need some help with my hatch!!

yes i was wondering what can i do to my hatch to make it faster without the use of a turbo. i bought the car from my dad so its pretty fixed up, it has a b18 gsr engine it, but i dont know exactly what other mods it has. I am not a mechanic so can anyone help me out and let me know what engine mods i can do to make the car as fast as possible without the use of a turbo? ***:ninja: ***

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes i was wondering what can i do to my hatch to make it faster without the use of a turbo. i bought the car from my dad so its pretty fixed up, it has a b18 gsr engine it, but i dont know exactly what other mods it has. I am not a mechanic so can anyone help me out and let me know what engine mods i can do to make the car as fast as possible without the use of a turbo? ***:ninja: ***

Hi is there a reason you are so dead set against about going boost? well regardless of your reason you must understand that nothing else will take you to the power levels boost can, but lets move on to your other options. since you want to stay NA your pretty much limited to the old trusty methods, like intake, header, exhaust and proper tunning. If you want to gain more then that try a zex NOS kit, a small 50 shot wont even need different spark plugs then you run now. between all the above mentioned things you should be able to reach 230HP at the flywheel pretty easily.

resleeve and 85mm bore

92mm crank

11.8:1 if you have 93, 11.4:1 if you have 91, raised pin

custom long rods

dry sump

headwork

big cams

custom header

custom intake manifold

Motec

close gear set

etc

resleeve and 85mm bore

92mm crank

11.8:1 if you have 93, 11.4:1 if you have 91, raised pin

custom long rods

dry sump

headwork

big cams

custom header

custom intake manifold

Motec

close gear set

etc

I think the same reasons he dont want to go boost will keep him from considering any of those ideas, sounds like he dont want to do any type of real work on it. if your going to start getting into that much work might as well build it for boost.

sorry i didnt list the other things it has allready. It has custom headers full meagan exaust, cold air intake. I was just wondering about the more mechanical stuff like boring over ported and polished, injectors, cranks, etc. different stuff like that. i have nothing againsta turbo but i heard alot of turbos usually mess up the engines.

Hi is there a reason you are so dead set against about going boost? well regardless of your reason you must understand that nothing else will take you to the power levels boost can, but lets move on to your other options. since you want to stay NA your pretty much limited to the old trusty methods, like intake, header, exhaust and proper tunning. If you want to gain more then that try a zex NOS kit, a small 50 shot wont even need different spark plugs then you run now. between all the above mentioned things you should be able to reach 230HP at the flywheel pretty easily.

i am not canceling a turbo out, i just dont want it to mess up my engine. I love turbos and always wanted one in my car, but i have heard alot of bad things. So do u think if i put a turbo in it with that engine it would be ok?

sorry i didnt list the other things it has allready. It has custom headers full meagan exaust, cold air intake. I was just wondering about the more mechanical stuff like boring over ported and polished, injectors, cranks, etc. different stuff like that. i have nothing againsta turbo but i heard alot of turbos usually mess up the engines.

Only if done wrong, and improperly tuned and to high of boost for motor! :thumbsup:

Only if done wrong, and improperly tuned and to high of boost for motor! :thumbsup:

allright well thanks, it is already fixed up from exterior to interior to engine. so i dont mind sinking more money to make the thing faster. I just want it to have at least like 230-250 horses

allright well thanks, it is already fixed up from exterior to interior to engine. so i dont mind sinking more money to make the thing faster. I just want it to have at least like 230-250 horses

People build turbo kits for $1000.00 or sometimes less if they know what they are doing, and get good deals! Just stay the hell away from Egay setups! :crazy:

People build turbo kits for $1000.00 or sometimes less if they know what they are doing, and get good deals! Just stay the hell away from Egay setups! :crazy:

wow where do u find a turbo kit that cheap, a good one. and dont worry i hate ebay that crap is cheap and junk

wow where do u find a turbo kit that cheap, a good one. and dont worry i hate ebay that crap is cheap and junk

Shop til you drop man! Good deals are out there, but research is key! I dont think any one makes a kit that cheap except the egay crap! I know people on my other formums that put together there own setups and have there own tuning soft ware and ability to do it themselves! :thumbsup: Dyno, and tuning is major expense! :crazy:

Shop til you drop man! Good deals are out there, but research is key! I dont think any one makes a kit that cheap except the egay crap! I know people on my other formums that put together there own setups and have there own tuning soft ware and ability to do it themselves! :thumbsup: Dyno, and tuning is major expense! :crazy:

i have looked and looked before with my previous cars, and good one i have found was like 2000 and up which is probably what i am going to get. how much does dyno and tuing cost?

i have looked and looked before with my previous cars, and good one i have found was like 2000 and up which is probably what i am going to get. how much does dyno and tuing cost?

