2009 Acura RL

I was expecting good things out of this mid-model refresh considering it was rumored to be the most extensive refresh since the 2006 Accord. In the end, it's quite a dissapointment...from the MDX-like grille to the tails... bleh I'd rather get a Hyundai Genesis at this point...(if I were in the market for such a car)

16664_preview.jpg

16665_preview.jpg

16662_preview.jpg

16667_preview.jpg

16663_preview.jpg

16660_preview.jpg

The 2009 RL furthers cutting edge technology with the addition of new high-tech items including AcuraLink® weather, AcuraLink® Traffic Rerouting™, a new Note function for XM® Radio, Active Sound Control, and Bluetooth® Audio to an already robust list of features found on the previous RL. To enhance handling, new chassis technology abounds in the drivetrain in the form of improved Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™, a revised steering system, upgraded coil springs, better performing shock absorbers, larger rear stabilizer bar, and more aggressive wheels and tires. Performance improves with the RL thanks to a new, larger 3.7-liter V-6 that incorporates the first ever SOHC use of VTEC® valvetrain actuation for both the intake and exhaust valves.

For 2009, the RL will be offered in three different trim levels including RL, RL with Technology Package and RL with Technology Package Plus CMBS™. All RL's receive a potent new 3.7-liter V-6 engine, Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™, a Bose® Surround Sound audio system, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® connectivity and a GPS-based solar-sensing climate control system. The Technology Package includes the satellite-linked Acura Navigation System with Voice Activation™ with rearview camera, AcuraLink® Real-time traffic, AcuraLink® weather, Traffic Rerouting™, a rear view back-up camera, Active Front Lighting System (AFS), ventilated front seats, and a wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob. The top RL package is the Technology Package with CMBS™ which also includes Acura's acclaimed Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and genuine wood instrument panel trim.

I was expecting good things out of this mid-model refresh considering it was rumored to be the most extensive refresh since the 2006 Accord. In the end, it's quite a dissapointment...from the MDX-like grille to the tails... bleh I'd rather get a Hyundai Genesis at this point...(if I were in the market for such a car)

16664_preview.jpg

6sa1_41e01df73dceb.jpg

You can see that they tried doing the "Bangle'd Butt" on the trunk...which is a pretty good try. Other than that, nothing about this car flows with each other. The top of the grill isn't even lined up with the headlights making the front very disjointed and sloppy. They went with a edgey grille but curvy headlights. There's also a lot of lines just shooting everywhere in the back...very busy.

FYI - the Acura grill is apparently the design they are going with when the TSX and TL come out later on in the year. Obviously their design direction can be seen on the MDX, RDX, and now sloppily put on the RL. If it continues like this the Acura brand will still be wondering why they are floundering in the luxury car market for another 5 years...

Seriously...when just looking at style. Why buy a $50k (which it even isn't selling that high...) Acura RL, when you can by an S-Class/7 Series sized car for $30k?

hyundai3.jpg

Hyundai Genesis. Granted, Hyundai reliability is a big question mark to some, even me. Yet, when Hyundai is winning over the press with a pseudo-luxury car that has RWD and a V8, with a good amount of amenities and an outstanding price...kind of makes you go, "WTF HONDA?!"

• 2 weeks later...

lol so alot of people not a fan of the legend??

i think i like it , maybe except the curve on the headlamp. honestly i think they should have kept the 08 headlamps.

the taillights looks pretty rad.. might have sharangan'd it from the mercedes. but that dark cherry color looks good!

at least they got rid of the front and read moldings!

honda-legend01.jpg

but if i had that kinda of money, i think il go with a preowned 2004 RL and convert to JDM Legend except for RHD.. thats too much :drool:

Archived