H22 question?

As you guys probably know I got my hands on a h22a4 and I can't decide if I wanna turbo it or make it a NA build. This project is a dream project and is in no rush to be built. And as everybody stated the h22 is best NA.

If you guys were in my situation would you do with it?

I am going to get it resleeved and new pistons and everything build everything from the ground up but i dunno what i truely want.

If I go turbo this would be my first turbo car.

If I go NA then it would be my first real NA car.

what do you guys think I should do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think you should go n/a first, i mean you got the facts already that h22's are better with n/a then with boost but if you can find out about the facts like either is that based on stock vs stock or built?(h22 boosted by the way)

I mean I would love a NA car but I hate how I limited on my HP. Maybe 400 max.

But with a turbo I seen some 540ish HP and I like how I can still keep adding HP.

I mean If I wanted to start spraying (NOS) It would be harder with higher compression.

Unless I am wrong.

yea you need low compresion, well then listen to wat you just said if you really dont want to be limited by power then boost it cause it's going to last a long time until one day you decide to make a lil too much power and kabooom lol but personally i like boost but rite now i aint got the money to do it

Yeah I always loved boost could never got the chance to run it. Since I am going to get it resleeved and new pistons and everything I might as well look into some turbos and such.

I just couldn't come to a decison. I mean the NA would be hella quick but I can only go so far with it. The boost one I can go until the motor blows up, Which I will not do cause I will play it safe with the boost psi.

yea but just know that with n/a it's not waiting to hit a certain rpm to get max power it's it is instanly you feel power and even though you will be limited to hp, that doesnt mean your going to be slow! but i would do a little research and find out wat setups i like maybe put something up ask around here

Yeah I tried asking on here but nobody answered me yet but you and I thank you for answering.

I hope others can shed light on my question.

I hate waiting for boost to kick in but I mean, I also love instant power. I gotta look at some peoples setups and see what I can do and everything.

yup thats ur best bet cause thats wat i did i mean saving up and doing research is hard but hopefully ill have a car that can hit low 12's maybe high elevens and that in itself is a good accomplishment just look around im sure some of the guys here would know something

I hate waiting for boost to kick in...

I am not sure how Porsche does it, but when drove a 911 GT2 Ruf it was at 1.5 bar instantly and stayed there from 20mph to 170mph (in 10 seconds, give or take a second or two). Now that is a twin turbo setup and done on a flat six, a completely different animal.

Yeah the concept is what I like. hahaha I should twin turbo my I-4. attempt at what porsche did.

I would call it a H22+2

It might have been fast spooling turbos thinking about it

Horsepower is somewhat overrated, especially if you cant get the power to the ground. 500hp on our cars is tough to get going right away off the line. Ever hear of 2point6? He's got the most powerful H22. He's got in a 4th gen Accord pusing 300+ hp, or about 275whp or so out of a bored 2.5L I think it is either 2.4 or 2.5L, Euro R manifold, ITBs, SMSP header and other good stuff running 11s in the quarter mile. 11s!!!! all NA. A turboed H22 would almost never be that fast. I decided long ago to go NA, since it's a great base to begin with. If you want turbo, I'd pick up a H23, F22, or F23 that already has low compression and cast iron sleeves.

I should twin turbo my I-4. attempt at what porsche did.

The owner of the black Porsche 911 Ruf modified GT2 I drove, claimed the car had 700hp at the wheels and 700 ft-lbs of torque. I later found out that the figures he claimed are found on the more recent CTR3, so I am not sure if he was exagerating or not. What I can say is that I never got out of 3rd (I was scared crapless and my arms started shaking real bad), and I went from 0-170mph in what felt like 10 seconds.

I now know that Ruf uses twin KKK turbochargers, so it would be fun to try and reproduce Ruf's results, but seriously, it might turn out to be an exercise in futility.

I thought about what you said Velocifero and you do have a point, If I have all this HP but can't put it down it is no use.

But I thought of the supercharger and I was considering it. Its like Turbo with no lag like a NA setup. That what I like about.

But when I start building and ordering parts I will be faced of what compression I wanna run.

I think I might wanna a SC with a bit of NOS but I am considered the NA still.

Man this sucks that I can't decided of what I want.

wow I've missed this...

so you said you would have nitrous if you were to not boost...and you said again that you like the instant power...so then boost! especially since you like it! you are going to build anyway so why not?!

and about too much power and no handling: then let's come up with a solution for that! :D

Archived