supercharged or turbo?

Currpt_God

lsvtec in a 92 civic hatch......

trying to decide on a turbo or supercharger?

friends keep trying to get me to go with the supercharger because you dont see it too often but is there any disadvantages of the supercharger over the turbo and vise versa?

what do you guys think i should go with?

i want to produce about 350whp

Thanks again guys

Turbo would be better for top end 1/4 mile sprints, or a smaller turbo would be nice for auto-x..

But a pulley powered supercharger would keep boost no matter what and build as the rpm's grew which would be OUTSTANDING on an auto-x track or on any sorta' circuit track.

Like Rick said..allllllll depends on what you're wanting to do with your setup. Personally I'd take the turbocharged path.

the more power youre making the more gas youre burning. so if you want to be making tons of power at 2-3k rpms while getting groceries driving around town then go ahead and go with the supercharger. if you dont mind saving a little gas and having a small lag and then be thrown into your seat once you hit boost, then get a turbo.

Or you baby it and shortshift it like most domestic owners or import owners with a roots-style blower would do.

Then there's always the centrifigual mount supercharger, ALSO pulley driven.

thanks for the help guys .... the car is going to be for the 1/4 mile but also a weekend driver so i think i might just stick with the turbo......... i know not to go with an ebay turbo so do you guys have any suggestions on where to start i have read the fourm on turbo builds on the site but i mean for brand names and price ranges?

depends on how big you want to go with a build your own kit. my goal is a ram horn style header with a 3" down pipe and a gt35r turbo. but thats me and thats goin on a b18c when i cen get the fundage. so it all depends on youw budget and how much your willing to research your build.

just go with a greddy kit. it has all the stuff you need and can easily give you the power you want

Really? I've never seen a greddy kit give 350whp on a 1.8L honda or smaller. I'm sure it's possible, but the greddy turbo in that kit is pretty small. I'd imagine you'd have to run a lot of boost to get that little turbo to produce 350whp.

My suggestion. Get a peakboost kit and Hondata. Peakboost kit at 8psi on a B18C1 hits around 320whp or more. Greddy kit on 8psi would probably get you around 220whp on a B18C1.

Really? I've never seen a greddy kit give 350whp on a 1.8L honda or smaller. I'm sure it's possible, but the greddy turbo in that kit is pretty small. I'd imagine you'd have to run a lot of boost to get that little turbo to produce 350whp.

My suggestion. Get a peakboost kit and Hondata. Peakboost kit at 8psi on a B18C1 hits around 320whp or more. Greddy kit on 8psi would probably get you around 220whp on a B18C1.

ya really. he is looking to make 350whp. which means that he is going to be building his block and doing all of the mods necessary.

assuming he has a usdm gsr motor, a skunk2 IM, and stage 1 cams will give you 180whp. dyno chart

i think with a built motor, rods, pistons, tb, retainers, valves, ect. he will have no problem hitting the 350hp mark

you can piece it together, then go for it! As others mentioned, you gotta do some research...gonna have to do some building since you don't want to stay with the stock stuff trying to produce that much power out of your motor...this can get expensive so budget matters...

Archived