Clutch and Flywheel

94typersol

Yo HF whats up?I'm looking for a really good clutch and flywheel for ma sol.I'm going with ACT they are the best in my op.i wanna get a 4 puck clutch and 11.5lbs flywheel,my question is has anybody out their gotten this combo or does anybody know where i can get them cheap.any help would be kool.one more thing my ride needs a new head gasket and im looking at like mugen or hks but everything i read says you'll need head work but that dont make sence to me.so yeah hit me up.

Yeah there's really no need for anything but an OEM headgasket. Why try to spend the extra money? Just to list it as something you've done, like people who write that they always use Royal Purple when they change their oil in their list of mods or something?

I think Fidanza makes a good flywheel for the sol but it's a lot lighter than that I think. Like 7 lbs. or something. There are lots of other good brands of clutches like Exedy etc. and, unless you're pushing major power I don't see any reason you'd want a 4 puck. It'd just be a pain in the ass to drive every day, assuming this is your daily driver. Otherwise just do some searching around -- this question has been asked a lot in various sections of the site.

Yeah there's really no need for anything but an OEM headgasket. Why try to spend the extra money? Just to list it as something you've done, like people who write that they always use Royal Purple when they change their oil in their list of mods or something?

I think Fidanza makes a good flywheel for the sol but it's a lot lighter than that I think. Like 7 lbs. or something. There are lots of other good brands of clutches like Exedy etc. and, unless you're pushing major power I don't see any reason you'd want a 4 puck. It'd just be a pain in the ass to drive every day, assuming this is your daily driver. Otherwise just do some searching around -- this question has been asked a lot in various sections of the site.

Thanks man.See the reason why i asked about the headgasket is because i read somewhere that the d16z6 has a crappy head gasket and its just one of those things to swap to a little better one thats all.And for the clutch I don't have that much on it already just have a DC 4-2-1 header,Aem cold air intake,tanabe exhaust,dc short shifter,aem cam gear,aem timing belt,and some other stuff.but im gonna boost it soon so i figured it would be best to get a good cluch and flywheel.One more thing correct me if im wrong but the lighter the flywheel the the crapper the acceleration?any info of the best combo for my sol would be kool thanks.

The crappy acceleration isn't the case. Your going to accelerate a little faster cause the motor can turn it easier. However if your going to launch the car for drag racing then a heavier flywheel will work better for you. I have a lightweight 8 lb. Fidanza flywheel. But I auto-X so that helps me accelerate faster out of the corners. It all depends on what you want to do. As for the 4 puck clutch, the full face ceramic clutch is a lot nicer. 4 puck is alot stiffer and it causes a rougher take off, but they are great is your motor is built and you are looking to race it. But if you are looking to drive it daily.. then a full face ceramic would be best for you.

Basically the lighter the flywheel the more sensitive the accelerator pedal. If that's what you like then get a lighter one. If you don't want a sensitive throttle then don't get any lighter than stock (I think no lighter than 12 lbs.) but personally I'd love to have a lighter flywheel. Allows for more precise rev adjustments if you get good at it. If you go too light I hear it will screw up your idle, since there's less rotating mass to keep things stable, but I haven't heard anything bad about the Fidanzas used in sols, even the really light ones.

If you are gonna turbo then I agree that it makes sense to get a strong enough clutch now rather than spending the money and doing the install twice. I'd get a stage one or two depending on how much power you're planning on. They'll say what they're rated for. Keep in mind that the stiffer the clutch the more like an on-off switch it's gonna be, which will make driving around with passengers more and more of a pain.

Archived