1990 Honda Civic DX 3rd cylinder not firing

bestvina

The car was running very rough so I pulled one plug wire at a time and found the 3rd cylinder was not firing. I then swapped one of the plug wires and no difference. I put a spark tester in-line and it showed the plug was getting spark. (I had just changed the plugs the day before so I know the plugs are OK.) This civic has dual point fuel injection. Is it possible that one that one of the fuel injectors could be bad and not be feeding the 3rd cylinder?

• 2 weeks later...

So you checked the spark plug and the wires going to it... did you check the distributor/cap? If not, I'd look at that before getting into the fuel delivery system. Usually if you have a problem like that, you're check engine light should be on... if it is- bring it to autozone and they'll pretty much hook up a multimeter that reads engine codes and tell you exactly what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like you have a dead cylinder as you know it has spark going to that plug. It can't be the fuel as the car runs on 3 cylinders and its a dual point injection. All the cylinders get the fuel from these two injectors. one is the primary injector and the other is a secondary. Do a leak down test on that cylinder and you'll find the culprit. You can also do a vacuum test.

Archived