Can't Find PCV Valve

I'm troubleshooting my 1991 Civic for erratic idling. I'm refering to a Haynes Repair Manual and a troubleshooting guide I found on the Internet (maybe here)--it's a 10-step guide for rough/surging/fluctuating idle.

I checked all the vacuum hoses. All are good, with clamps, nothing cracked. I used a short piece of small diameter rubber hose as a stethescope to listen for air leaks. Didn't hear any.

When I got to step 2--check the PCV valve--I ran into a problem...I couldn't find it. The Haynes manual says, "The PCV valve is located in the crankcase breather chamber or in the hose which connects the crankcase breather chamber to the intake manifold." I'm not even sure where the crankcase breather chamber is. (I DO know what the intake manifold looks like.)

Here are some pictures of the engine. Can anyone help me find the PCV valve? Thanks!

EngineBay_1.jpg

EngineBay_2.jpg

EngineBay_3.jpg

Could this be it? The hose comes from some fixture on or next to the crankcase; maybe the crankcase breather chamber? It clamps to some kind of small, metal fitting that is threaded into the side of one of the intake manifold "tubes." Between where the hose clamps on and the threads, the body of the fitting is shaped like a nut (obviously so you can use a wrench to loosen and tighten it). I'm guessing this is the PCV valve. I did the test--where you squeeze the hose closed. The manual says if the valve is working correctly, it will make a clicking sound when the hose is pinched shut. It didn't make the clicking sound. I guess I'll buy a new one at Advance Auto. Of course, when I buy the new one, if it doesn't look anything like that fitting, then I didn't find it!

EngineBay_4.jpg

Could this be it? The hose comes from some fixture on or next to the crankcase; maybe the crankcase breather chamber? It clamps to some kind of small, metal fitting that is threaded into the side of one of the intake manifold "tubes." Between where the hose clamps on and the threads, the body of the fitting is shaped like a nut (obviously so you can use a wrench to loosen and tighten it). I'm guessing this is the PCV valve. I did the test--where you squeeze the hose closed. The manual says if the valve is working correctly, it will make a clicking sound when the hose is pinched shut. It didn't make the clicking sound. I guess I'll buy a new one at Advance Auto. Of course, when I buy the new one, if it doesn't look anything like that fitting, then I didn't find it!

EngineBay_4.jpg

That hose connects to the PCV valve.

EngineBay_4.jpg

that is it!!!!!!11

Archived