Camera comparison

TS John

I'm not necessarily trying to buy one of these (actually I'm not going to buy one at all unless I suddenly win some money) but I was just wondering, for a beginner who just wants a nice digital camera with some options only found with SLRs but also could be used point and shoot, which of these three?

Olympus Evolt E410

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVTZX...RAB2RDVHKK8DW59

Nikon D40x

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOEDG...9082&sr=8-1

Canon Rebel XTi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1ZWR...9082&sr=8-1

Cheers.

Canon XTi. Good body, built in AF, great glass for the money.

Nikon D40 is good but if you want AF you have to spend a lot more money on glass. Overall more expensive. If going Nikon get the D70.

+1 for the XTi, it's what I use. It uses the same AF system from the Canon 30D, which is a model higher. The noise control is much better than the comparable Nikon, ISO 1600 images can look great.

Canon is releasing an updated version called the XSi real soon. Larger viewfinder, larger LCD screen, Digic III processor, 2 more megapixels, live view, faster framerate, and spot metering. It's aimed directly at those looking to upgrade from P&S to DSLR.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera...1275&sr=1-1

Olympus... just no.

I didn't write this, a guy on the Canon forum I'm on did.

Hi,

You just have to balance price against features.

If you are looking at entry-level cameras, the Nikon D40 and D40x have limited lens selection. Unlike more expensive models, they can only use the lenses with an auto focus motor built in, which excludes roughly half of the current AF Nikkors and all the older manual focus lenses. I believe the D80 and up can use the widest selection of selection lenses. The reason for this is that Nikon has made a real effort to retain backward compatibility to their AI/AI-S manual focus lenses, dating back as far ad the 1960s or 70s. But now, in order to get to the lower, entry level price point, they find themselves leaving the AF motor out of the camera bodies on those models, which so many of their current and recent lenses still require.

Meanwhile Canon entry-level models all are compatible with all Canon autofocus lenses made since the 1990s and on. No modern cameras work very well with Canon's old FD mount manual focus lenses. Canon made clean break (painful at the time) from their old system and has worked hard on 100% compatibility ever since.

Some Nikon models still use CCD sensors (entry-level models). Personally, I prefer CMOS, which Canon devoted itself to early on and has progressed a great deal with. To me, CMOS gives a cleaner image (less noise). Apparently Nikon agrees. All their newer, higher end models now employ CMOS. (Sony and Olympus are the other two manuf. who use mostly or entirely CMOS now.)

Tied to the CCD vs CMOS sensor issue, Nikon owners I work alongside have been reluctant to set their cameras above ISO 400, maybe 800 in a pinch. I don't think twice about using ISO 1600 on my two 30Ds and 10D, and have used ISO 3200 pretty successfully in many situations (Canon 5D/1D Mk III owners don't think twice about using ISO 3200).

Many felt the Nikon CCD images got "plasticky" above certain ISOs, and lost quite a bit of detail. That's because they needed to use very aggressive noise reduction. Canon didn't need to use as aggressive noise reduction with their CMOS. In fact, it seems Nikon has continued to use pretty aggressive noise reduction, even now with their new models with CMOS chips, still leading to some loss of detail although noise has been greatly reduced. Perhaps NR can be turned of or is adjustable, though. I haven't personally shot with the D300 or D3, so this is really just an observation of some comments I've read and heard. There's a lot of cheering in the Nikon camp, though, to be able to set ISO 800 and above without too much worry now.

There are quite a few more Canon prime lenses to choose from, and a more limited selection of prime Nikkors (primes are non-zoom lenses) in the current lens line ups. I use zooms when I must, but really prefer to work with primes whenever they are practical. Often in Canon's lens line-up you will see two or three choices of primes, with other manufacturers including Nikon it's seldom more than one version in each focal length. Not every one prefers prime lenses the way I do, so this may or may not be important.

When I first got into the Canon system, they really were the only game in town in terms of Image Stabilization. That was an important feature for me. Today Nikon has a lot of lenses with their own VR system, although still not quite as many as Canon's IS. Other manufacturers are also catching up with their own methods of image stabilization.

Canon isn't perfect. No system is. Nikon has recently released new 14-24/2.8 lens that looks to be terrific. They have also had a 200/2 VR lens in their line-up for a while. Canon is finally getting around to producing a comparable lens again soon.

So definitely look carefully at all your options. If you wife has a number of older, manual focus or even earlier AF lenses, one of the more advanced Nikon models that can use them might be just the ticket.

Olympus, Pentax, Sony and others are putting out some excellent offerings, too.

Nice Anniversary gift idea, by the way. Best of luck with your shopping!

Canon XTi. Good body, built in AF, great glass for the money.

Nikon D40 is good but if you want AF you have to spend a lot more money on glass. Overall more expensive. If going Nikon get the D70.

Wrong. XTi doesn't have a built in AF motor. However, no Canon's do which is why every lens available for Canon's have the mot.or built in. That's the reason there's no compatability issues......ever Canon lens has a motor built in. Thinking it's called USM or something.

Out of the camera's you listed, I'd take the XTi.....and I'm a diehard nikon fan. However, I believe the D80 is the comparable camera to the XTi (not the D40x) and I'd take a D80 over the XTi anyday

Out of curiosity, what do people not like about the Olympus? I've read a lot of good consumer reviews of it (and the 510) but it doesn't seem to get much attention elsewhere. Are they simply not compatible with prevalent lens lines and therefore not very expandable?

There's not as many lenses for the Olympus as there is for Canon and Nikon (what I've heard at least). That's one downfall. I believe that Sony is the big "sleeper" company in my opinion. Their digital cameras are supposedly really good, but don't get much recognition. I'd personally stick with a company that offers me the most lens choices which is Nikon/Canon.

The only reason I feel like I might not need to care about that now is this would deffo be an intoductory level camera. Like, if I wanted more lenses I'd prolly want a better camera at that time too. Are there any other weaknesses people know of?

Archived