7 members have voted

1. 1. What kinda PC should I buy

• Laptop?
    • Desktop?

Well I am borrowing my friends laptop cause my Motherboard and Power supply both went out on my desktop.

To add to that my LCD screen is messed up, It only stays on for about a half hour then gets really bright and shuts off.

What happened is I left my PC on went I went to work to finish d/ling somethings. Well when I left for work it was in the morning.

Well about mid-day it started to rain and thunder and we lost power at work and I only work about 2 mins away so When work loses power so does my house.

Well got home and found the pc was off, hit the power button to start. The power led light for like a second and shut-off and now it does nothing. No fans, No sound. Nothing swapped cpu's, swapped power supplies and nothing. It is dead. RIP PC.

Well now I am in a dilema. I gotta build or Buy a new PC. I had 3 laptops and 3 hand built desktops. All are so slow it is unbearable or dead is some fashion.

I can't decide what I want to buy. The hard part is that the features I had on the desktop are going to be hard to get. I recorded basically all of adult swim on my PC while I slept or did whatever and watched it on the 17" LCD. Well If I get laptop I can bring it with me where ever, tune my car, play games on the go, etc. But can't upgrade and a disadvantage is weight. But the desktop is always there, upgradable, records my shows (tv tuner card is still good), etc.

No matter what kinda of PC I get It will be fast and be able to play PC games and I going through Newegg cause I can get 12 months no payments and get it now and pay after the trip.

I been looking at the ASUS gaming and desktop replacement laptops and such. Does anybody have experience with them?

I can't decide. What do you guys like?

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by chris_agu28

desktop replacement laptops are a complete pain in theass. I hate working on them. they weigh a ton, non-upgradeable, and many of them sacrifice build quality to try and stuff more system power into the chassis. I worked on a two year old toshiba last week. it weighed 15 lbs, the casing was cracked all around the hinges and th elid was coming loose already and it actually had a burn warning label on it because it ran so hot if you put it in your lap it would injure you.

laptops make great portable utility workstations, not gaming systems. skip the extra expense and build yourself a nice little dual core for the money.

Yeah you do have a point I owned a nice laptop with a p4 2.8 and it ran kinda hot and it weigh'd about 9 pounds. I like the power of the laptop and the best part was it used most desktop parts like memory, cpu, etc. but I hated moving it around. It played games pretty good.

I am not looking for anything extreme or like a mega laptop. I like the xps from dell. What do you think of those?

I like this one, http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...s=dhs&cs=19

Or the ASUS G Series G2S-A1 from newegg? I like these kinda features http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220185

Both of them have a tiny lcd with stats like pc use, gaming stats, etc. and I think the screen is kinda big for a laptop and will be a pain to move around.

But the worst part is that I HATE WINDOWS VISTA!! but i don't have a choice cause I doubt I will find xp drivers if I downgrade.

Edited by chris_agu28

I don't think I know anyone who has made a laptop last for more than 2-3 years. Mine have lasted 1-2 years before they start breaking down, and not from viruses.

This is my first desktop and I built it myself and I love it. I also like the potential for adding or replacing things whenever I want. Just make sure you get a UPS.

core2extreme_quad_cpu.jpg

Edited by wannaBstuntin

I don't think I know anyone who has made a laptop last for more than 2-3 years. Mine have lasted 1-2 years before they start breaking down, and not from viruses.

This is my first desktop and I built it myself and I love it. I also like the potential for adding or replacing things whenever I want. Just make sure you get a UBS.

core2extreme_quad_cpu.jpg

my brother is on 5 1/2 years now with his dell

well your desktop is fried thats for sure and as for the xps i think their over priced i looked at getting a laptop a few months back and i had it down to hp and dell and almost the same stuff hp i think was 1800 dell was 2700

well your desktop is fried thats for sure and as for the xps i think their over priced i looked at getting a laptop a few months back and i had it down to hp and dell and almost the same stuff hp i think was 1800 dell was 2700

i got a huuuuuuuuuge discount on mine because i are a college learner

yeah, that is what sucks. desktop is dead.

well I had a compaq which is basically a HP pc but things were not going right for it, it was not even a few months old and it was breaking and when I called customer service I was connected to a indian man which I could not understand and got frustrated. So I called back and I swear it sounds like I got the same guy. So got tired of it and returned it. I like the asus and reading from the reviews it is pretty good, and it is about 1000 bucks cheaper then the xps but xps has somethings the asus doesn't like 512 video ram only 256. Both have lighting effects which i don't care for but are cool. The xps has a light up full keyboard, I don't like full size keyboards on laptops. the xps gets alot hotter and is alot heavier then the asus.

has anybody heard of the PhyX thing that the xps supports. I have never heard of it until now.

i are a college learner

It sure is paying off. :happy:

has anybody heard of the PhyX thing that the xps supports. I have never heard of it until now.

You mean PhysX?

Yea, it's a seperate physics card so it takes some of the strain away from your video card and processor, but few software titles support it yet, and the ones that do are not done efficiently.

Edited by wannaBstuntin

I was looking at apples but alot of the programs I use only support windows. Even some of my devices are windows only.

My buddy has a macbook and it is pretty nice, small but kinda heavy and it is weird at first but constanly using it, I have gotten used to it.

Are toshibas good, not talking desktop replacement? Are the sony vaio notebooks good? I have a sony vaio desktop from 2000 and it is running strong and fast no problems at all. Sonys last a long time if treated right.

you want a powerful notebook without vista and will last you for 3-5 years?

Best quality notebook brand I have ever worked on.

oh i was excited until i realized it was a link to apple.... used them since kindergarten and now i finally have a PC

I used a PC since I was in kindergarden and my next system will be an apple. now that I am an apple tech I don't think I could use anything else

the new intel apple systems can run xp and vista better then a pc does. non-compatibility is no longer an excuse

Pretty much this comes down to what you want... if you can find a laptop that has all the features that your looking for... gor for it.. if you cant, but find a desktop that does.. go for it..

personally, i like laying in bed like a lazy f**k and being on the computer at the same time.. but then again, i have a dell... Great customer service for as long as you have a warentee... mine just ended and now i really want to take my laptop a throw it into the street, then run it over repeatedly..one of these days i may save enough money to buy something new... untill then.. i'll just make this p.o.s work...

I was going to say look into Toshiba...and I read you asked if they are good...they are very good imo and give you very good options and aren't as expensive as others, but still are good quality!

I have a Toshiba laptop and it has lasted me well and I've got enough stuff for what I do and my friend just got one because of mine...look into them; you might like them... :D

and yup, security is first thing to do!! I got a free copy of McAfee 8.5 from work! if you want, I'll send it to you :)

Edited by lceah

Well I got a update, I got a motherboard from a friend with luckly the same cpu slot as my old one, and now I looking into my power supply it 300 watts but it is not powerful enough to run the pc so I took some of the cards out like my extreme video card and my tv tuner card and it started right up but the power supply fan died so I replaced the fan with another one. So I got the Pc working again but the lcd goes out after about 20 mins of use. The inverter is bad.

So I still looking at laptops here and there but I still have a desktop to record my shows and stuff and still have a laptop to bring with me to the honda forum meet and every else.

I can't decide between a ASUS or a Toshiba.

I also can't decide where to buy it or when to.

Might pay some bills off and get more settled then pick out the laptop I want.

Lina that would be nice if you could send me that. I feel like I should send you something.