Seats

CelticRacer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to put the trust of your life in those seats, then be my guest.......I wouldn't be caught dead in those though (pun intended), since I garuntee they haven't been through the same safety standards tests as an oem seat or a true racing seat manufacturer.

If you want to put the trust of your life in those seats, then be my guest.......I wouldn't be caught dead in those though (pun intended), since I garuntee they haven't been through the same safety standards tests as an oem seat or a true racing seat manufacturer.

is there a brand you suggest? i am working on a budget and cant spend a sh*t load on seats.

I'm personally not a huge fan of racing seats Unless you plan to do road racing or drag racing events where a harness would be needed. I'd suggest finding a good condition used set of Sparco's for a budget or even better (in my opinion) would be to get your stock seats recovered in leather. It would cost less than a set of Sparco's and would look really clean and classy.

you can also try tenzos.

i had a pair in my civic. they were extremely comfortable. they also came with brackets so you could use the stock seat belts with them.

stuffforsale027.jpg

Edited by rbolander

i agree withe Hung on this. but if you want a good racing seat, that wont kill you if you ever get in a crash, look into Sparco, Recaro, or Bride. They are expensive, but they come with a price for a reason, not just solely the name brand

Why do you guys seem to imply that someone's going to die if they use these seats? I mean if you have some sort of reasoning or evidence for this then fine, but are you just making wild accusations and assumptions? How do you know and guarantee these seats haven't been properly tested?

How do you know and guarantee these seats haven't been properly tested?

In logic structures class, we learned that to prove a negative (e.g. haven't been properly tested), you draw conclusions based on the assumption the negative clause is a true statement.

The point everyone is driving home (albeit intuitively, and perhaps not the result of the aforementioned arguement), is that one way to test the clause, "haven't been properly tested", is to first draw the conclusion

P: "if it wasn't tested properly,"

Q: "you might die in a crash,"

and then see if you actually die in a crash by getting into an accident with the seat.

The long and short of it is that we do not want to be crash test dummies, and the aforementioned brands have been in enough racing accidents for all of us to be confident their failure rate in such conditions is acceptable if not stellar.

As HungGSR stated, you go with Brand X and a prayer, and you may not make the HF summer meet.

you wont die absolutely but the reason recaro, sparco, bride etc are so expensive is because there is research behind the seats, making them durable and safe for driving and racing. notice how you NEVER see a race car with "BOMZ" seats. ive talked to several people who bought these seats and they all said they felt like foam and the colors started to fade easy. they are made in china by 4 year olds who are just trying to make as many as possible. if they were tested, it would be stated in the auction. also if you do get into a crash and you or your passenger gets injured and the insurance sees that your seats are not OEM quality or higher, youre going to be paying your own bills. i dont like to cheap out on car parts, especially parts that deal with your safety.

I'm personally not a huge fan of racing seats Unless you plan to do road racing or drag racing events where a harness would be needed. I'd suggest finding a good condition used set of Sparco's for a budget or even better (in my opinion) would be to get your stock seats recovered in leather. It would cost less than a set of Sparco's and would look really clean and classy.

ok, so i did some looking around. the quotes i got to have the stock seats re-apolstered where outrageous(imo). to be specific $500-$1,800 per seat.>_<

is this normal pricing? or is this the standard...

ok, so i did some looking around. the quotes i got to have the stock seats re-apolstered where outrageous(imo). to be specific $500-$1,800 per seat.>_<

is this normal pricing? or is this the standard...

thats way too high. check out autoleathers.com they have really good stuff.

also if you can find a good local place usually you can get it done cheaper but that really depends on your area and how much experience they have

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm looking for proof more than opinion.

I understand that there are tried and true brands that are trusted worldwide. That doesn't necessarily mean that no other brands can be trusted.

James, if you want to get into proof statements, this ^ is like saying:

P = bride, recaro, etc

Q = crappy brands

R = is safe

If P then R (true premises)

If Q then (not) R (true premises)

---------------------------------------

If (not) P then (not) R (your conclusion)

You cannot come to this conclusion from these two premises

if they were tested, it would be stated in the auction.

This is the closest so far to what I'm looking for as far as an answer.

Edited by wannaBstuntin

seat belt save lives not the seat. the seat doesn't keep you from going out of the windshield. even in a side impact the seatbelt holds you in the seat.

yeah but if the seat snaps in half (which i know a guy that happened to) the seatbelt isnt going to do much

There is no real set standard test for aftermarket seats other than FIA certification. Any FIA certified seat was meant for racing and therefore needs such certification. Most aftermarket seats tho, especially the e-bay specials, do not run with such tests and there really is no other agency that tests the safety of such seats. In the long run though, seats play an integral part in safety when it comes to an accident and I'm surprised there is really no regulation for aftermarket seats, other than child safety seats. Anyhow, without a proper seat, who knows what kind of damage you may do to yourself considering the forces in an accident can have you submarine under your belt or the seatback snapping.

If you like a certain seat, go for it... in the rare event that you will be in a suitaion for it to save your life, i guess you will wish you had spent the extra money... good luck with everything though...

thanks, i mean i agree on the safety but the seat belts are what hold you in place not the seats. so i dunno, i still have to decide on some.

the belts do hold you in place.. but if the seat snaps in half, what are the belts holding you to? i dont know what all research has gone into stock/after market seats, but it seems like the more money you spend the better chance you have of buying somethin that is designed to lats... like i always say.. there are three ways you can build your car: fast, reliable, and cheap. you can only have two of those at once..and in thins case, i think i would spend some extra money on some good seats..IMO it would be worth it.