Installing a Tachometer on a Del Sol

nickysamm

Hello everyone!

I have a 1994 CRX Del Sol with a 1490cc engine. I recently bought a Type-R tachometer complete with shift light off ebay and went to my electrician to have it installed.

After having a look at the engine bay he told me that I could not install this tachometer because if I do I would probably damage the ECU since everything is integrated in the distributor. Have you ever hear of such a problem?

Has anyone of you installed a tachometer on a del sol? If so please do comment!

As you know the rev. counter on the del sol has a number of LEDs for battery, oil level, and engine temp' warnings so I thought I should not disengage the power supply of the factory rev. counter. On the other hand, if I have 2 tachometers working in parallel the readings will not be true since the current through the circuit would be divided equally...am I right?

I hope someone helps me with this!

Thanks,

nickysamm

On the other hand, if I have 2 tachometers working in parallel the readings will not be true since the current through the circuit would be divided equally...am I right?

no, it isn't based upon voltage, or amperage. it is a normally closed circuit, and it counts every time that the circuit is broken and counts every 2 breaks as a revolution of the crank.

Hook the wire to the ground that goes from your distributor, to your coil, and you'd be set.

btw... most electricians don't know sh!t about dc current.

yes , T tap the blue wire from the dizzy , run it through the firewall to the tach , done.

Thanks for the feedback cranny!...Just so we're clear and Im understanding you perfectly - I'll disconnect the blue wire running into the factory rev. counter and re-direct it to the new tachometer. I'll still let the power wire running into the stock/factory rev. counter since the meter has additional LEDs showing the battery, temperature, oil level and 'check engine' warning lights.

Do you think this is a good idea? In this way I wont be interfering with the ECU no ? (same current running throughout the circuit).

Thanks - looking forward to hear from you all.

nickysamm

Just tap into the blue wire don't disconnect it.

Thanks Kegger...but if I tap into it wont I get incorrect results since I'll have both tachometers working in parallel?

I want to have 2 tachometers working because the factory rev. counter has LEds within it with engine warning lights so I dont want to disable them.

what do you think?

huh ???

If anyone has a del sol you might understand my problem...I dont want to disable the power going into the rev. counter. I just want to disable the needle and re-direct it into the new tachometer.

As far as I know (please correct me)...if I have a circuit running in parallel I will have incorrect results since the voltage is split between the two tachs....

You help is very much appreciated guys/and girls!!!

Archived