Wire tuck on a daily driver

So, I've really been wanting to clean up the engine bay to match the cleanliness and sleekness of the exterior of my car. So....I've been thinking about doing a wire tuck. Nothing hugely crazy, but I guess a minor wire tuck. Only concern is that it's my daily driver and I drive it alot so I don't want to have headaches if I'm chasing down wires in the future.

Any ideas on what parts to tuck that would be easier to do and not cause headaches down the road?

Here's a pick of my engine bay for reference

Engine9small.jpg

So, I've really been wanting to clean up the engine bay to match the cleanliness and sleekness of the exterior of my car. So....I've been thinking about doing a wire tuck. Nothing hugely crazy, but I guess a minor wire tuck. Only concern is that it's my daily driver and I drive it alot so I don't want to have headaches if I'm chasing down wires in the future.

Any ideas on what parts to tuck that would be easier to do and not cause headaches down the road?

Here's a pick of my engine bay for reference

Engine9small.jpg

Dont people usually do tucks on bays with no AC/PS? also relocating battery to back of car and fusebox to under the dash.

Edit: How did I end up quoting you?

Edited by EH6TunerDaniel

Yeah, I've thought about relocating the fuse box under the dash and moving the battery to the back. I'm not getting rid of PS or AC which is why I said that I don't plan to go crazy with the tuck. I just wanna clean it up a bit. Stock engine bay just looks so messy.

Edited by HungGSR

Just a guess, but I would think that it'd be hard to do w/o removing components as well (such as ac/ps). I think that's what Dan was getting at.

But you'd prob just have to take a look at what things you can relocate (whether to other areas in the car like the batt. and f.b., or even other areas of the engine bay).

btw, never saw this pic before. I like the gold Hung, looks good. I'm just surprised you didn't go all black in there as well.

Hate to say it but for it to look super clean you gotta take out the ac and atleast the cruise control, if you plan on really doing a tuck then PLEASE don't shorten or lengthen any wires..

Just a guess, but I would think that it'd be hard to do w/o removing components as well (such as ac/ps). I think that's what Dan was getting at.

But you'd prob just have to take a look at what things you can relocate (whether to other areas in the car like the batt. and f.b., or even other areas of the engine bay).

btw, never saw this pic before. I like the gold Hung, looks good. I'm just surprised you didn't go all black in there as well.

Actually, when the weather warms up I plan to shave the valve cover and repaint it and the intake piping gloss black.

Hate to say it but for it to look super clean you gotta take out the ac and atleast the cruise control, if you plan on really doing a tuck then PLEASE don't shorten or lengthen any wires..

Why? I thought lengthening wires and hiding them in the fender was the way to go. Is there another way to hide the wiring and fuse box that I don't know about? Losing cruise control and ac/ps is not an option. I use cruise control about 2 hours per day and can't live without it and when it hits upper 90's here and black leather interior, I can't live without a/c.

Like I said, I'm not going for a "super clean" look, just want to clean it up some more than it is now. That's kind of my question in this thread.....what minor things can I do to clean up the bay?

Edited by HungGSR

Why? I thought lengthening wires and hiding them in the fender was the way to go. Is there another way to hide the wiring and fuse box that I don't know about?

yeah that is but I mean going all out, things like relocating the fuse box and extending those wires isn't too bad, but removing the harness and choppin it up and re-soldering it together with a harness 3 feet longer then it originally was, then having wiring problems in the future because your vtec solenoid isn't getting enough voltage because its sensor wire is too extended, things like that you don't wanna do.

Edit: theres a million things you can do just by looking at your motor, you just have to get creative. Take your coolant overflow tank for example, you could relocate that to further down so you can't notice it or even behind the radiator by the core support. Also if you ever plan on making your car obd1 you could then remove the entire egr setup

Edited by Chubs

Edit: theres a million things you can do just by looking at your motor, you just have to get creative. Take your coolant overflow tank, you could relocate that to further down so you can't notice it or even behind the radiator by the core support.

+1

This is what I was thinking. Move simple stuff around in the engine bay. Maybe group things together instead of having them so spread out.

If you think of it abstractly like a PC desktop. I group all apps and folders and keep them off to one side, instead of people who have programs and folders all over the place on their desktops.

Actually, when the weather warms up I plan to shave the valve cover and repaint it and the intake piping gloss black.

i cringe every time you mention shaving your valve cover because the guy with the black sol and the front exit exhaust and intakes inside his cabin and the 494383 holes drilled in the body did that to his.

i cringe every time you mention shaving your valve cover because the guy with the black sol and the front exit exhaust and intakes inside his cabin and the 494383 holes drilled in the body did that to his.

