1.6 engine

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know... de-stroke. like remove some matieral that connects the mains, to the connecting rod journals, then reweld.

be sure to line up the oil galleys before you re-weld!

on a more serious note.... you'd need a custom crank. cha-ching!

well i can pay for the custom crank and the rods and wiseco makes pistons for us or i could regrind the b16a cam then get new rocker arm i priced them at just over 2g's just for the rocker arms.. so its all a matter of which engine would make the most power and be most reliable. as i said we cannot run turbos but we are currently running at about 14.5:1 compression on 110 octane race fuel

I cannot seem to find any good information, but I did learn all Honda 4 cylinder motors run counter-clockwise and all Honda 6 cylinder motors run clockwise.

I take it your not interested in running a 1.6 liter Honda Goldwing motor in your buggy.

well i can pay for the custom crank and the rods and wiseco makes pistons for us or i could regrind the b16a cam then get new rocker arm i priced them at just over 2g's just for the rocker arms.. so its all a matter of which engine would make the most power and be most reliable. as i said we cannot run turbos but we are currently running at about 14.5:1 compression on 110 octane race fuel

you don't need to get custom rockers for the setup. You can block the holes in the rockers and remove the center rocker completely. grind the lobe you want on the other 2 lobes. make a spacer for the two rockers as you dont have the center rocker anymore. Another alternative is to machine a pin to lock the 3 rockers in place and the car will always run on the vtec lobe. De-strokeing the crank would involve welding material on the rod journal whether on the inside or outside depends if you increase or decrease your stroke. then machine the journal to size with the desired stroke. Important to increase the width or the journal to increase reliablity.

your talking some expensive crap there man. plus , once the hard coating is gone off the journals that is on them stock , they are technically no good anymore. like your not supposed to weld and regrind and polish a stock crank from these engines. maybe thats why you say to widen the journals idk. youd be better off buying a crank or having one made even. what would be even easier would be to simply have the engine sleeved to a bore that with the stock k20 crank , youd be at 1600cc. pistons really are the cheapest thing to buy if you need custom or machine work done to them. maybe its possible to run into rod/block clearance with that 86mm stroke idk , doubt it though.

i would be haing a crank custom made so it would be a race quality crank. im not worried about the cost if i wasn't willing to spend money i would stay home.

cranks have been rewelded and regrinded to get a desired stroke since the hot rod era. Castillo's in Los Angeles does really good work. and as far as the cams go rewelding cams is also possible and and having them regrinded to desired spec is old news. Companies do it to fix flat cams or get desired specs. Bisimoto, gude, crane, comp, isky, etc do it as we have sent the cams to get fixed or regrinded. They last just as long. Of course they treat the metal after all the grinding and polishing. regrind cams are half the cost of a billet core. there are advantages and disadvantages to regrinds and new cores but for a different story.

i know cranks are machined everyday , but i know for sure these honda cranks have a hardened coating on them when they are made , and once it is gone or removed , they are supposed to be retired. honest. cant remember the name of the coating.

i know cranks are machined everyday , but i know for sure these honda cranks have a hardened coating on them when they are made , and once it is gone or removed , they are supposed to be retired. honest. cant remember the name of the coating.

I have only junked cranks when they are broken beyond repair. It's actually a hardening process and treatment that makes them durable. When you offset grind a crank like castillos or brian crower, skunk2 gude, R&D dyno, they do that procedure and makes them true again with the desired stroke. They even go through and stress relieve them also. Cranks are almost made the same was with a few exceptions due to money but honda cranks are better than most domestic cranks due to the fact that they are forged steel where some as cast. They are all hardened to make them durable. Very important part

i understand all that. what im saying is when a honda crankshaft is forged , they have a special hardened coating on the journals after machining and polishing , and once its gone , its gone. but it sounds by your experience , it doesnt matter once its gone anyways. have you ever seen a forged crankshaft made or how its made? its quite something , lol.

i understand all that. what im saying is when a honda crankshaft is forged , they have a special hardened coating on the journals after machining and polishing , and once its gone , its gone. but it sounds by your experience , it doesnt matter once its gone anyways. have you ever seen a forged crankshaft made or how its made? its quite something , lol.

I actually have seen a crankshaft made from a forged blank. they used to use a coating on crankshafts back in the day kind of like chroming. it was used to make it more slick but if would flake off. You can actually read about it in the engine blueprinting book I think written by SA books. that book is a good read.

2 different types of fogedcranks, a twisted forging and non twist forging, I believe the honda are a non twist forging which is a forging that is in the rough shape of the crank that is then machined into a specific crank.

the hardening on the crank journals is tuff riding which is achieved when the crank is heated to certain temp and a chemical or gas is added to the journals to put a surface hardening on them, they used to use nitrogen but I don't know what honda uses, thst is where the term nitrided came from.

to weld up a rod journal .200 on one side of a forged crank and think you will not get stress rizers that could cause cracking is not a gamble i wish to take, to remachine a crank back to size they will hard chrome surface the journal and then regrind it to spec, this works fairly well but it is even all around the journal.

Heating metal in the presence of carbon allows the metal the opportunity to expand their typically octahedral latices and accept carbon molecules. The opportunity presents the possibility of other reactive molecules making their way into the latice and weakening the metal. Performing this heating in the presence of an inert gas, such as nitrogren, allows the carbon to monopolize the openings in the latice.

I only have laboratory experience in this process, and often we used ultra high purity argon rather than nitrogen, and inductively couple plasma rather than a petroleum based fuel. The process was used to impregnate paramagnetic transition metals with various atoms.

The plasma was hot enough to vaporize the equipment used to create the plasma stream.

I would like to learn more about the hardening of crankshafts, although I am confident the process is electrochemical in nature.

Archived