I need to upgrade my 92-95 Civic suspension.

This is what I have lined out...Koni Yellows with Tein H-Tech springs.

The Konis are $450 shipped, and the Tein springs are $169 shipped.

Will this be a good combo to met my DD requirements?

Do not get H-tech's with Koni Yellows. H-techs are a almost a factory spring rate and will be too soft to go with the Yellows. At the least get S-techs and even then it's a little soft for yellows.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do not get H-tech's with Koni Yellows. H-techs are a almost a factory spring rate and will be too soft to go with the Yellows. At the least get S-techs and even then it's a little soft for yellows.

What's the measurement for spring rate Hung? What is it for these springs?

I don't know the actual spring rates. But S-techs aren't much stiffer than stock and H-techs are softer than S-techs. H-techs are used a lot on luxury types of vehicles to give a small drop with no change in ride quality. (no change in handling either aside from the lower center of gravity)

I don't know the actual spring rates. But S-techs aren't much stiffer than stock and H-techs are softer than S-techs. H-techs are used a lot on luxury types of vehicles to give a small drop with no change in ride quality. (no change in handling either aside from the lower center of gravity)

Understandable.....So what is the best bang for the buck spring that will be a perfect match for the yellows and maybe under $200?

If you want a comfy ride still, S-techs are good, but Yellows are really a top end shock used for auot-x and road racing on a car that's also a daily driver. If you are only going to drop 1.5" and don't plan to raod race ( not the same as street racing), then I think Yellows are way overkill.

In my opinion, you'd be better suited with Tokico Illumina's and Tein S-techs or the Eibach pro-kit springs.

If you want a comfy ride still, S-techs are good, but Yellows are really a top end shock used for auot-x and road racing on a car that's also a daily driver. If you are only going to drop 1.5" and don't plan to raod race ( not the same as street racing), then I think Yellows are way overkill.

In my opinion, you'd be better suited with Tokico Illumina's and Tein S-techs or the Eibach pro-kit springs.

not really doing any road racing....just loooking for something to handle well. What is everyone else running as far as springs with the yellows?

not really doing any road racing....just loooking for something to handle well. What is everyone else running as far as springs with the yellows?

Everybody I've seen is running Ground Control Coilovers with the Koni Yellows and most use custom spring rates for their needs. Most are also running a 2-3" drop.

Everybody I've seen is running Ground Control Coilovers with the Koni Yellows and most use custom spring rates for their needs. Most are also running a 2-3" drop.

Hung, aren't coilovers a replacement for the Konis?

Like, don't you need coilovers OR springs and shocks?

Ground Controls are a coilover spring that goes over the shock. Adjustable spring perches. You can get full coilovers (spring and shock combo) or coilover sleeves/springs which mount to a shock.

Here's an picture of my setup before installation The red/gold are the coilovers (springs and sleeves) and the white are the struts.

Suspension1small.jpg

How rough do those ride...i fil that anything over 1.75" would be too much and also the camber problem I could see myself fighting.

Ok let me do this........you have $700 to spend on your 95 hatch.....lets so you guys upgrade.

TS_John started a good suspension thread, you could probably find some good answers in there

eBay!! i ran a set of springs and perches off of ebay for over a year with no real issues and it had a decent ride. swapped the springs for a set of eibach i believe.

How rough do those ride...i fil that anything over 1.75" would be too much and also the camber problem I could see myself fighting.

Ok let me do this........you have $700 to spend on your 95 hatch.....lets so you guys upgrade.

They ride great...not even harsh really on setting 2. However, I'm dropped 3" with 1.75" extended top hats in the rear, and 1.25" extended top hats in the front, plus I modified the front shocks to sit lower in the spring perch (1.25" lower), which gives extra shock travel.....

So...as far as my shocks (shock travel) are concerned, I'm dropped .5" in the front and 1.25" in the rear (as far as the equivalent shock travel).

They ride great...not even harsh really on setting 2. However, I'm dropped 3" with 1.75" extended top hats in the rear, and 1.25" extended top hats in the front, plus I modified the front shocks to sit lower in the spring perch (1.25" lower), which gives extra shock travel.....

So...as far as my shocks (shock travel) are concerned, I'm dropped .5" in the front and 1.25" in the rear (as far as the equivalent shock travel).

What all is involved in extending the top hats?

• 3 weeks later...
What all is involved in extending the top hats?

Sorry I never saw this, but I'll answer the question anyway. To extend to top hat, you cut the top section of the top hat in half, add a 1-2 inch piece of metal tubing (not sure on the diamater exactly), and weld the tube into the section you cut. Here's a couple pictures of my extended top hats to give a picture with the explanation.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Sorry I never saw this, but I'll answer the question anyway. To extend to top hat, you cut the top section of the top hat in half, add a 1-2 inch piece of metal tubing (not sure on the diamater exactly), and weld the tube into the section you cut. Here's a couple pictures of my extended top hats to give a picture with the explanation.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

I figured you happen to miss my post. You helped me a ton and so did the others.

How much of myy bump stops do I need to cut off with the drop I am going with?

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

I remember when you were looking for a set of top hats so you wouldnt have to take yours off of your vehicle to have that done, and I was going to send you some, but for some reason it never happened......I wonder if I still have those, because thats how I was planning on making a set of those, just get a footlong piece of metal tubing and use a chop saw to cut the right lenght, and weld it in between......yep.

I remember when you were looking for a set of top hats so you wouldnt have to take yours off of your vehicle to have that done, and I was going to send you some, but for some reason it never happened......I wonder if I still have those, because thats how I was planning on making a set of those, just get a footlong piece of metal tubing and use a chop saw to cut the right lenght, and weld it in between......yep.

HMMM wonder if the top hats for the sol would fit my hatch? If they do I may be interested in a set to have around.:thumbsup:

Archived