mugen turbo kit

lunchbox_2021

ok so heres the deal i have a 86 crx si with a 1.5 i know back in the day mugen made a tubo kit for that motor does anyone know someone who may know someone if there are any of these left in exsistence if so let me know i have alot of rare parts on my car and this one would top it all. thanks

mugen made a turbo kit way back in the day, like in the 80's. thats why mugen opted to make a supercharged fit and civic because they already did a turbo. but only available in japan.

ht mag aticle

We're lost on the "de novo" part-must be some sort of French interjection-but we believe the intentions. Mugen claims the blower is good for more than 300hp on the Type R engine.So why a supercharger and not a turbo kit? Most Honda enthusiasts feel it's an inalienable right to love turbos, and Mugen has done turbo before. In 1985, they sold a boost kit for the CRX.

That turbo kit was developed in conjunction with their sweet Mügen body kit for the 1G CRX.

I was never one to collect all rare CRX items, some just did not look cool. Alot of the items really come from the 1G Civic, e.g. privacy shade for the hatch, orange fog light (top-mounted to the front bumper), black faux-wire rims, etc.

You should keep busy enough tracking down all the stereo upgrades: rear-speakers (mounted on the shock pillars), the equilizer, and an original (working) stereo.

There used to be a website, www.turborex.com, where this guy was selling a pretty well build kit, but that site is gone now. You would do just as well to piece your own kit together, assuming you are capable of such a task.

On a side note, I thought the Mügen Turbo Kit was only made for the 1985-1987 CRX 1.6i-16 (D16), not any of the Si models.

wow I totally did not know that. I could have swore they didn't.

So when I argued with people about them making turbo kits I was wrong.

I feel stupid but this was back in the DAY. so it is not too far.

you mean this sweet ass mugen 9 piece kit?

Yes, the last photo is the kit. Fyi, the kit pictured is meant for the 1985-1986 CRX body styles and the car in the photos does not have the Mügen kit on it. Although, it does have the Mügen rims.

About the car in the photo, the head lights say 1987, but the interior is 1986. The hatch is not 1987 Si, but the car does have the moon roof and therefore is an Si, but older than 1987. The bumpers and sideskirts are from an '87 Si. That car is a strange mix of parts, but it looks like someone took an '86 Si and put a bunch of '87 Si parts on it.

Here is a 1987 Honda CRX 1.6i-16:

DSCF0111.jpg

And here is a 1987 Honda CRX Si with the Mügen kit (sans Mügen rims), see how they took the 1987 headlights and swapped with pre-'87 lights:

339565_40_full.jpg

• 1 month later...

turbo "kit's" did not sell for the 84-87 CRX's back then. Mugen may have done a one off japan only, but i have the king motorsports catalogs from back then and there was NO Mugen turbo. the first "kit" i remember was A-T engineering's for the 88 Si model. i even have articles from then where journalists went to mugen japan and drove two modded cars there... neither were turbo. IF Mugen made a turbo this journalist would have driven it... no? both cars were carb'ed one with dual 38's i think.

also i have the Jackson "mugen" 9 piece kit and had the header panel trimmed to fit the 87 headlights... none of the above pic's show the full kit on the car. i do have the rear spoiler (for sale!) too but it was painted black (got it used jackson never made one) and never installed cuz i had an si spoiler on back. i'll post pic's soon.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW i never knew that mugen made a turbo kit back in the day, i mean i heard of the city turbo and all but i didnt think they made a turbo for anything... i thought mugen and spoon were just into making N/A monsters... guess i was wrong -_-

I know 2 people with the kit and neither will sell. You'll be very very hard pressed to find one available. What you need is a 87 Si trans with a Quaife LSD.

I know 2 people with the kit and neither will sell. You'll be very very hard pressed to find one available. What you need is a 87 Si trans with a Quaife LSD.

mugen made a turbo kit???? thats cool in my opinion youll never find it cause its probably rare.... so do what i was going to do get a hf exaust manifold, and ( this turbo stuff is on 1g talons) get the turbo the injectors all the lines the intercooler or get a front mount and get the stock bov or get your own and put it together and all so the missing link so you can run boost with out the computer tripping out on you k..... the tdo5h talon turbo should bolt right up to the manifold ( make sure its and hf manifold )

mugen made a turbo kit? ??? thats cool in my opinion youll never find it cause its probably rare.... so do what i was going to do get a hf exaust manifold, and ( this turbo stuff is on 1g talons) get the turbo the injectors all the lines the intercooler or get a front mount and get the stock bov or get your own and put it together and all so the missing link so you can run boost with out the computer tripping out on you k..... the tdo5h talon turbo should bolt right up to the manifold ( make sure its and hf manifold )

he wanted a MUGEN turbo b/c he has RARE parts on his ReX, not some peice together turbo....

Archived