92 civic lx acceleration lagging

Nizmo

ok well i do know a few things about civics and after trying to figure it out for over a week i'm decideing to ask around..anywayz here is my problem when i am sitting at a stop light my idle is irregular it sputters but doesnt die and when i accelerate it bogs down and and then when i hit the gas a lil more it accelerates amother, but lately its been doing it in 3rd gear or like today i was accelerateing it was bogging even after i switched gears on the highway but after awhile it stops..anyone have any ideas? i just replaced the spark plugs and the wires and the head gasket, i installed a complete catback system but that was in the beggining of the summer and i just started to have that problem, also the heat barely works in the car when i turn corners it gets cold and then warms a bit but as soon as i turn a corner is gets cold, and i keep loseing coolent, i already refilled it twice but i dont see a leak anywhere, i parked in a clean spot in my driveway and put a cardboard box underneath and it didnt show any signs of a leak, and i had the distributor replaced awhile back..anywayz can anyone help? i would appreciate that, thanks.

ok here is an update..i just pulled all my spark plugs to check them and number 2 spark plug's thread was cover in oil..so i cleaned it off and put it back on..started the car an it still idles rough and lagged on acceleration, but while driveing i noticed that the temp guage was a lil higher than the middle and it stayed there, when i got to wal mart which is like 3min drive or so...i shut the car off, got a pop at a vending machine..got back in my car started it up and there was alot of smoke comeing from my exhaust like grayish smoke, more than usual, so i kept driveing as i was turning i noticed my temp guage went all the way up to hot, but as soon as i was driveing straight it went back to a lil bit above middle point and stayed there but everytime i turned it would go up and then down when i drive straight, so when i got home i popped my hood and the water in my resivour was boiling, never had that happen before, and i just put coolent in the other day, so my guess is it might be the head gasket since i dont see a leak, but i was wondeing if it was just the water pump or not..anywayz nobody got back to me yet, but i'm just posting an update.let me know what you guys think it might be..i rarely take my car to a shop i usually do everything myself. thanks (oh and i dont think my radiator fan turns on, and i just replaced the relay right after i got home, i have a few laying around my garage that i got awhile back that were good, but still fan didnt work)

i thought it might be too..but i checked my oil and there is no coolent, i just checked all my hoses for a leak and the hoses were fine ( i squeezed them while the car was running) so idk..it just started to do all this like a week or 2 ago..i was thinking about buying a new radiator but i dont wanna just throw away money if it isnt the radiator, also i just filled up the radiator to the top..so i will check it in the morning or later tonight to see if it leaked out or what not.

ok here is another update..i flushed my radiator today and ran only water..and then as i was looking under the car i saw oil leaking from my cat. converter..but only when the car was running, anywayz i bought this ENGINE, RADIATOR, and HEAD GASKET sealer stuff thats why i was flushing my radiator, when i finally filled the sealer stuff into the engine and ran it 30 min, i no longer saw oil dripping or leaking, i know most of you might say i probably shouldnt have used any kinda sealer stuff but i wanted to give it a try, cuz if it makes it worse well i could alwayz just get another engine, like the one i wanted the D15B JDM vtec, anywayz i have to wait 24hours for the stuff to cure then i can run fresh coolent, i'm also replaceing the spark plugs.

I had a similar situation, I found that my water pump was working but not as it should... seals were leaking just enough that the coolant would leak down & splash back under the car... so I never saw a leak.

I agree with the others, head gasket.

As far as your temp going up while turning.... I'd say since you had to slow down to turn... the airflow cooling the motor was a lot less & spiked the temp... once straight the air was cooling better....

Cooling fan issue.... I know of at least 3 relays.... and 2 fuses that can be bad causing the fan to not work.... or it could be a temp sending unit not functioning to tell the fan to kick on.

Not reccomended... but you could run your fan through a toggle switch & constant power feed..... shutting off when stopped..... quick hillbilly fix.....LOL

Hope I helped a bit.

yup water pump is leaking..this morning at 7am i was on my way to work when the car started to over heat so i pulled over and shut it off and there was steam comeing from under the hood but not in the front, by the driver side windshield, so i had the car towed to my house and looked at the pump and it defenitly is leaking, thanks evryone for the help, and skyvi05 thanks for the info! as for the head gasket, well after i replaced the spark plugs the engine stopped idleing rough so i think it was just bad spark plugs.

ok quick update i replaced the water pump and it was a pain in the arse, anywayz so far i drove it and it was fine i will know more tmarrow when i drive to work, but ya i did all the work myself and i didnt break the car :p

oh and my wife helped too..with moral support and she tried to untighted the crank shaft pully..and then finally i got the bolt of after 2 hours.

Edited by Nizmo

ok quick update i replaced the water pump and it was a pain in the arse, anywayz so far i drove it and it was fine i will know more tmarrow when i drive to work, but ya i did all the work myself and i didnt break the car :p

oh and my wife helped too..with moral support and she tried to untighted the crank shaft pully..and then finally i got the bolt of after 2 hours.

That's awesome !!! Glad it was a fix you were able to handle...... always a plus to have "help" from the better half.......... now if I can just get mine to understand why I need a 12mm & not the "cresent thingy" !!! LOL