??? I have no idea what you're talking about but when I say "shave" the valve cover, all I'm talking about is shaving all the lettering so that the top is completely smooth. It will make it look much cleaner in my opinion.

Stock engine bay just looks so messy.

Even though I disagree, Honda seems to agree with you. Every year the Acura and high end Honda models keep getting more and more plastic covers in the engine bay. Perhaps that is a compromise, fabricate your own abs plastic covers to mimick the newer Accords and Acuras.

Engine.jpg

I'm talking about is shaving all the lettering so that the top is completely smooth.

I say what is under the valve cover is more important than what is on the outside.

Edited by James Matteu

Plastic covers look cheap and crappy. The stock VC with the shaved lettering looks great and much cleaner than all the dumb writing. I'm not one of those people that feels the need to "brag" that my engine is a DOHC VTEC by having it on the VC. Apparently Honder/Acura felt the need to advertise on the engine that they have VTEC.

to be quite honest hung , look at your first photo yourself and see how much wiring you can see. integras come stock with it pretty well hidden. wire tuck is extensive man. also ruins your harness. the quick tuck is for you , lol. what you wanna do is , and this is still pretty exstensive if you wanna do it right man. the plugs sitting on your drivers side strut tower , you can unplug them , seperate from car up to injector and altternator break offs. run it towards firewall , and than up towards tower again but under master cylinder and tight to car and back into the plugs they came out of , which you will turn towards them instead of sitting them on the perch. than you can electrical tape those plugs , from one loom , covering all 3 plugs , to other loom. will make it all black , hides it in plain site. than remove the old 3 plug wire perch sitting on tower and clean that corner right out.

the other side you can do easier and better cause they are longer on both ends and only sit where they sit for convenience. take them off the perch , seperate them from the engine and car , 10mm bolts and clips. run them out of sight behind tranny along bottom of firewall , and through firewall. take that perch off. eliminate what you can.

i think a semi-tuck would be nice. relocate battery, fuse box, ditch the windshield wiper fluid container, relocate your alarm horns and if you can do without cruise control ditch that as well.

or you can do a full tuck but buy a back up harness just in case something does go wrong, you can just unplug the modified harness and go back to the stock harness. but i have to agree with daniel about the a/c, p/s. looks a lot cleaner without all that jazz. i havent had p/s for days and my arms have never been buffer, lolz.

to be quite honest hung , look at your first photo yourself and see how much wiring you can see. integras come stock with it pretty well hidden. wire tuck is extensive man. also ruins your harness. the quick tuck is for you , lol. what you wanna do is , and this is still pretty exstensive if you wanna do it right man. the plugs sitting on your drivers side strut tower , you can unplug them , seperate from car up to injector and altternator break offs. run it towards firewall , and than up towards tower again but under master cylinder and tight to car and back into the plugs they came out of , which you will turn towards them instead of sitting them on the perch. than you can electrical tape those plugs , from one loom , covering all 3 plugs , to other loom. will make it all black , hides it in plain site. than remove the old 3 plug wire perch sitting on tower and clean that corner right out.

the other side you can do easier and better cause they are longer on both ends and only sit where they sit for convenience. take them off the perch , seperate them from the engine and car , 10mm bolts and clips. run them out of sight behind tranny along bottom of firewall , and through firewall. take that perch off. eliminate what you can.

Thanks cranny. That doesn't sound too hard so I might give that a shot.

i think a semi-tuck would be nice. relocate battery, fuse box, ditch the windshield wiper fluid container, relocate your alarm horns and if you can do without cruise control ditch that as well.

or you can do a full tuck but buy a back up harness just in case something does go wrong, you can just unplug the modified harness and go back to the stock harness. but i have to agree with daniel about the a/c, p/s. looks a lot cleaner without all that jazz. i havent had p/s for days and my arms have never been buffer, lolz.

Still thinking I might relocate the battery and fuse box, but haven't decided what all I wanna do. Cruise Control has to stay.....2 hours of highway driving a day means I can't live without it.

• 1 month later...

Just buy some thick guage wires and connectors and a battery box. Disconnect the batter and string the longer wires through your firewall and under your carpeting off to the side through your interior and through to your trunk. Hook it up to the battery, and fasten down your fancy new battery box and voila! Watched my friend do this to his teggy in like an hour while I was eating lunch and goofing off. Said the stuff cost him like 30 bucks or something.

You ever do this Hung?

I need to move some stuff around because the filter on my intake is quite snug up against my battery.

No, I never got around to doing it. If my car doesn't sell, I still might do some stuff this summer.....a little undecided for now though.