FWD?

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if you guys really liked your FWD cars? Why you choose FWD over like a RWD or AWD.

What advantages do you guys like about it and such? I just curious to see what people think.

I like FWD cause it is simpler to work on.

I don't like how all the weight is up front instead of spread out like a RWD car.

If this is a repost then stop me.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess its a preference. i like both, the only thing that turned me on to a fwd was the itr. just cause its this little 1.8L with a 87k redline that pushes out more than 100hp per liter, it just amazed me the engineering behind that little motor and it just happened to be fwd. plus there a bit easier to handle with the right suspension, theyre known for understeering a lot but can easily be fixed with beefier stabilizer bars.

good topic, dude.

i like both fwd and awd for the most part. they seem to have a little more respect when built. don't get me wrong i like rwd if you can build a little 4-banger and walk all over a camaro or mustang or something of that nature i think its more impressive. now as for the rwd 4-bangers i think is for more of a drifting style.

i liek fwd better becouse several reasons 1.youre right on workin on them you bang out a axle,tranny,clutch,intermediateshaft in the matter of halfhour-45 min%^&*% if you got the ryte tools :D

2.unlike rwd when you spin youre all over the place in fwd you pull towards where you steer and gotsa love the tourque steer~~!~!~ but AWD locks it up!!!!! but i love honda to much to leave the game to get a evo or defintly not a sti under those hoods i have no clue whats goin on but evos.......bang it out~!~! :D

I like FWD since it conserves more energy (torque lost through a drive axle) and increases fuel economy (1986 Honda CRX HF ~48mpg). I live in Florida, but I hear the FWD is easier to control in snow.

I like RWD since without it trucks would have a hard time pulling stuff.

I like AWD since it maintains superior control in slippery conditions: snow, ice, water, World Rally Championship, Dakar, etc.

I will always use FWD as a daily driver since I don't pull stuff nor am I a rally car driver.

Well there's a lot of reason's that I like Honda/Acura, but most of them don't have to do with FWD. I'd still like my integra if it was RWD with everything else the same.

Things I like:

While not fast, the car is very peppy and fun to drive

Get's great gas mileage and reliability

Also, these little 4 bangers don't make a ton of power stock....If you took a 170whp FWD Integra GSR and made it rear wheel drive, there would be a lot more drivetrain loss and the car would actually be slower stock.

I also like the predictability of FWD in the corners. If I push a little too hard in the corners, correcting understeer is much easier than oversteer.

One thing that turned me off was drag slicks on a FWD car.

When you all this hp but you can't grab traction, so what do you do is put on drag slicks. and I just don't like the look of it but without it, those built up real 400hp hondas couldn't do like 11 or 10 sec 1/4.

RWD is clearly superior overall for performance as far as weight distribution, wheel hop, and the whole easier to push than pull factor, although the driveshaft might equalize that out..........FWD isnt as good for snow/ice donuts that's for sure without wearin out your ebrake. FWD is better for handling though. AWD even better. I'd rather have a subbie with fulltime AWD myself.

My friend has a evo 9 with mods that i drove and that awd is what sold me. It grabs traction so quick.

Another buddy of mine has a 2005ish sti and it is pushing like 400hp and that thing will go like 70-80 without breaking traction on the crazyiest roads with sharp turns.

My honda would only dream of that. In reality I would be either flipped over or in a ditch.

RWD is clearly superior overall for performance as far as weight distribution, wheel hop, and the whole easier to push than pull factor, although the driveshaft might equalize that out..........FWD isnt as good for snow/ice donuts that's for sure without wearin out your ebrake. FWD is better for handling though. AWD even better. I'd rather have a subbie with fulltime AWD myself.

Good points...however, FWD is better for getting around in the snow than a RWD.

One thing that turned me off was drag slicks on a FWD car.

When you all this hp but you can't grab traction, so what do you do is put on drag slicks. and I just don't like the look of it but without it, those built up real 400hp hondas couldn't do like 11 or 10 sec 1/4.

Yea, actually. They can.

My friend has a evo 9 with mods that i drove and that awd is what sold me. It grabs traction so quick.

Another buddy of mine has a 2005ish sti and it is pushing like 400hp and that thing will go like 70-80 without breaking traction on the crazyiest roads with sharp turns.

My honda would only dream of that. In reality I would be either flipped over or in a ditch.

As for this..

I had a WS6 that, after I owned it; was dyno'd. It was making well over 400 horsepower to the wheels and I can safely say that on tires that were suitable for the car's power and rims, I never broke traction from a high roll like that. Ever.

Now, on spray..with stock tires..that was another story..

He HAS to be on stock tires. lololol.

I went mid 11's in mine on slicks before I sold it. Then again, those were slicks.

My street tire was an EXTREMELY beefy drag radial in the ass and something stockish up front.

The funny thing he is not but he is not on slick cause it is also his DD.

i sat in the car when we raced a buddy of mine with a stock 5.0 mustang 80's fox body style and he smoked us cause he could no grab traction. He is looking to get slicks soon.

The funny thing he is not but he is not on slick cause it is also his DD.

i sat in the car when we raced a buddy of mine with a stock 5.0 mustang 80's fox body style and he smoked us cause he could no grab traction. He is looking to get slicks soon.

I had to pedal first and second lolol. It was my daily at the time, didn't really romp into it often as it wasn't wise for gas purposes.

But, like I said. Someone can't drive if he couldn't pedal it enough to beat a stock 5.0. Those were mid 14 car's.

Not doubting your friend, you or his car but.. I know what mine was capable of.

Archived