Question for LS Vtec

Riddle

Hi i'm asking this for my friend. People been telling him that I guess LS Vtec blows up easy or something, he just built a motor with these mods.

2.0 LS/VTEC

B16 head

ITR cams

REV dual valve springs & retainers

Skunk 2 cam gears

ARP head studs

JG Edlebrock Victor X intake manifold

JE 9:1 Compression pistons

Eagle Rods

Darton Sleeves

Moroso oil pan

GSR Tranny with Phantom grip (LSD)

AEM fuel rail

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

Precision 1000cc injectors

Aeromotive fuel pump

Sump

MSD

AVID mount kit

Precision T70 Turbo

Top mount turbo manifold

3 inch down pipe

Custom turbo piping

Tial 44mm wastegate

Tial blowoff valve

Precision 750 intercooler

Apexi N1 exhaust

AEM Engine management

Can someone tell me if this is going to be reliable or there is going to be problems?

Thank you

its hard to tell. we dont know the exact condition of the block or head when your friend started his build. we also dont know how much boost he is pushing. we also dont know if your friend drives like an idiot and races to each stop light or if he actually drives like a sane person. also what kind of oil is he using, how often does he change it. turbos eat up oil fast.

lsvtec can be a good build, if done right. but if your friend tried to rush it and cut corners or if he didnt break it in properly, then of course he is going to have problems.

The motor i guess after build has 347 miles on it and that was just to transport it to storage. For what I know is people are saying stuff about blowing up and now he is nervious that he sank all that money into something thats gonna blow

how many miles were on the different motors before the build?

and remind your friend to take it easy on the motor until its broken in. as long as he isnt stupid with it, it should hold up

I know that it was dynoed and tuned with 93 octane so pretty much take it easy till broken in and he has a reliable motor?

it should be a stout build. the myth that ls/vtecs blows was due to the oiling issues that the engine will have. alot spin bearings because they dont install a vtec oil pump. The other thing to consider is the piston to valve clearence. As long as the main, rod, thrust clearence is set correctly you should have a nice running more. also check piston clearance. Alot of the stories that are told, don't mention that they installed it on a block the had 250,000 miles on it or they just bolted it on and rev the crap out of it

2.0 ls/vtec? last i knew the LS/vtec's were a 1.8l motor unless bored ans srtoked. nothing in the build suggests a bore and stroke i'd have to say he's using a b20 bottom end making it a cr/vtec. Not much of a different build just last i knew the B20 bottom ends werent as strong as the B18b.

Doesn't matter what block he's running. It's sleeved. So it could very well be a B18 block with 85mm bore sleeves in it. Or it could just be a Sleeved B20 block. But it ain't gonna blow.

Doesn't matter what block he's running. It's sleeved. So it could very well be a B18 block with 85mm bore sleeves in it. Or it could just be a Sleeved B20 block. But it ain't gonna blow.

whats actually most important about ls-v's is whether or not the head is tapped correctly and that oil pressure is maintained throughout the head.i got it after F@%^ UP MY FIRST FREINKENSTEIN. but hes boosting too , so oil pressure is critical for the head. i got a couple buddies that have really really simular setups like ur buddys. their doing 12S or lower . and their engines have last them for almost two years (thats because they dont mash on any subaru or domestic they happen to catch at a light). but hes gotta damn good setup tho

Sounds like an oiling problem.Did he install a high pressure oil pump ?GSR oil pump would work.

What about the water pump? you could use the GSP water pump too.

None of these items were mentioned in your list.Thats rpobably where his problem is.

my lsvtec build exploded....but that's because i ran out of cash and couldn't build the bottom end.

so i was running a brand C1 head on a A1 block with 240,000K miles on it haha, that's the kind that blow up, your buddy should have no problems cause that's a real nice/quick build that he put together...

I have an LS swap and was wondering what all it would take to do an LS/VTEC instead of going a full GSR swap. But I have heard that LS/VTEC will run into a few problems, and was wondering how easy it would be to do the LS/VTEC instead

after having said that..you'd ALMOST think you wouldn't wanna' do it.

It is pretty strong i just want more power although it is my everyday driver i still like to play with it some. I have nitrous and turbo but it is for my other car im building

If it's your daily driver then I wouldn't touch it... it will just cause problems

Archived