I am wrong guy to ask Solinmysol just had all of his done check his build thread for his Sol!

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry302440

Also depends on the area you live in, any compatition, and ect!

well most guys do what i did and build one them selfs. and a turbo never hurts a motor, what hurts the motor is not building it to handle the boost and not getting it tuned properly. many OEM cars come with turbos and run for ever. i actually have a turbo for sale right now that has less then 10k miles on it im selling it and the o2 housing for 300 plus shipping. look around for deals like that and you will be able to peice together a set up pretty cheap. The turbo i have for sale is a little on the small side for a GSR but im just giving you a example. By the way to make your motor ready to run boost depends on what power level you want to run, but if you only want to run in some where around 300 to 350 whp all you need is pistons and rods and i would upgrade to ARP head studs, heck the stock rods could about handle it but i would do them any way to be safe. thats all you would need to do the rest could be oem honda and be fine, unless your shooting for 450+ whp its very easy to build your motor to handle boost. my motor is rated for 120 hp stock and all i did was whats listed in my sig and i have more then doubled its out put and i drive it every day and race it every weekend with no problems.

well most guys do what i did and build one them selfs. and a turbo never hurts a motor, what hurts the motor is not building it to handle the boost and not getting it tuned properly. many OEM cars come with turbos and run for ever. i actually have a turbo for sale right now that has less then 10k miles on it im selling it and the o2 housing for 300 plus shipping. look around for deals like that and you will be able to peice together a set up pretty cheap. The turbo i have for sale is a little on the small side for a GSR but im just giving you a example. By the way to make your motor ready to run boost depends on what power level you want to run, but if you only want to run in some where around 300 to 350 whp all you need is pistons and rods and i would upgrade to ARP head studs, heck the stock rods could about handle it but i would do them any way to be safe. thats all you would need to do the rest could be oem honda and be fine, unless your shooting for 450+ whp its very easy to build your motor to handle boost. my motor is rated for 120 hp stock and all i did was whats listed in my sig and i have more then doubled its out put and i drive it every day and race it every weekend with no problems.

I was too lazy to write it out earlier, but what he said! :thumbsup:

cool man im going to go ahead and get a turbo then its sounds like the only real thing i have left to do. im not looking for any thing more than 300 horses so u think if i put a turbo on the engine it would be fine?...

cool man im going to go ahead and get a turbo then its sounds like the only real thing i have left to do. im not looking for any thing more than 300 horses so u think if i put a turbo on the engine it would be fine?...

Well what pieces go into a turbo kit, so i can try to piece one together. I want a preety good size turbo though, so if u can list parts i need i can start getting them and find a good mechanic to put it in for me...thanks

Well what pieces go into a turbo kit, so i can try to piece one together. I want a preety good size turbo though, so if u can list parts i need i can start getting them and find a good mechanic to put it in for me...thanks

Go to homemadeturbo.com

I'll say one thing. Do not cheap out on tuning. Tuning decides weather your motor lives a short life or a long glorious one. Stay away from crome and stuff. Stick with Neptune or Hondata because alot of times you get what you pay for. I've seen stock motors make amazing power with a good tune.

Well what pieces go into a turbo kit, so i can try to piece one together. I want a pretty good size turbo though, so if u can list parts i need i can start getting them and find a good mechanic to put it in for me...thanks

you need to decide what type of driving you plan on using the car for, its very important when choosing your turbo that you correctly match the turbo to what you want from the car, a turbo thats on the small side for your motor will spool almost instantly and by like you hit a nos button right off the line but it will start pooping out in the midrange and high rpms. a turbo thats in the middle will still spool very quick and give amazing mid range power but again will poop out a little on the top end, a turbo thats on the large size will not spool up until high in the rpm range but when it does it will be a rocket blast all the way till redline this is typically for cars that drag race only, guys who want that peak hp number to brag about typically make little low and midrange power.

so once you decide what you want from the car you match the turbo up. you will also need a intercooler, bigger injectors, engine management, piping for the cold and hot side of the turbo set up, a boost controller if you want more boost then the wastegate spring is set for. you will need to decide if you want to go with internal or external wastegate. then of course the motor upgrades we spoke of and make sure when you buy the pistons you get ones for boost that lower the GSRs compression down to around 9. this is basically all you need aside from some minor odds and ends.

Archived