gas prices

^lol sucks...not many on HF know what we go through with LA traffic...most people on here have no idea what real traffic is lol

Truf. Allison thinks this place must be the pit of hell because of it, but hey I at least have reliable internets!

Do you have to drive up the 405? I'm lucky right now, I'm about 15 miles from my work but I can just take Victory and then a few other surface streets. There are still the lights, but the traffic is much more bearable. I worked nights for years and years thus avoiding traffic, so I am not so cool and collected after a bit of stop and go.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I no longer look at the price of gas either (well, I'll compare different towns since I"m traveling). Some gas stations charge 12 cents for each grade change and some 15 cents. There are a few around that are still only 10 cents per grade jump. I go to the gas stations that are only 10cents each jump which saves me 10cents/gallon over the ones that charge 15/grade (since I'm 2 grades up from 87).

I don't hate the gas prices..... I just hate the fact that our money is too tight to adjust well to the change and I also hate that I have to drive as much. Actual gas prices though I don't hate at all. Us American's have had it so good for so long that we don't even realize that we are still way under the curve in comparison to places like Italy, France, even Canada. We're just pissed because we are now paying the same prices as other popular countries and we all think we should have it better than them. I'm perfectly fine as long as it doesn't hit the $8/gallon that it is in some European countries.

Edit: Oh...and I believe that Missouri is the cheapest in the country and my area is about 2nd or 3rd cheapest in Missouri. I filled up for 3.94 for 93 octane yesterday. Regular (87) was 3.73 (and still is today).

We're just pissed because we are now paying the same prices as other popular countries and we all think we should have it better than them.

A lot of the population simply can't afford it. It's not as though it's a temporary thing, either. I can see gas sitting around $4 and over for the next year, next summer we'll deal with $5-6 (or more) ranges in gas, and they'll sit at $5, etc. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no idea what the cost of gas is in other countries (nor do I honestly care), and I don't believe we need to or should have things better than these areas.

Gas costs more, food costs more. We have people who can't pay the mortgage on their home because they have to choose between getting gas to go to work and having food over paying the "rent". There are people who need to find second jobs in order to afford to go to their regular job, while there are plenty of people who can't even find one job.

A lot of the population simply can't afford it. It's not as though it's a temporary thing, either. I can see gas sitting around $4 and over for the next year, next summer we'll deal with $5-6 (or more) ranges in gas, and they'll sit at $5, etc. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no idea what the cost of gas is in other countries (nor do I honestly care), and I don't believe we need to or should have things better than these areas.

Gas costs more, food costs more. We have people who can't pay the mortgage on their home because they have to choose between getting gas to go to work and having food over paying the "rent". There are people who need to find second jobs in order to afford to go to their regular job, while there are plenty of people who can't even find one job.

I agree and the change is what is the hardest. I guess that's something I hadn't thought about is that other places with higher gas prices have had decades to adjust to those prices wheras we have had decades to adjust to our previous prices so the change is difficult. I understand the deal with getting to work. My commute to work costs me $12 out of my paycheck every single day.....if I made minimum wage then that would be 2 hours of work just to get to work. So.......give us a decade or two to get used to the change and I suppose we'll be a little better off (assuming it doesn't get to $15/gallon by then).

Truf. Allison thinks this place must be the pit of hell because of it, but hey I at least have reliable internets!

cali has got to suck (slluuurrrpp.. that was just for you) because of the traffic, seriously, id be shot in a week, then what good would awesome interweebs do me i ask you?

cali has got to suck (slluuurrrpp.. that was just for you) because of the traffic, seriously, id be shot in a week, then what good would awesome interweebs do me i ask you?

Lol, thanks for the slllurrppp :)

Bell is a monster at slurping, from what I've heard *looks around*

Gas prices are outrageous. I could tolerate $3.25 a gallon last year, thats where it should have been with inflation since the 80's. Now that it increased over 33%, it's time we start doing something. We can drill oil from Texas and Alaska for $3 per 55 gallon barrel, which would put gas prices down at just under $1 a gallon. We have over 500 years of oil reserved in the USA alone, and Russia *JUST* tapped into some deep oil lines in the Earth, which is estimating to last them a few hundred years more. THERE IS NO SHORTAGE IN OIL.

The world is buying the crude oil in USD, which in most countries, is worth jack crap. Some of the smaller 3rd world oil suppliers are refusing to accept the USD for their oil, which is sending them into their own Civil wars and possibly the US jumping in to fight that a well. The war in Iraq was all about the oil to begin with; there never were any WMD located there.

*sighs*

If everyone got a raise equal to the inflation rate + gas prices, then not many would complain! But, the truth about our economy is that it's so slow that people just are going to suffer! It sucks!

I really do believe that gas prices are only up juuuuust because oil companies feeeeel like making more profit!! Instead of running more efficiently to make more profit, they just charge us!! And they can because we will buy anyway!

Do you have to drive up the 405? I'm lucky right now, I'm about 15 miles from my work but I can just take Victory and then a few other surface streets. There are still the lights, but the traffic is much more bearable. I worked nights for years and years thus avoiding traffic, so I am not so cool and collected after a bit of stop and go.

I drive on the 101...I'm lucky I don't get on the 405 lol.

That's really good: 15 minutes on streets is awesome! I'm 30 mins. on freeway and then 1 hour or more to get back home...

I drive on the 101...I'm lucky I don't get on the 405 lol.

That's really good: 15 minutes on streets is awesome! I'm 30 mins. on freeway and then 1 hour or more to get back home...

Yikes, yeah I don't touch the freeways anymore. Was taking the 101 but got sick of the accident stops. I still use them at night and for longer travels, but to work is 30-35 min mostly just down Victory until I get to North Hollywood.

The inflated gas prices are good for us in the long run.

They are forcing people to utilize mass transit systems that have long been scoffed it. It will cause a reinvigorated downtown in many large cities from people moving back from the suburbs which will stop urban sprawl. It is spurring a huge push for alternative fuel options which will ultimately lead to our independence from the middle eastern oil. Lastly, even if you are not into the whole global warming thing, you still must recognize that burning oil does pollute and people scaling back their driving and switching to alternative options will ultimately lead to cleaner air for us and our kids.

The inflated gas prices are good for us in the long run.

They are forcing people to utilize mass transit systems that have long been scoffed it. It will cause a reinvigorated downtown in many large cities from people moving back from the suburbs which will stop urban sprawl. It is spurring a huge push for alternative fuel options which will ultimately lead to our independence from the middle eastern oil. Lastly, even if you are not into the whole global warming thing, you still must recognize that burning oil does pollute and people scaling back their driving and switching to alternative options will ultimately lead to cleaner air for us and our kids.

wow someone sees the good :D hehe and these points are all true... :D

I checked prices today here in So.Cal as I was driving by the station. I only fill up around once a month since I don't need to do too much driving.

87: $4.65

89: $4.75

91: $4.83

Hi Drew!

4.83 is high for 91. Around here its just above $4 for 92.....

Texas is always cheap, no? My friend who was stationed there used to buy 97 octane for way less than my 87 octane. This was a few years ago though. would be cool to be able to buy 97 in CA.

Archived