oil types

musedrainfall

i drive a 98 honda civic with about 110k miles i live in chicago so it gets as warm as 100f and as cold as -15f

any suggestions on what type of oil i should put in my car?

i didn't really think about it before, i'd just get the standard oil that jiffy lube would put in my car but now that i'm starting to run higher milage i'm wondering if a change is needed?

thanks in advance

Switch to a synthetic blend. I run the Valvoline High Mileage in my wife's car and it's a Synthetic Blend. Always had good luck. I'd also stick with a 5w30 since you have such a broad range of climates. People always think I'm crazy, but if I lived in Florida or Texas (south) then I'd run straight 30 weight. Why waste good parts of the oils with additives to run in cold temperatures when it never gets below 50..

Stay away from Mobil 1 5w30. It's on the thin side of a 30 weight and usually sheers back to a 20 weight after about 1000 miles. I used to use Mobil 1 but would always use a little oil because it was so thin. If you can find an German Catrol, that's some crazy good stuff. It's Castrol Syntec and on the back it says Made in Germany (instead of US). Higher standards in Germany for motor oil and it's much better than anything you can get in the US.

Switch to a synthetic blend. I run the Valvoline High Mileage in my wife's car and it's a Synthetic Blend. Always had good luck. I'd also stick with a 5w30 since you have such a broad range of climates. People always think I'm crazy, but if I lived in Florida or Texas (south) then I'd run straight 30 weight. Why waste good parts of the oils with additives to run in cold temperatures when it never gets below 50..

North Florida gets owned.

The farther south you go the more your oil selection broadens.

It's made it into the teens up in North Florida so obviously..they won't be more apt to sell.

It snowed here today, then got up to about 50-60 degrees.

North Florida gets owned.

The farther south you go the more your oil selection broadens.

It's made it into the teens up in North Florida so obviously..they won't be more apt to sell.

<---Jacksonville, FL

Mobile 1 5W30. It's the weight Honda recomends.

<----indiana resident

5/30 in the winter, just for the really cold months, otherwise 10/30

I always use castrol syntec

normally use a mobil 1 or bosch oil filter

ONLY genuine honda in the trans

i use all royal purple products now. 5w30 full synthetic in engine with a little splash of lucas. and 2l of royal purple syncromax with a half litre of lucas in the tranny.

Archived