Is it the Clutch or the tranny?

Kiazu

Yea this is happening to me whether the car is cold or its been running for 30min and this is sounding like a rasping noise.

rasping noise? Yours may be a little further along in it's problem than mine. I've asked around and the best answer to what I should do is just get a new clutch kit. They aren't that much money and it's good peace of mind to have a fresh clutch. It's also a good opportunity to upgrade to a performance clutch like ACT or Fidanza.:thumbsup:

rasping noise? Yours may be a little further along in it's problem than mine. I've asked around and the best answer to what I should do is just get a new clutch kit. They aren't that much money and it's good peace of mind to have a fresh clutch. It's also a good opportunity to upgrade to a performance clutch like ACT or Fidanza.:thumbsup:

Yea I think to get to that throw out bearing, they will need to pull my tranny anyway. so while im there i might as well throw in a new clutch since the bearing comes with most clutch kits. I just moved to tampa from miami and in miami to throw a clutch in was cheap as hell. Here in tampa people r asking like 200-300bux.. My mechanic in Mia said that it will only take bout 1-2 hours if they know wat they r doing.

hey man i appreciate the time u took to write down ur thought. I started the post and the very first post has a better description.

And Delsol209 thanx for ur time also.

"hey you said that you use the gears to slow down (down shift) well the throw out bearing only has pressure on it when you apply your foot down on the pedal thats why i was saying it was ur throw out bearing, cause you hear the squealing when slowing down rite?"

Yea when i down shift it makes the sound. The Is in gear and and i am not pushing in the clutch nor the gas. So neither of the pedals r being pushed in and yes the car is in gear. That is the only time it makes the noise. If by pushing in the clutch puts pressure on the throw out bearing then when i take my foot of the clutch it would take pressure off causing the noise? and does that work the same for the gas pedal? When i push the gas pedal will i be putting pressure on the bearing as well since when i step on the gas the sound is not there. when i dont step on the gas and leave the car in gear the sound reappears.

Appreciate all the info and i hope i just answered some of the questions u guyz had bout my clearness.

Mainshaft bearings. There are two of them. It IS NOT your throwout bearing. With the clutch disengaged the throw-out bearing has no load on it, so it wouldn't make noise.

If it's making a sound while the vehicle is stopped and out of gear with no clutch or pedal it sounds to me like an input shaft bearing.

Just a little input for you. Probably been mentioned somewhere in here.

just saying not a tip though but you said its a 93 rite well think of all the years of cold, heat, things like that i mean your ride aint new so maybe age would do it, and hey some civics make alot of torque, not stock anyways lol

just saying not a tip though but you said its a 93 rite well think of all the years of cold, heat, things like that i mean your ride aint new so maybe age would do it, and hey some civics make alot of torque, not stock anyways lol

yea bro i think im gonna stick wit the clutch / throw out bearring and just gonna buy a whole new clutch kit. thanx man

i say replace the clutch/throwout bearing/f;ywheel.. when the noise is still there.. keep chasig the problem.. seems like everybody here is kinda split on what is casuing the problem.. let us know what fixes it..

i say replace the clutch/throwout bearing/f;ywheel.. when the noise is still there.. keep chasig the problem.. seems like everybody here is kinda split on what is casuing the problem.. let us know what fixes it..

I know exactly what the problem is. He says the noise exists when he's in gear and coasting, not accelerating. It is the mainshaft bearings because I worked on a 97 HX with the exact same problem. Replacing the bearings made the noise go away.

While the tranny is out to do the clutch, have it inspected by a tranny guy. Labor will be cheap since the tranny is already out. I would also replace the synchronizers too while he's in there.

aight guyz so i found this thread where a guy is explainin about a si tranny.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_377138/tm.htm

in the begining he explains issues wit noise's and looks like its my Main Bearing (Input shaft bearing)

So, pretty much what I said 2 posts up?:-

Archived