Air fan

rambandagi

Hi,

I have an 92 Accord. Recently the air fan (heating or A/C fans) stopped working. Initially it made a slight buzzing noise and stopped working altogether after 2 days. Could any one tell me if this is an electrical problem or is it that the fan itself is broken. I would greatly appreciate if someone could also tell me the cost of getting the fans replaced or repaired. Thanks a lot in advance! Ram

Run through the motions to be sure (fuses, grounds, etc.), but circuit problems tend to be digital in nature (it either works or it fails). Since the fan is an electrical motor, like other electric motors (that are NOT brushless), they tend to fail in a more organic/analogue way. They sputter, they fight, they, eventually die.

You might end up changing the motor, given the noise it was making.

Please note, you need to verify which of your two fans is failing, as you could very well misdiagnose this problem and spend money unnecessarily. Keep in mind a radiator fan will fail to cycle properly if the temperature sensor does not receive the proper input; and the temp sensor could be functioning properly but failing to respond to elevated cylinder temps due to poor coolant flow.

So like I said, run through the motions.

Run through the motions to be sure (fuses, grounds, etc.), but circuit problems tend to be digital in nature (it either works or it fails). Since the fan is an electrical motor, like other electric motors (that are NOT brushless), they tend to fail in a more organic/analogue way. They sputter, they fight, they, eventually die.

You might end up changing the motor, given the noise it was making.

Please note, you need to verify which of your two fans is failing, as you could very well misdiagnose this problem and spend money unnecessarily. Keep in mind a radiator fan will fail to cycle properly if the temperature sensor does not receive the proper input; and the temp sensor could be functioning properly but failing to respond to elevated cylinder temps due to poor coolant flow.

So like I said, run through the motions.

Thanks a lot James. Do you have an idea as to how much it would cost to get the motor replaced? Ram

Hi James,

I took my accord to a mechanic and had him evaluate the blower motor. He says that the blower motor is broken and needs to be replaced. However, I did not get it done (he charged me 30 $ for inspection and said the replacement and repair would cost 550$!!!)

I am still confused, since the fan does work after I start the car - it runs at all speeds and blows air well. But, as I drive the car around it will stop working after some time. I am wondering if it is the motor resistor (but, I learned that with a problem in the resistor, the fan must blow at high speed only - mine blows at all speeds, but stops after some time). Or is it that the fan needs some cleaning?

Any feedback would be greatly helpful. Also if you have worked with blower motor, how hard is it for an amateur like me to replace the blower motor or the resistor myself (they cost 125 and 50$ respectively, as against the quoted figure of 200 by this mechanic).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ram

Just to clarify, it's the motor under the far right side of the dash right?

If it is the part cost like 50 bucks and you can replace it in your driveway easily with a haynes manual.

If it's one of the fans in the engine bay. They only cost bout a hundred bucks at most and once again all you need is a haynes manual and you are gold.

Just to clarify, it's the motor under the far right side of the dash right?

If it is the part cost like 50 bucks and you can replace it in your driveway easily with a haynes manual.

If it's one of the fans in the engine bay. They only cost bout a hundred bucks at most and once again all you need is a haynes manual and you are gold.

Hi Kegger,

Thanks a lot. I guess the blower motor (that which blows air for the heater and A/C) - for an Accord (92) must be located under the glove box or under the far right side of the dash.... I am not sure about the fan in the engine bay? Let me know if I am getting this right. I will try my luck eitherways with the haynes manual. Thanks again, Ram.

Hi James,

I took my accord to a mechanic and had him evaluate the blower motor. He says that the blower motor is broken and needs to be replaced....

Look at what I went through, here, with the same problem.

It's your money and time, but I would go ahead and bite the bullet and change the motor. It takes a phillips head screw driver and 20 minutes to change that motor. Anyone can do it.

• 2 months later...

Simple way to check for a bad blower motor is to turn the switch on, take your fits and reach under the glove box and give it a good wack. Believe it or not they will usually turn right on (maybe with a couple of hits). If it comes on then you can assume the electrical supply is good and the motor is bad. This saves you the time of taking it out and bench testing it.

Archived