cylinder head with no cams, valves, or springs

anyone ever heard of the "Coates Spherical Rotary Valve System"(a.k.a. CSRV)? its a cylinder head that has been around for a while that eliminates the need for a poppet valve. its main applications are in industrial equipment. they have built several race engines using this system. and finally there main focus now is to release it to the public. i am currently in the process of getting more info on the CSRV and will give you updateds everytime Coates updates me.

there not putting them in factory cars yet. i dont have any info on how the cars they are putting them in are doing but ill try to find out.

oh and another thing.... there is no coolant or oil flow though them. all friction points ride on ceramic bearings.

ill post up a link tonight.

I have seen this setup a long time ago. It is a very effcient setup which gets rid of majority of the moving components. less friction. You also don't have to run too much oil in the head.It is going to cost alot of money to make this out to the general public. on a side note I have seen the new type of head they are trying to make availible. Each valve is open and closed by a solenoid coil controlled by the ecu. You can make lift and duration changes via computer re-map. I saw this while I was in college.

I've heard about that -- computer controlled valves and all. I actually though BMW was starting to use it but I have no idea why I thought that -- it could and prolly is completely wrong.

I don't see why they don't do it like that, though. Seems so efficient.

yea but then why do companies put out parts that have a life expectancy of like a certain amount when you know that they can build something that could last forever, i think thats mainly why but then again this thing may not be that efficient

I have seen this setup a long time ago. It is a very effcient setup which gets rid of majority of the moving components. less friction. You also don't have to run too much oil in the head.It is going to cost alot of money to make this out to the general public. on a side note I have seen the new type of head they are trying to make availible. Each valve is open and closed by a solenoid coil controlled by the ecu. You can make lift and duration changes via computer re-map. I saw this while I was in college.

yeah... bmw is developing the solenoid controlled valve train. but Infinity already has a car in producion with it. its in the G37. its pretty tight.

Archived