carbon fiber crx?

Honda_boyd0.ob

I think that would look horrible (this coming from a guy who had CF fenders >_< ) and wouldn't make much of a difference racing-wise unless you converted the heaviest components such as the roof/doors and gutted the interior pretty well too.

the cost would be waaay too much. lol Plus, I don't know how I would vacuum bag the entire thing. If I could find a way to bag it, I would vacuum bag the fiberglass, and make it stronger, and quite a bit lighter too.

those buggies don't weigh much more than 1200lbs, and get blown around enough on the street.

whoever would use aluminum on a frame in a fiberglass car is just asking for a death-wish. (unless it is for the floor pan)

I know what you mean. I had a '71 bug with a full fiberglass front end and the baja fiber glass rear fenders. That thing sucked to drive on windy days and it wasn't even full fiberglass.

whoever would use aluminum on a frame in a fiberglass car is just asking for a death-wish. (unless it is for the floor pan)

Well, they didn't use Carbon Fiber, but I thought Aluminum and Fiber Glass was the design of the 1960's and 1970's F1 chassis.

I think that would look horrible (this coming from a guy who had CF fenders >_< ) and wouldn't make much of a difference racing-wise unless you converted the heaviest components such as the roof/doors and gutted the interior pretty well too.

Exactly my thoughts. Sure, carbon fiber is light, but most people use it for looks. If your looking to make a real race car for the track..honestly Carbon fiber components would be the last thing you do. Gutting the interior, such as waanabstuntin said, is your best bet for lowering the weight. This includes carpet, door panels, all the vinyl crap that the roof is covered in..basically going down to straight metal in the car.

Dont get me wrong you can cut considerable weight with CF. I have a friend who built a GTI..his hood weight went from 32 pounds to 7.5 with a CF hood. Thats a considerable drop...but your looking at spending 700 bucks at least on a hood, when you can Gut your interior for free :p

However if your going for looks...I agree with 95delsolboy. Hood and mirrors at the most. If your like me though, the hood is the ugliest part on the CRX. :)

Archived