Oil on spark plugs

Rewski

I changed my spark plugs yesterday, along with a lot of other things, cause my car just hit 200k miles. I have never had a car that help oil on the spark plugs. I doubt its a good thing, but why is it happening, and is a terribly bad thing? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I got nothing.

The manual only says that oil on the plugs falls under the catagory of "fouled plugs", and the reason given is "oil in the combustion chamber." I know, that doesn't answer any questions, but it's all I got.

When I had this same problem, it was a bad valve seal on #3 in my 1987 Honda CRX DX, but I never fixed it and sold the car firing on 3 cylinders.

That I assume is the ulitmate fate of your engine if you do nothing. Eventually, the plug will foul too quickly to make sufficient spark and the cylinder will go dead. FYI, you can drive (8 months in my case) on 3 cylinders, though people will hate you in traffic.

Here's the breakdown, simple style, for ya'll....

Oil on top of the plugs.... Bad valve cover gasket. Cheap and easy to replace.

Oil on the electrode.... Most likely bad valve stem seals. But could also be bad rings. Both are cheap but not so easy to replace.

you had wet oil on the electrode of the plug? Sometimes oil gets into the spark plug holes in the valve cover, and will get on the plug when you take it out. The valve cover can leak around these holes every now and again, and leak a little down by the plug.

Here's the breakdown, simple style, for ya'll....

Oil on top of the plugs.... Bad valve cover gasket. Cheap and easy to replace.

Oil on the electrode.... Most likely bad valve stem seals. But could also be bad rings. Both are cheap but not so easy to replace.

agreed. I had the same problem with my car. The oil was around the tread. I just had to change out the plug seal

Archived