Should I swap?

museic07

Hey, im really new at this but have been helping my uncle work on his car and i was wanting to swap my engine out but dont know a good one to use, i have a 2000 civic si, i dont want to have to use a turbo i want just complete engine power so any good suggestions? thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well you have a pretty good motor to start out with, and youre really not going to get that much more power with any other motor, unless you spend some money. if you dont want a turbo, just do an N/A build. how much power are you looking to get anyway?

Basically, to get a considerable power increase over your current motor without turbo, nos, etc,

the best swap candidate for you is the k-series. (k20 from an rsx type-s is very good).

This swap is not for novices though. And to have one installed is very expensive.

It would be a lot cheaper AND easier to just build your motor up a little and put on a light turbo.

Plus turbo sounds really cool. :D

Another route would be to replace your block with one from an Integra LS or Honda CRV.

I don't know which one would be more stable, crvtec or FI...

and i know what everyone's gonna say, "either would be perfectly reliable if done right".

Doing it right is often the tricky part however.

Just try a search on LS/VTEC or CRVTEC

There are dozens of threads to read through. A lot of conflicting opinions, but enough for you to form one of your own. Just don't jump into anything without EXTENSIVE research. And when you've decided what to do, research some more.

i dont really know how much im lookin for?. . i guess i just want something that i can drive around town to work and stuff but then on weekends tear up the track. If i do go the turbo route would it affect my in town driving to much if i keep the boost low?

alright ive been looking at wrecked rsx type s, and can find some pretty cheap ones. I really just dont know what to do, say you had my car and this choice, what would you do?

I have wet dreams about k-swapped civics.

You can put that motor in and leave it bone stock and it's gonna be a lot faster than an LSVTEC.

Plus, you get all the reliability and longevity that comes with a stock Honda motor. Not to mention a 6-speed tranny. :drool:

5 grand for a K swap in a car that will run mid 14's when done. Seems silly to me. The 00 SI is not lightweight like the EG hatches that most people swap a K into. You'll probably run half a second quicker than an actual RSX (which aren't that fast to begin with).

Drop that 5 grand into a nice N/A build on the B16 or do a CR-VTEC with your B16 head (with a 5 grand build) and you'll stomp all over a stock K20 swap. K20's are nice for two reasons, to be unique (not even that unique these days) and to be fast in a really lightweight shell.

If I had your car and 5 grand for motor alone....no doubt, I'd get a B20b block with B16 head, high compression pistons, cams, I/H/E tune with hondata. You'd have way more power than a stock K20 and as good or better torque.

5 grand for a K swap in a car that will run mid 14's when done. Seems silly to me. The 00 SI is not lightweight like the EG hatches that most people swap a K into. You'll probably run half a second quicker than an actual RSX (which aren't that fast to begin with).

Drop that 5 grand into a nice N/A build on the B16 or do a CR-VTEC with your B16 head (with a 5 grand build) and you'll stomp all over a stock K20 swap. K20's are nice for two reasons, to be unique (not even that unique these days) and to be fast in a really lightweight shell.

If I had your car and 5 grand for motor alone....no doubt, I'd get a B20b block with B16 head, high compression pistons, cams, I/H/E tune with hondata. You'd have way more power than a stock K20 and as good or better torque.

Damn, how much do those SI's weigh? My eg is all of like 2100-2200 lb.

Yeah, I guess the b20/b16 built would be more powerful.

But that k24/k20.... I think that might yield some higher numbers.

if it was me i'm take a B20 block sleeve it, run a set of Eagle rods, and JE high comp. pistons to do the block. As for the head do a set of crower or skuink 2 springs and retainers, with a set of set of skunk 2 pro cams with a skunk 2 intake manifold and 66mm throttle body. Port and polish the head slap it on the block. Run an LSD in your stock tranny, with a fidanza flywheel and an ACT or Fidanza Street/Stripe clutch. Then tune it with hondata or crome. Now if you want a little more get up and go after all this done you can go nitrous and/or swap out your final drive for a 4.7

Edit: thats just me though i wouldn't put a K-series in your car.

yes, with 93 octane gas.

Edit: Skunk2 made 270+ with the Pro Series 2 cams with a 14.3:1 compression ration and race gas.

if you run an 11:1 with a 93 octtane gas it should put you around 210 ish. And i'm pretty sure i'm low balling it.

i was checking out cranny's swap earlier ummmmmm amazing haha, i would really like to try it, i havent heard to much about it in a 2000 si, i think it would be pretty interesting, i dont go back to college untill fall so id have a couple months to get everything worked out, this being my first build/swap

Archived