Some Turbo Q's

I know what everything does...(and yes i read the turbo neccessities thread :thumbsup: )

But can u guys just answer some Q's i have cause like the thread says...why put something on ur car that u know nothing about. so i wana know it all

I wana start a hatch build...boosted, b18 if all goes well. this will happen over the nxt couple of years. im trying to find a nice hatch now. For now im doing all the planning and saving! lol

It sounds stupid but, just explain to me wat connects to what. i know all the components im just confused in which order they go in.lol haha im still learning

thanx to all :blush:

dont hate plz

I'd suggest getting some books, such as "Maximum boost" by corkey bell.

what do you want to know? like how the turbo is bolted on, and where the intake piping goes?

hot side - header, wastegate, turbo, exhuast,

cold side - air filter, turbo, intercooler, bov, throttle body

or....

what do you want to know? like how the turbo is bolted on, and where the intake piping goes?

or....

yeah thats all

and how do u raise and lower boost?

all the controller is, is a restriction on the vacuum line to the wastegate. makes the wastegate "see" a small amount of boost. or make is "see" no boost until you reach your desired pressure, then opens the restriction to let the wastegate open.

you can keep the wastegate shut until the last possible moment, then open it. this lets you reach max boost quicker, because it isn't bleeding any exhaust off until your at max boost.

waste gate springs or boost controllers.

like Pyrorocketeer said, the wastegate is the only thing that controls boost on a turbocharged engine.

or....

sorry to correct you, but the turbine and the compressor should not be listed as the same thing.

intake filter->compressor->intercooler->bov->TB->engine->exhaust manifold->wastegate->turbine->dp and exhaust

all the controller is, is a restriction on the vacuum line to the wastegate. makes the wastegate "see" a small amount of boost. or make is "see" no boost until you reach your desired pressure, then opens the restriction to let the wastegate open.

you can keep the wastegate shut until the last possible moment, then open it. this lets you reach max boost quicker, because it isn't bleeding any exhaust off until your at max boost.

thats cool thanx man.

i could be totally making this up but... say u have a wastegate with no boost controller (if thats possible), will it only run on average boost? being like 7psi until u start messin with the controller?

Archived