I just got a Garmin StreetPilot c550 navigation unit. I just got it this morning and now it won't work. I figured it was out of charge, since it was new and i was testing it out with low battery power anyway, so i brought it into the house to charge it using the USB - won't light up. It lit up early but not now. So then i went to the car, turned the ignition, plugged it in and now it won't light up using the cigarette lighter either. What is the problem?? Yes, I know I can return it but i bought it online and they said that id' have to send it to GARMIN and have them deal with it.

I googled the problem and it seems like its a common thing. One guy said it could be a bad USB cord. If this is the case, can I go to a local electronic store and pick up a USB cable or does it have to be made by Garmin? HELP!

yeah you could do that or like my gps (a magellan) it sometimes will freeze in what looks like a off mode. even if the charger says it is charging it won't do anything. I gotta hit the reset switch, in your case it might be a small tiny pinhole of a button.

Just a idea though.

hhhhmmm... weird.... so it did turn on and you did use it. it might be a bad cable and not the unit. you know?

is it a special cord or like a normal usb mini to normal usb cord?

if it is a mini usb like a digital camera uses could you try it on something else that uses the same cord?

you know what I am saying?

Hopefully you don't have to send the unit away. that is why I hate buying online, if it breaks, it is impossible to return or get fixed.

btw. Magellan FTW.

hhhhmmm... weird.... so it did turn on and you did use it. it might be a bad cable and not the unit. you know?

is it a special cord or like a normal usb mini to normal usb cord?

if it is a mini usb like a digital camera uses could you try it on something else that uses the same cord?

you know what I am saying?

Thats not a bad idea. I will try that!

yeah it turned on right when i opened the box and tried in the car.

Archived