Stereo speakers short out

TXtnt8

I have a mostly stock 96 Sol SI. The car has an aftermarket Kenwood radio that sounds great, most of the time. Sometimes both speakers will short out and there is no sound. I thought maybe it was the stereo and replaced it, but the problem continued. The power to the stereo stays on, but no sound will come out. It doesnt matter if it is FM or a CD. Here is where it gets odd. I can often make the speakers come back on by tapping the horn button. I suspect a short or a ground problem, but don't know where to start looking. Ideas?

I have a mostly stock 96 Sol SI. The car has an aftermarket Kenwood radio that sounds great, most of the time. Sometimes both speakers will short out and there is no sound. I thought maybe it was the stereo and replaced it, but the problem continued. The power to the stereo stays on, but no sound will come out. It doesnt matter if it is FM or a CD. Here is where it gets odd. I can often make the speakers come back on by tapping the horn button. I suspect a short or a ground problem, but don't know where to start looking. Ideas?

Both speakers go out at the same time. Bumps and turns do not have an effect, either turning them on or off. If the speakers are on when the car is started they will stay on. Sometimes they work for a week, then they dont work for a day or so. I cant put a weather condition as a factor.

well you could always rewire them and see what that does i dont know why it would do that that is odd rewiring them might not help any but its all i can think of check your wiring behind the cd player make sure all wires are secure and no loose connecters explain more of what its doing like does it sometime not come on when the car comes on ? do you keep it up loud?? might just need new speakers thats very weird never heard of 2 speakers going out at the same time and the radio still be on

its probably a bad ground on the speakers. my brothers car just randomly did that, and then made noise that was synced up with his gas pedal. we just ran new wires to the speakers and they worked fine

Archived