Brake light on when it is cold...

sprtbiker

My hand brake light stays on even after I have released it. This only happens on days when it is colder than freezing. My brothers old civic used to do that as well. It doesnt feel like the brake is engaged and I can live it but wondering if I need to bleed my brakes?

im pretty sure bleeding your brakes won't do anything, its normally a cable setup for the handbrake, so theres no fluid, but it may be that since its so cold things arent moving as freely in the system as they would in hotter weather.

its a honda/acura thing my moms integra does it when its cold and so does my friends integra. don't pay any attention to it, you will just stress yourself out. the brakes are not engaging so there is nothing to worry about.

That's what I figured. Just wondered if there was a fix. Not a big deal. I can live with it...like my SRS light being on all the time.

That's what I figured. Just wondered if there was a fix. Not a big deal. I can live with it...like my SRS light being on all the time.

Still check the brake fluid in the res. This is a common indicator and has happened on my teg before. However, the past few days my light is on until it warms up (and fluid is normal). Mind you it's about 4 degrees out in the morning when I leave.

yea what he said. I forgot that I had that happen too.

Still check the brake fluid in the res. This is a common indicator and has happened on my teg before. However, the past few days my light is on until it warms up (and fluid is normal). Mind you it's about 4 degrees out in the morning when I leave.

This issue can be remedied by getting a "turkey baster" at walmart or wherever. Remove the brake mastercyl reservoir cap, and use the "turkey baster" to remove all of the fluid from the reservoir. Then clean the reservoir cap, and the plastic screen piece with a rag and brake cleaner and use the rag on the reservoir. Then refill with new brake fluid - problem solved. This is very common in the 4th gen prelude as well. Some people decide to replace the mascyl cap and screen piece with new ones from the dealer (costs around $11) as well as changing the fluid in the mastercyl reservoir. So you can do that too if you don't mind the $11.

Archived