thats why i have a laptop... but like its always said, to each his own...

As for saying the xbox was a failure. I'd hardly think anyone in the gaming industry would agree with that. Halo 1 and 2 outsold every PS2 game except maybe a select few. Seeing as xbox was its first generation while the PS2 was a second generation thats quite a sucess in my book. And that SUCESS turned into the xbox360. If it was such a failure the 360 wouldn't be here.

Even with the release of the PS2, Sony brought out the "PSone". My reference to the Xbox failing what in comparison to the other systems on that market at the time. The GameCube was also a failure, and as you said, Nintendo revived themselves with the Wii (which I always said was going to be their make-it-or-break-it-console). Microsoft was so quick to sweep the XB under the rug.

Soon even if the PS3 pulls ahead in the last few years of this generation where the heck where they in the first few years? Nowhere.

It is hard to be somewhere when the console isn't even released yet. Sony took a risk with the PS3, just as they did with the PS2, but they did know enough not to release a product that was going to have such a high hardware failure rate. Microsoft has been doing it for ages with Windows, so what did it matter to them if they released a less-than-complete piece of equipment? :laugh:

But saying the PS3 runs better than a PC as in any PC thats not true in anyway lol.

Perhaps it's because I'm tired, but I have no idea what this is trying to say, lol.

BTW, price drops are coming for both consoles come fall.

Perhaps it's because I'm tired, but I have no idea what this is trying to say, lol.

BTW, price drops are coming for both consoles come fall.

he was quoting me when i said that the modded PS3 runs halo 1 2 and 3 and gears of war better than the 360 and PC's... and from what i have seen so far, the PS3 runs halo 1,2,and 3 better than my friends alienware laptop... and he had his alienware built for playing games...

he was quoting me when i said that the modded PS3 runs halo 1 2 and 3 and gears of war better than the 360 and PC's... and from what i have seen so far, the PS3 runs halo 1,2,and 3 better than my friends alienware laptop... and he had his alienware built for playing games...

Laptops, even those built for gaming, are not a good indicator of PC performance. Play those games on a comparably equipped PC, then compare them to the PS3 and get back to me. Also, Alienware is overpriced crap.

I agree lap top gaming is a step down from PC gaming.

As for the xbox being a fail I still don't think just cause another console out sold it means its a fail. A fail to me is the Sega dreamcast as already stated. Where they have to actually come out and say oh our console is a POS and we failed. Microsoft just stoped producing the xbox to focus the market and themselves on the new generation which is proving to very sucessful.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit, I'm rather surprised to see so much support for the PS3. It's a really powerful console, I will give it that. But I think it might be a few years ahead of it's time. For those of you who don't know of Yahtzee from the Escapist, check this out: Console Rundown

Anyway, sure, the PS3 has better graphics. Duh. It's got several times the power of the 360, and several orders of magnitude above that of the Wii.

the PS3 has 4 mini processors that run the one BIG processor?!?

It's actually a set of 9 processors, a primary and 8 SPE's (Synergistic Processing Elements); a main processor that delegates to the others, one for the OS, 6 for gaming, and one that is disabled so that even if one of the cores is bad, the PS3 will still run. The primary processor is a 3.2 GHz PowerPC core with a 512 K cache(geeze, could they have shoved any more steroids into the thing?). Not sure what SPE's are.. I think they're probably the same, but I'll try and verify that later.

Ok, this could probably be rephrased... maybe the PS3 PWNS the 360 or the other two... I respectfully disagree on that part, but I'll argue for the 360 later. The PS3 most certainly does NOT PWN the entire industry however. It overpowers it, sure. However, in terms of sales, the PS3 has only become a serious contender recently. For the first year it just lacked the game lineup to actually compete. Sure, you could play the entire backline of games for the previous playstations, but who cares. You could pick up a PS2 for 1/4 the price to do that.

Can't resist:

Lite0003.jpg

Sorry, I'm done now. Please don't flame me for liking Ctrl Alt Del. If you hate it or Tim Buckley, well, that's your problem. Or his. I happen to like it.

I will admit, installing Windows on it to play PC games maxed out for only $500, that's definitely a big plus for it. I may actually consider buying one now when it comes time for a new rig. To build a PC that could play games as well as a console would cost at least $2000. My dream PC would probably reach well into the $3k range.

Xbox'ers paid $399.99 for a system that can only play games, without additional hardware and/or software, and needs to be repaired on a regular basis.

As for the 360's "bad case of the gremlins," well... I can't say I'm surprised, as it is a microsoft product. However, mine hasn't had any troubles in the year I've owned it. It's spontaneously restarted twice, and it's loud. That's honestly all I can say against the console in and of itself. As for being only good for games, have you ever checked out what Xbox Live has to offer? You can download TV shows (yes it's for a cost, I hate that, but I'm just mentioning the capability). You can stream video and music off of your computer. Sure, the 360 can only handle a few formats, but with a bit of effort and Notepad, you can get Windows Media Player 9 to decode the video files for the 360, and go from there. Is it as good as the PS3's setup... Probably not. Having fiddled around with PS3's though, I prefer the Xbox 360 Dashboard to whatever the PS3's is called.

Finally, Final Fantasy XIII was mentioned earlier. I don't know how many have heard this yet, but the core FF games are no longer a Playstation exclusive. Final Fantasy XIII will also be released on the 360. Ok, I'm sorry, I know I promised not to add any more... But it just fits too perfectly.

Lite0019.jpg

Oh, and as for the Wii... the reason for it's success was novelty. Motion Sensitive hadn't been done on a console, and they managed to pull it off reasonably well. Put simply, Wii for those who aren't gamers by any stretch of the word, or people under 10. The PS3 for those who want the powerhouse they can brag about it's capabilities, which generally aren't even getting a workout with the best graphics designers can put out. The 360 is the only one of the consoles that's still sitting in the same niche as the PS2 and Xbox filled in the last generation, and the N64 in the generation before that. It's the one that's got the power to put out some nice graphics, and one of the best controllers we've seen since the N64. (The N64 controller was hands down the best controller ever designed. Period, end of discussion. If you want to disagree, go play Goldeneye first). The Playstation Controller is definitely good too, and beats both the Fatty and the S controller from the original Xbox. Does it beat the 360's? Well, that's more a question of do your hands fit the 360 controller properly? The biggest advantage the Playstation controllers have over the 360's is that they fit a wider range of hand sizes. The rest is merely a matter of personal preference.

Archived