Navigation Modification

Can it be done? I've seen this question a few times. And I don't know the answer, but have an idea. The DVD-rom in the trunk obviously isn't geared to play sound, so it seems useless to even attempt inserting a video dvd. Even if you got picture, you'd lack sound. But is it not possible to intercept the navigation feed from the DVD-rom and install a switch? The switch toggles the signal between the nav player and your personally installed dvd-player and sends a video signal to the nav screen using the existing wiring. All youre doing is creating an interruption in the signal from the nav and swapping it out for a signal from your personal player. Then all you need to do, of course, is connect the audio output on your personal dvd player to an fm modulator and you'll then have sound through your stereo, un-touched. It seems like the least complicated because it doesn't interfere with the navigation. It simply runs in the background like it was never touched, accept the actual video signal doesn't reach the screen. The big question is, which wires? There are a couple back there, more than a couple. Most of the wiring is the back and forth between touch-screen and nav. But some, and probably just a couple, are the actual wires leading to the nav screen only. Which ones are they is the big question. I'm no electrician, so I could be way off here, but it is nonetheless a solution if only I can isolate those wires.

Anyone care to comment?

Update..looks like there's a product called SOUNDGATE VIDHOND2. It basically works as the switch. $350 and I have no idea how to install. Plus, it comes with a safety tethered to the handbrake. No idea how to disable that one.

Can it be done? I've seen this question a few times. And I don't know the answer, but have an idea. The DVD-rom in the trunk obviously isn't geared to play sound, so it seems useless to even attempt inserting a video dvd. Even if you got picture, you'd lack sound. But is it not possible to intercept the navigation feed from the DVD-rom and install a switch? The switch toggles the signal between the nav player and your personally installed dvd-player and sends a video signal to the nav screen using the existing wiring. All youre doing is creating an interruption in the signal from the nav and swapping it out for a signal from your personal player. Then all you need to do, of course, is connect the audio output on your personal dvd player to an fm modulator and you'll then have sound through your stereo, un-touched. It seems like the least complicated because it doesn't interfere with the navigation. It simply runs in the background like it was never touched, accept the actual video signal doesn't reach the screen. The big question is, which wires? There are a couple back there, more than a couple. Most of the wiring is the back and forth between touch-screen and nav. But some, and probably just a couple, are the actual wires leading to the nav screen only. Which ones are they is the big question. I'm no electrician, so I could be way off here, but it is nonetheless a solution if only I can isolate those wires.

Anyone care to comment?

Update..looks like there's a product called SOUNDGATE VIDHOND2. It basically works as the switch. $350 and I have no idea how to install. Plus, it comes with a safety tethered to the handbrake. No idea how to disable that one.

What you are saying is very possible. The only thing that I can say to isolate the wires is go from the DVD ROM in the trunk and see what colour the wires are. I understand that there are going to be quite a few due to the touch screen, however I would think that the wires on the "SOUNDGATE" should be labeled with the video input wires. With that said it really depends what Honda/Acura decided to use for the video input (i.e. composite, component, etc.) that is what is going to depend on how many video wires there are.

To disable the saftey on the unit simply ground it out to the chasis or the ground on the back of the factory deck and that should do it. To install the rest of it I would think it would be just matching the colours of the wires and splicing them at some point in the car. Hopefully that helps. Let me know how you make out.

Archived