Honda FCX

VR17

wow what an essay you guys are typing.. :sleep2:

anyways, ive made a post about th 2005 FCX model and that thing was ugggly, this one looks alot better considering its a somewhat form of a civic sedan. the 2005 FCX is just a prototype, and this was what i found on their website.. now to explain the question about how yah gonna fuel cell it, im pretty sure sooner or later they are gonna have few fuel stations, or if your rich enough, i read that you can install one yourself, in your home. pretty cool idea, just charge it at my crib when i get one of demz.. ninja.gif, the interior looks sweet, i imagine it would feel as comfy as a honda fit, except for the rear seatings.. and if they made it looks a lil bit decent in the front.

As comfy as a Honda Fit? LOL...dude the car has the same wheelbase and width as the mid-size Accord that just came out. And as I stated before this car will come standard with a lot of comfort/luxury features...like ventilated seats, which isn't even on an RL. The home fueling stations do exist but are not available to the public just yet.

what i meant in my other post was that it takes energy to seperate hydrogen and oxygen from water. you have to take two electrodes, place them in water, and pump electricity into it. hydrogen and oxygen bind in water because they are sharing an electron. by putting electricity into it, you are adding electrons, meaning that the two molocules no longer have to share one, and don't have stay bonded. they then break up into hydrogen and oxygen.

i think that instead of trying to re-do the entire power train on cars, why not just make engine burn hydrogen instead of hydrocarbon fuels.

when you burn something it is basically just a reaction it is having with oxygen. when you burn a hydrocarbon such as gasoline you cause the fuel, made up of carbon, hydrgoen, and oxygen atoms, to react with the oxygen in the air. the result is energy in the form heat, water, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide.

now when you burn hydrogen gas you are also just causing it to react with the oxygen in the atmosphere. hydrogen only exists as H2 in a natural state, so when H2 and oxygen react, the two combine and make water, and energy in the form of heat.

now given all of this, instead of having to re-create the engine or try to get something entirely new, why not just make it so that regular combustion engines can burn hydrogen. this would be ALOT easier than starting from scratch. plus the exhaust coming out of the car would just be water vapor.

I've thought the same thing. Hydrogen in the presence of Oxygen is extremely explosive.....definately enough to power a car. Seems like with much less work than they put into hydrogen fuel cell cars that they could have done as you said and made a combustion engine to run on Hydrogen instead of gasoline.

I've thought the same thing. Hydrogen in the presence of Oxygen is extremely explosive.....definately enough to power a car. Seems like with much less work than they put into hydrogen fuel cell cars that they could have done as you said and made a combustion engine to run on Hydrogen instead of gasoline.

they also tried running a car on hyrdogen on myth busters. they had a big tank of it and just stuck the hose from the tank down into the carb and it started up and ran. it backfired out the carb like 2 times but that could be fixed with better mixture and timing right? only think i would be worried about is driving around in a car with what could basically be a bomb in my trunk.

..... of course it dosent work that way.. you cant run hydrogen without running unproperly, bomb in the back? just think of it as a normal gas tank. your gas tank is basically a bomb.

as far as I know they don't have cars running straight up hydrogen for two reasons (my opinions):

one is the natural progression of technology. If you are going to do something new and inventive, why not redo it so it is quieter and simpler? An internal combustion engine is a very old technology by modern standards. It has a ridiculous number of moving parts, it is loud and rather difficult to service. A electric motor is far quieter and is vastly simpler. It takes up less space, comparatively, and under the right circumstances it can produce more hp and way more torque then a comparable IC engine.

second is the bomb theory. in the fuel cell cars you have a simple, non-explosive reaction occurring. Perfectly safe and no emissions. Internal combustion and hydrogen....Anyone remember seeing/reading about the Hindenburg?

as far as I know they don't have cars running straight up hydrogen for two reasons (my opinions):

one is the natural progression of technology. If you are going to do something new and inventive, why not redo it so it is quieter and simpler? An internal combustion engine is a very old technology by modern standards. It has a ridiculous number of moving parts, it is loud and rather difficult to service. A electric motor is far quieter and is vastly simpler. It takes up less space, comparatively, and under the right circumstances it can produce more hp and way more torque then a comparable IC engine.

second is the bomb theory. in the fuel cell cars you have a simple, non-explosive reaction occurring. Perfectly safe and no emissions. Internal combustion and hydrogen....Anyone remember seeing/reading about the Hindenburg?

exactly..

hindenburg? isnt that tha blimp on fire.

exactly..

hindenburg? isnt that tha blimp on fire.

yes. it wasn't powered by hydrogen, but used it to make the thing float. one spark caused by static from a storm (if I remember correctly) caused the the whole thing to go up in flames. ever since then there had been a stigme against using H2 for anything.

Also I believe the Hindenburg had highly flammable paint on the outside too, if I remember correctly. So it was a bomb inside and out.

it was coated in aluminum oxide paint, which when burned makes thermite. and H2 must be kept either very cold or under great pressure in order to store enough of it. It would be in a pressurized tank in the back of the car. if the tank ruptures in an accident, it has a greater chance of ignighting than gasoline. and gasoline doesn't explode in a car accident, it burns fairly slowly. hydrogen, however, does explode.

with a fuel cell system there is no need for a typical spark and ignition, so no chance of an accidental fire via that interaction. Just keep an eye out on the highway at how many cars catch fire regularly anyway from shorts in the ignition and such. Here in Columbus I pass about 1 new one every other day. If that was a hydrogen IC engine the fire wouldn't have burned, it would have gone boom.

with a fuel cell system there is no need for a typical spark and ignition, so no chance of an accidental fire via that interaction. Just keep an eye out on the highway at how many cars catch fire regularly anyway from shorts in the ignition and such. Here in Columbus I pass about 1 new one every other day. If that was a hydrogen IC engine the fire wouldn't have burned, it would have gone boom.

even without IC there is still a greater chance of fire. in a fuel cell car their is nothing but electricity. and there are alot of sparks shooting around in an accident anyways. we would finally get car explosions like in the movies!!

i'd give it a shot but nothing will replace the sound and feel of a combustion engine, specially not a big V8. i just hate the idea that everyone is going to be puttering around in these goofy looking "green" cars. look at the prius, it's a p.o.s. hipi car that people only buy to look better or feel better about themselves. i really hate it when celebraties buy them, they are just doing it to please other people.

what I wanted to say was already said...

1) website says top speed is 100mph...

2) energy calculation says if you use water you need more energy to break it down and use it than what you are gonna produce to make the car go!

it's not "water vapor"...just steam! (just getting technical :D)

what else could we run cars by?

Archived