Make my d16y8 head work on my d15z1 block

Miamishatchback02

Well i have the d15z1 block and the p28 ECU and iam not sure if the d16y8 head will work and the vtec work also what do i have to do to make the head work right and also i cant change the ecu to the d16y8 ecu cuz then my block sensors wouldnt work can anyone help me pls?

• 2 weeks later...
you shouldn't have any problems as far as getting the vtec head to work on that motor. Just hook up the vtec solenoid and pressure switch with a p28ecu and you will be fine. Make sure you got your timing belt set right

thats the computer iam runing on a p28-A02 from an ex civic and how is it i can get the vtec solenoid and pressure switch conected to the computer i never done that

thats the computer iam runing on a p28-A02 from an ex civic and how is it i can get the vtec solenoid and pressure switch conected to the computer i never done that

Well, If your budget allows get a repair manual from either honda(pricey but worth it) or chilton from an autoparts store. Only the Chilton though don't get the haynes. Back to the subject at hand. Go to a wrecking yard and find a car similiar to the vehicle you have. Cut the plugs for the computer off the junk car leaving about 4 inches of wire to work with. You will need a pick to get the pins out that you will need to insert in to your harness. You can get the wire locations for each component in the manual. Make sure you solder your connections.. I also add a disconnection plug so if i ever need to service the motor out of the car I can disconnect it with out cutting and re-connecting. Stock look is what your trying to achieve. All my swaps look like honda did them

the head will bolt onto the block no problem(make sure you pull the oil jet out if it has one). your car is OBD1 , so the p28 will plug right in. if your car previously had the Z1 block in it , you already are wired for vtec. now a Y8 dizzy is not gonna work. if the Z1 dizzy will bolt to the Y8 head(this im not sure of) , it will work fine. youl need to take the injectors out of the OBD1 head(Z1 i assume) that came off the block , and put them in the Y8 head. that should be all you need to do dude. the sensor plugs should all be the same. if some happen to be in different places , extend them.

the head will bolt onto the block no problem(make sure you pull the oil jet out if it has one). your car is OBD1 , so the p28 will plug right in. if your car previously had the Z1 block in it , you already are wired for vtec. now a Y8 dizzy is not gonna work. if the Z1 dizzy will bolt to the Y8 head(this im not sure of) , it will work fine. youl need to take the injectors out of the OBD1 head(Z1 i assume) that came off the block , and put them in the Y8 head. that should be all you need to do dude. the sensor plugs should all be the same. if some happen to be in different places , extend them.

if you have the y8 dizzy and the z1 won't bolt up you can either make a jumper harness from the obd1 to obd2 dizzy plug. It will be easier for repairs if you have the jumper but if you dont you can hard wire the obd1 plug to the obd2 dizzy. did that with my cuzs swap. happy revving

if you have the y8 dizzy and the z1 won't bolt up you can either make a jumper harness from the obd1 to obd2 dizzy plug. It will be easier for repairs if you have the jumper but if you dont you can hard wire the obd1 plug to the obd2 dizzy. did that with my cuzs swap. happy revving

wel actually the plug were i use to conect my stock ecu wish wasnt the p28 does plug in perfectly in the p28 ecu

you dont have to hardwire anything , worst case scenario , you cut the OBD1 plugs off , and wire the OBD2 plug on to the OBD1 harness. the wires are all the same although different colors. than you can still unplug it at will. the P28 plugs right in cause all OBD1 plugs are the same.

you dont have to hardwire anything , worst case scenario , you cut the OBD1 plugs off , and wire the OBD2 plug on to the OBD1 harness. the wires are all the same although different colors. than you can still unplug it at will. the P28 plugs right in cause all OBD1 plugs are the same.

I refered to making a jumper harness for the dizzy to plug into the obd1 dizzy plug since he has an obd2 1plug dizzy. you can hardwire the plugs like cranny said but it's up to you