CV axle popped out?

pbrskin

I have a 1993 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission. Long story short, i'm driving down the road and feels like the trans slips outta gear. I pull over and I got nothing.....no reverse or forward gears. I get towed home and pull the wheel off to find the pass side CV axle has popped out of the trans. I go ahead and replace it. But now driving I hear a noise thats similar to bearings going bad. The car had started shifting hard so I checked the fluid and topped it off now this has happened. Does it sound like I need to swap/replace trans? Thanks for any help.

Three possibilities:

1. the distance between the hub and the transmission is too far

2. the length of the CV Axle is too short

3. there is something mechanically wrong with the axle.

Three would have sounded good, but it hasn't popped out yet. I wonder if you changed that ring that goes on the transmission side of the axle, the snap ring. How is your camber? Are your pinch-forks secure? The transmission problems sound like the axle is coming back out. I would isolate any suspension problems before moving onto the more expensive transmission.

Is there anything in this car's history that would possibly contribute to this failure?

Three possibilities:

1. the distance between the hub and the transmission is too far

2. the length of the CV Axle is too short

3. there is something mechanically wrong with the axle.

Three would have sounded good, but it hasn't popped out yet. I wonder if you changed that ring that goes on the transmission side of the axle, the snap ring. How is your camber? Are your pinch-forks secure? The transmission problems sound like the axle is coming back out. I would isolate any suspension problems before moving onto the more expensive transmission.

Is there anything in this car's history that would possibly contribute to this failure?

The car has been hammered....It has 337,000 miles on it. I didn't notice anything wrong or outta the ordinary until this happened. Ill look at the suspension more this weekend. I may just sell the car as not to put anymore money in it. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by pbrskin

• 7 months later...
I have a 1993 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission. Long story short, i'm driving down the road and feels like the trans slips outta gear. I pull over and I got nothing.....no reverse or forward gears. I get towed home and pull the wheel off to find the pass side CV axle has popped out of the trans. I go ahead and replace it. But now driving I hear a noise thats similar to bearings going bad. The car had started shifting hard so I checked the fluid and topped it off now this has happened. Does it sound like I need to swap/replace trans? Thanks for any help.

if you still have the car,with the axle out, check the trany side end of the axle for the locking ring. that may have gone bad or broken, hope it helps :)