so i watched sicko the other day

seen it...was so true and eye-opening to some...

Canada has that kind of health care and it's great, except for some doctors keep making you go back and forth just so they will get paid more...but that still is better than what US has imo

Seen it and believe it. I know the Europe does have a great national health plan. My wife is from England and I have friends that live in Germany and Spain. Don't know about Canada.

You may hate Moore...but he did take a stand against insurance companies. All the news media (who are sponsered by insurance companies) basically shot down what he said in the movie as being all BS. That's why i really hate the media. They are so skewed about everything and especially towards their sponsers.

Ummm.... What he says in that movie is true. Completely, unutterable truth. I know, I work in the health care industry and it really is like that.

For those of you who say that you hate someone who stands up for people who are getting effed by the med/gov/anything, then you must really not care too much about people in general. I've been on the other side of the fence and have the med bills to prove it. And have received letters from the insurance company saying they won't pay for something for some bogus ass reason. So don't hate on someone who just tries to open people eyes to the actual problems around you.

You want someone to hate, hate that f*cking preacher who goes and protests soldiers funeral just because they died doing their jobs. And has little kids holding signs saying "Thank God for IED's."

Moore can be whoever he wants to be...that movie opened people's eyes and let people who have gotten f*ed over talk!

the health care system right now sucks...people die in hospitals "waiting" for approvals that never go through!!! listen to news!

I hope the next president seriously does something about this issue...

I haven't seen it, nor do I want to. Michael Moore does nothing but piss me off in a very grand way.

I'd much rather have no or private health care than a national health service after having dealt with the NHS in England many times. When you're in a national system nothing ever gets done, there's underfunding and its just generally one big mess. Yeah, it seems like a great idea on paper, but so did communism. I'm even going against my own family by saying all of this, but its very true. My grandfather would turn in his grave if he knew what the NHS has turned into when he put his heart and soul into setting it up after WW2. One of the first men to try and implement the system, try and get funding for the system, and tried to make the system work as well as possible got absolutely nothing from them in the end when he needed help. They left him in a room with minimal treatment while he suffered for 5 years with prostate cancer. When I've had to go to Accident & Emergency in the past, I've ended up waiting for up to 5 hours for stitches in an open wound near my vein, (which the doctor got up and took a 45 minute call in the middle of) and three hours for a quick 5 minute procedure to glue my eyebrow back together when there was absolutely no one else in the waiting area.

English NHS doctors are the highest paid in the world- charging nearly $50 a session, where they dont do anything except umm and ahh and then tell you to take some tylenol & come back in 2 weeks if symptoms persist. Or alternatively, they immediately ask for your entire back catalogue of sexual partners before trying to tell you that even though you've been celibate for a year and have always practiced safe sex, you absolutely must be pregnant or suffering from an STD simply because you're a 20-something. You cannot book appointments in advance, but rather you must call between 8:30 and 8:45am and hope that they can fit you in that day. Oh, and btw, you won't be seeing your regular doctor- he only works three days a week and only for half a day each. It can take up to 2 years just to get an MRI and just as long, if not longer to get certain treatments. They won't pay for medicines for alzheimers which costs only pennies to produce and distribute simply because they don't feel it'll be beneficial even though studies have shown that it's worked far better than anything else so far. They won't pay for certain prescriptions that are known to and have been proven to cure cancer. Hospitals are refusing expectant mothers because they have to make room for the boom of immigrant babies coming into the country. They don't keep their hospitals and practices clean and MRSA runs rife, with more deaths occuring because of the bacteria than of the reasons the patients went in for. All they care about is themselves, and won't do anything for anyone else- not even their collegues & friends. However, they have such a shortage of nurses and doctors from within the country that they have to place ads in the west indies, carribean and middle east in order to try and keep a reasonable number around in order to deal with the rapidly growing number of patients. Bear in mind, that those who respond to these ads have little to know knowledge and education of nursing.

The only reason why the Scottish health system works is because people pay into it. Its semi-privatized but people are willing to pay out of pocket for good health care so long as the taxes they're paying are being used correctly and keeping everything up to date. Its the same way with Canada & Ireland.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I'm glad someone who has seen both sides (damaged porceline) weighed in.

I'm not saying our system is perfect, but I am saying it's better than a public system. If you ask me, we would benefit from even more privatization, but I won't get into why since that's a big discussion that I don't feel like having.

I will say this: the people dying in hospitals waiting for clearance or approvals to get care... Where do you think those regulations come from?

We're destroying our private health care industry with government interference, forcing it to be neither private or public, so we end up with negatives from both sides. And what little truly private health care we had is being driven out of business by litigious America.

What I like about Moore is he takes advantage of our right to free speech. What I dislike about Moore is he takes advantage of our right to free speech.

Edit: Sorry about the late rant but I am kinda emotionally charged right now.

see, I think that if EVERYONE has the same health care system, then those politicans sitting in congress WILL make sure the health care system is good because they themselves and their families would be using the same system...maybe this is not such a correct theory...

what if they paid doctors based on # of patients who said were satisfied with the visit?! It would be hard to implement this but this could work because then it comes down to the customer/the people...and doctors trying to make the people happy!

there is no way that politicians would get the same health care as the general public. you really think that they get the same health care now? they are getting paid off i'm sure some of the "pay" is the fact that they get a doctor that will wait on them hand and foot. i can't stand the health system now but having universal health care would cause this country more harm than good. just my opinion but im glad that damaged porceline weighed in as well.

I know they don't have the same system right now...but if it TRULY went universal, then they should, in theory, get the same system too...

I think for the system to really get better for the people, the insurance companies have to take the initiative to make it work by not being such greedy bast*rds...but I don't see how that would ever happen...everyone is just so d*mn driven by the money...I hate materialism...

I real problem with health care is that it is not really health care. It is "make you sicker so you keep coming back" care. Doctors don't treat your root cause...they treat the symtoms. They don't find cures for diseases but just dump more medication to it to make us totally dependent on drugs. Just watch any phara commercial on tv and the side effects are enough for me not to take the medication. The FDA approves so many drugs that have ended up killing people. Why? Cause the FDA is controlled by lobbyist. Yet no legal action is taken against the phara companies by the FDA. So to make health care totally private will just make us worse. Both private health care industry and the FDA needs to be better regulated.

I don't claim to know the best solution but I know the way things are now are not good. Every year we top the amound of $$ spent on health care. We as a society are not getting better but getting sicker. Do you know that there are more 20-30 years old now having heart attack than ever before. Food for thought.

I agree with you...the system is very screwed up...

everything is about profit! and when it's not about profit, it still is not correct...

Pharma. companies are out of control too...just a while ago this one company found out that their drugs were contaminated with HIV virus...so instead of burning it all, they sent it to Europe and now those kids who got the drug are HIV positive...

I've worked in pharma. before and have seen some of the stuff that goes on...horrible!

Archived