truck problems

Ok so i bulled the head off my ranger today and come to find out i swallowed part of a valve. About 1/8"-1/4" in size. The cylinder walls and piston are good no marksa at all. No i put a new head on it got it all back together checked the oil and everything. Start it up and now i have a valve tap like a mofo, sounds liek a diesel in training (klack klack klack). Everything was tight when the head came out and with the new one the 3 out of the 6 rockers were a little loose, but torqued and within tolerences.

So my question does anyone have any input to what it might be? It's a '98 Ranger XLT with a 3.0l, its same motor as the taurus.

• 7 months later...

i'm gonna revive an old thread because the same problem has come back again.

i pulled the head and found the same problems again with a missing valve. so i figured i would drop the bottom end out of it thinking the rings are shot and this is what i found.

DSC_0193.jpg

can someone tell me whats wrong with this picture?

• 3 weeks later...

98-00 rangers are known for blowing up engines. torch the vehicle and call it a day. stay away from fords, they are crap! i went thru 3 rangers, 88 (the best one) an 01 and a 04. i worked at for for 6 years. fords blow. get a toyota

i would say thats your opinion...

yes yes i also believe that fords are crap but not everyone has the same opinions... and just because a STOCK ranger is crap dont mean that if its modded it will still be crap...

^ naa sorry man.

98-00 rangers are known for blowing up engines. torch the vehicle and call it a day. stay away from fords, they are crap! i went thru 3 rangers, 88 (the best one) an 01 and a 04. i worked at for for 6 years. fords blow. get a toyota

why so they can buy it back from me because of a design flaw? dodge is the way i'm headed 03+ cummins :drool: