ls vtec problems

ok ive benn trying to get my ls vtec built and have encountered problem after problem u know te deal.anyways i finally started putting it together and my plan was to use p30 pistons and then i found out there pressed on.machine shops have been telling me that if they take the pistons off the rods to put them on my ls rods they wil damage the piston and they cant be reused!is this true.ive already baught the pistons and this would suck.is there any way i can use them?

thats bullcrap. ive personally done it myself with a press. it wont hurt them. the wrist pin is not interference fit into the piston , its pressed into the rod itself.

yeah that's bullcrap. You can hurt the piston if they use the wrong tool to hold the piston

one more question.i didnt have a ring compressor so i went to my buddys house after i got one and they already had the pistons in.i was like how the hell did u guys get them in.apperantly they got all 4 pistons in using a screwdriver to compress the rings.i have heard that my rings r probably no good now cause they may supposedly there is some coating on the pistons that they may have scratched off.ne one know?should i get new rings and do it with the compressor or u think theyll be ok?

there is a big possiblity there ghost rider.

yeah you have the possiblity of damaging the rings and also having them clocked incorrectly. Also the oil control ring can ride on top of each other. a ring compressor is only 20 dollars at a local autoparts store. If your not gonna do the job right don't do it at all. Your wasting time and money

they have to come out. they are ruined for sure. get new rings man , and dont let ayone touch the car whos an idiot , simple , this hobby costs too much for idiots , its that simple. in fact if they were my friends , they might not be anymore , lol. your rings go like so:

hold the piston so the arrow points left , that arrow points to the timing belt. the IN stands for intake , which of course ends up on the intake side.

the rings go as follows going like a clock ok:

top compresion ring - 10 o clock

bottom compression ring - 8 o clock

top oil ring - 4 o clock

bottom oil ring - 5 o clock

the gap in the center oil ring(accordian one in laymans terms , lol) goes in between the 2 oil rings stated above at 4 and 5 o clock. line them up as ive said , compress them with a ring compressor making sre they stay in position as best you can , tap the pistons in. do either 1 and 4 first and tie them to the crank , or 3 and 4 first. always cover you rod bolts with rubber hose , protect from scratching the crank , just in case.

PS , if your using stock LS rods with ARP rod bolts , which i hope you are , lol , torque them in 2 steps , once to 15 lbs , than to 26.

ya i checked the rings and they look ok.i put them back in using a ring comppressor and i think im on track now.how bout the water oump.i got the gsr pump but the housing doesnt bolt up to my block.am i supposed to take both the new and old pumps to the machine shop ad swap the internals to my stock housing this is the only thing i can c that would work.is there ne thing else i can do?

• 3 weeks later...

a screw driver!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH WYLINNN OUT, even if they looked GREATER then when you first bought them ide make them buy me new rings an compress them in an after throw the screw driver at them lol jk get new ones compress them in an tourque spec the rods on the crank instead of hand tightening them or zippin them in with a air gun then take a socket an spin the crank make sure everything flows smooth,.,,,GOOD LUCK~!

AEM EMS<33

Archived