Here's a thought.......injecting straight Oxygen into Engine

What about that idea? Since the car need more oxygen to create power....many use turbo/SC/N2O to increase this......so what about setting up an oxygen tank in the trunk with a feed to the intake? You'd need to regulate the amount and tune the ecu for fuel, but you'd be inserting 100% Oxygen rather than the 20% in regular air.

Thoughts on this??

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm dumb so feel free to flame, but does the engine really take 100% oxygen or does it take the mixture of 20% including the other 80%?

What I mean is: is the engine prepared to take 100% oxygen or does it use "air" in general, including other elements?

essentially this is the point of nitrous.... and thats like 34% oxygen tho.

But I'd imagine that 100% oxygen would destroy an engine. you'd have such rapid buring that you couldn't control it. It would melt/burn everything in its path. it would melt pistons, heads, and cylinder walls.

pure oxygen isn't stuff to mess with.... look what it does with a cutting torch..... and thats not even pure oxygen! thats probably what would happen inside of your engine.... same thing with nitrous, which is why that crap is tricky.

pure oxygen isn't stuff to mess with.... look what it does with a cutting torch..... and thats not even pure oxygen! thats probably what would happen inside of your engine.... same thing with nitrous, which is why that crap is tricky.

I know that Oxygen is very potent with a flame....that's kind of the point. You could regulate it to where it was added in very small amounts to the engine and only enough to where you could add the right amount of fuel to create a proper mixture. Since you would use such a small amount of oxygen, a full tank could last an enormously long time (compared to N2O)

Edit: I still think it could work. You could add enough to where your overall mixture (combined with air) would be closer to 40% Oxygen instead of 20%.

essentially this is the point of nitrous.... and thats like 34% oxygen tho.

But I'd imagine that 100% oxygen would destroy an engine. you'd have such rapid buring that you couldn't control it. It would melt/burn everything in its path. it would melt pistons, heads, and cylinder walls.

That's essentailly the point I was trying to get at, but wasn't sure.

That's essentailly the point I was trying to get at, but wasn't sure.

It wouldn't actually be 100% Oxygen though once it mixed with the air in the intake before entering the combustion chamber.....all it would do is make the mixture more oxygen rich like I stated above....closer to a 40% mixture (depending on how much you add).

Read above.......I don't know why everybody thinks that adding more oxygen is going to blow up the world. That's the main goal of people is how to force more Oxygen into the engine....most do it with Turbo and when setup properly, the world doesn't end. All we are talking about here is another way off adding the same amount of extra oxygen. Done in moderation, I'd think you could achieve the same results as a boost application.

It wouldn't actually be 100% Oxygen though once it mixed with the air in the intake before entering the combustion chamber.....all it would do is make the mixture more oxygen rich like I stated above....closer to a 40% mixture (depending on how much you add).

Oh I see now. Like a nitrous setup but with pure oxygen? Sounds dangerous and probably illegal, but then so is nitrous I think.

I just read more...

yup, if you just ADD more Oxygen, that would work...but figuring out how much would be the tricky part...

turbo is not pure Oxygen! it's more air...and more Oxygen...but not pure!

adding Oxygen is the main goal...but pure Oxygen does cause the blow up as you call it...because when you have pure reactant, you have a bigger reaction!

I would think it could work as a simple nitrous setup with the bottle replaced with an bottle of O2 and fab up a "nitrous" jet that would be much, much smaller. Like the equivalent of a 5 shot of nitrous. Then dyno tune the sucker and have it always activate at full throttle.

Advantage over Nitrous? You'd be using such a small amount you could set it up to run always on full throttle and not worry about the bottle being drained every week.

I just read more...

yup, if you just ADD more Oxygen, that would work...but figuring out how much would be the tricky part...

turbo is not pure Oxygen! it's more air...and more Oxygen...but not pure!

adding Oxygen is the main goal...but pure Oxygen does cause the blow up as you call it...because when you have pure reactant, you have a bigger reaction!

Right...and I'd agree if I was pushing pure oxygen directly into the combustion chamber. However, by putting it into the intake, it would mix with regular air and just make a higher Oxygen content in the air......so it wouldn't be pure oxygen by the time it hit the combustion chamber.

good points...

but,

it's not like you are "helping" the reaction by adding a bit more of Oxygen or reactant...

you are adding something dangerous! Pure Oxygen properties make it such a dangerous reactant if not controlled...

and, on top of all this, at one point, the reaction would go backwards! so much Oxygen and since it's so reactive it would react with the products and cause the reaction to go backwards...I don't know how much this would happen but could calculate...it would happen though!! and at that point, it's not efficient and your engine is not running efficiently at all...

good points...

but,

it's not like you are "helping" the reaction by adding a bit more of Oxygen or reactant...

you are adding something dangerous! Pure Oxygen properties make it such a dangerous reactant if not controlled...

and, on top of all this, at one point, the reaction would go backwards! so much Oxygen and since it's so reactive it would react with the products and cause the reaction to go backwards...I don't know how much this would happen but could calculate...it would happen though!! and at that point, it's not efficient and your engine is not running efficiently at all...

Hence the reason you'd regulate the amount that you add to get the "best" mixture. I think we can all agree that the best performing mixture is definately NOT 20% oxygen vs. 80% other. This is obviously proved by the effects that Nitrous has when injected (having a higher oxygen content). So regulating the amount of oxygen to create the proper mixture would obviously be key....not to mention adjusting the fuel to get a proper air/fuel ratio.

Yeah right.....I'm not trying it on my daily driver. If I owned a company and had money for a R&D department then no doubt we'd be testing this stuff out. I flat can't afford to blow up my car proving a theory.

I'm off to bed. I guess I'll see what other idea's people have about this tomorrow.

"regulating" exactly!

it's just that it's really hard to do that with something so strong like Oxygen...

and how about safety? if anything were to go wrong for the car to catch fire, that little Oxygen tank would cause a much bigger explosion...causing other cars around danger!

Archived