Official General Photography Thread Part II

CRG7

Like it so far, but I need more glass. All I have is a 70-300. So I'm looking into a Sigma 17-70 AF and a 50mm f/1.4 prime.

Then a flash and I'll be set

You should look at the Nikon 18-70 instead of the 17-70 in my opinion. The 18-70 is a real bincredibleargain lens and if you're willing to go used, you can find them for $200 or under. Or you could just splurge for the 17-55 :)incredible

You'll definitely like the 50mm though. I have the 50mm f1.8 (didn't see the need for the 1.4....still don't), and I love it. A lot of fun shooting with a large aperture and both 50's are really sharp.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm gonna go for the 1.8. I like the focal length, it's great for landscapes and portraits. Used it on a friend of mine D300 and fell in love. Plus it's 200 bucks cheaper.

I agree, I use my 50mm almost exclusively for portrait shots. For Landscapes I just use the 18-55 kit lens stopped down to f8-f16. Stopped down that far the kit lens is as sharp as any pro glass. Only difference (at those apertures) is the better contrast/saturation in the pro-glass, but I can fix that in PP.

Here's a few more from my attempts from a couple nights ago

add5b02a.jpg

d4f91815.jpg

dcf9ccc1.jpg

HDR is one shot compiled of muliple, I believe five or more. Shoot at different lengths of time, but at the same aperature. It gets the best of each shot and compiles it into one. I never got into HDR. They are like, the perfect picture.

800px-Lowther_Southern_uplands-HDR.jpg

hdr_2stir3-1.jpg

There are really good ways to do it, as you can see in the second picture, some of the colors are a bit of or dull.

Most HDR (High Dynamic Range) shots are usually three shots: One exposed for highlights, one for midtones, and one for shadows. Almost every camera has an AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) function that will fire off three shots exposed (roughly) for each.

Here's one of my better attempts at it (anyone want to give me $100 so I can actually buy photomatix?)

IMG_0788_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

is this worth a damn? P80

trying to decide what to buy. i want something that is small enough and versatile enough to take with me on backpacking and hiking trips, yet be able to capture shots that do justice to the places I hike to. I predominantly would be taking landscape, architecture and car (of course) shots, but not so many portrait shots.

HDR sucks and I absolutely hate it

I'm with you about 90% of the time. Some situations HDR can work well, but all these people overusing it and using it when it's not needed ruins it for me. I think it should only been used when there's a strong contrast between something bright and something dark.

Kind of like IR. IR is really cool effect, as long as you don't ruin the effect by doing every shot in IR.

The HDR comments gave me an idea. Here's my latest reverse macro shots using HDR (3 raw exposures). My first attempt at HDR and not sure what I was doing, but it gave a little different look. Oh, these are really early redbud buds.....our tree is just starting to bloom.

7620aa6a.jpg

7107711a.jpg

19f4c6f0.jpg

Archived