Gas mileage still sorta sucks

So, why am I only getting 26 mpg when doing 35/65 highway/city driving? I get the same even if there's no highway driving in there at all, actually. Granted it's winter and I mostly make short trips (school is less than 7 miles away) but still...

List of things I've done recently:

--Changed oil 5 months ago with AMSOIL full-synth that's good for a full year

--New NGK sparkplugs and wires

--New distributor cap and rotor

--New Catylitic convertor

--Even used some Techron fuel system cleaner even though I don't think that does anything...

I only have about 41k on the D16Z6 and shift usually around 3-3500 rpms. My old D15B7 would have gotten 29 mpg at least under these conditions and that had over 200k on it.

Is it just that the D16Z6 is more powerful and less efficient? Is it that having a cat-back exhaust hurts mileage more than intake and header (I didn't have an exhaust system on the last sol)?

What else can I do, if anything?

Oh, yeah, I do that too, fairly frequently. I should check them again though, been almost a month.

Maybe it's possible that the oil needs to be changed already?

Edit: Edmunds.com is saying I should be getting between 29-33, which is what I got in my last one exactly.

i never get above 28 mpg when i drive normally. stock d16y8 too. i've only gotten 25 recently cuz i've been playing, but i can't really complain about a 3mpg difference on a 10 gallon tank, and cuz i used to only get 18mpg on my ranger.

So, why am I only getting 26 mpg when doing 35/65 highway/city driving? I get the same even if there's no highway driving in there at all, actually. Granted it's winter and I mostly make short trips (school is less than 7 miles away) but still...

List of things I've done recently:

--Changed oil 5 months ago with AMSOIL full-synth that's good for a full year

--New NGK sparkplugs and wires

--New distributor cap and rotor

--New Catylitic convertor

--Even used some Techron fuel system cleaner even though I don't think that does anything...

I only have about 41k on the D16Z6 and shift usually around 3-3500 rpms. My old D15B7 would have gotten 29 mpg at least under these conditions and that had over 200k on it.

Is it just that the D16Z6 is more powerful and less efficient? Is it that having a cat-back exhaust hurts mileage more than intake and header (I didn't have an exhaust system on the last sol)?

What else can I do, if anything?

wow that's pretty low for a honda. My honda does 40 mpg on the highway and about 32-35 city. I get about 400miles to the tank. Oil should be changed more frequently. Always check your tire pressure. I inflate to 36-40 psi depending on the specs of the tire. Have your alignment checked also. Is the timing at 16btdc? air filter should be clean and put new pcv valve. check valve lash also. The biggest mpg increase would be to put a new o2 sensor even if it doesn't pop a code out. I picked up an extra 100 miles a tank when I changed mine. I found out it was bad when I scoped the o2 and saw that the signal was stuck on lean telling the ecu to richin the mixture. I probed the tailpipe and got 7% co reading when the requirement was under 1% for my car. Never had a code. So I would invest in a o2 sensor. Hope that helps. Its good to get a free flowing exhaust and filter it will help with mpg and power but remember the more air the engine ingest the more fuel needs to be added to get the proper mixture. Aftermarket ignitions help as you can increase the gap on the plugs.

I hadn't thought about O2 sensor. Gonna do that soon, now that you mention it. Doubt anything's up with it since I just passed emissions with my old exhaust/cat and this same O2 sensor. Still, I'll do it just to do it.

The air filter is a new AEM intake filter with less than 3k on it. And my alignment feels fine although it hasn't been done in a while. Doesn't pull at all and doesn't wear the tires unevenly though.

Haven't looked at the timing since it idles and runs fine. Nor have I changed PCV valve or checked valve lash. How do I do these things?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And I'm deffo a very easy driver on it, plus I hardly ever use a/c even in the summer.

I'm gonna look into a few more things like I said earlier. I'm hopeful that it's the O2 sensor since I have a "new" one to put in with only a few thousand miles on it.

This is strange because my del sol would get 32mpg all day long and almost 34 if I was really easy on it....and it was the B16. I'd think your D16 would be better on gas than the B16.

wouldn't a b16 get better mileage any ways because it has more torque and makes power more efficiently?

more power the more fuel used. Get a new o2 sensor as they are only 45 dollars.

if the car is more efficient it will put more of the power from the same amount of gas to the wheels. why would a 2000 integra ls get 22/28 mpg, and why is an integra typer, same year, rated at 25/30 mpg?

His del sol is rated higher than 25/30, just his isn't doing it. Argue all you want, but the facts show that the smaller engines get better gas mileage. You can argue why you think it's wrong, but the data and facts can't be argued. In order of best gas mileage to worst

Del Sol S

Del Sol Si

Del Sol VTEC

Integra GSR

Those are according to manufacturers so argue with them.....if you are producing more horsepower, you are burning more fuel.

I have a d15 sol w/ fried piston rings and I still drive it very spiritedly, but I still get 32 mpg during the summer...I always change the oil @ 300o but still you should be doing better...Plus I have Header, high flow cat, and cat back, and intake...Its on 17's w/ a 35 sidewall I think and I only use reg. pump gas

-Travis

His del sol is rated higher than 25/30, just his isn't doing it. Argue all you want, but the facts show that the smaller engines get better gas mileage. You can argue why you think it's wrong, but the data and facts can't be argued. In order of best gas mileage to worst

Del Sol S

Del Sol Si

Del Sol VTEC

Integra GSR

Those are according to manufacturers so argue with them.....if you are producing more horsepower, you are burning more fuel.

eh, i reject your reality and substitute my own. i guess i just got bad example, my bad.

even so, how come diesel engines make so much more torque and get better mileage than a similar gas engine? prolly a bad comparison but i'm still curious.

diesels are a whole different breed, and you could go on for days as to why they are more efficient.

Main reasons:

1 high torque produced at cruise rpm.

2 can run SUPER lean, because they can't detonate.

3 diesel fuel contains more energy than gasoline

4 diesels are fuel throttled, while gas engines are air throttled. The air throttle on gas cars causes the engine to struggle to pull in air every other stroke, when the TB is just barely cracked open.

"diesels are a whole different breed, and you could go on for days as to why they are more efficient"

Don't forget that the soot in their exhaust is an indication of how complete the diesel combustion cycle is. Black soot is non-bonded carbon molecules. Unburnt fuel pollutes gasoline powered engine exhaust; the more incomplete the combustion, the more "gassey" your exhaust smells.

Personally, I will take soot over HCs anyday. HCs have a broad Infrared absorbance spectra, whereas soot is narrow and eventally settles to the surface of the earth. HCs are terrible greenhouse gases, soot too, but not so bad.

Or you could just buy one of the new diesels that don't produce soot like nobody's business. Yuck.

Anyway, I'm gonna change my O2 sensor this weekend hopefully, and see what a new fuel filter would run me. We'll see where I'm at after that.

Or you could just buy one of the new diesels that don't produce soot like nobody's business. Yuck.

Anyway, I'm gonna change my O2 sensor this weekend hopefully, and see what a new fuel filter would run me. We'll see where I'm at after that.

that is until you chip it :thumbsup:

dang all this stuff just for a couple mpg. how much money have you put into it so far?

if you car is not starving for fuel that a fuel filter won't make any difference in mpg. filters get clogged which in turns means less fuel and poor performance (lack of power or response) get the o2 only

Archived