97 - 01 Prelude

Jekruger72

I'm semi new to Preludes. I know my way around hondas pretty well. I know engine codes decently. Any ways I'm here to ask which one would best suite my needs. I'm not going to rice it, although I am going to do some performance mods (headers exhaust chip and intake). I've been doing som research and I've came to the conclusion that 97 - 99 are all H22a1 Vtec with 165 hp. The 00 and 01 are Also the H22a1 vtec with 190 hp. Also there are only 2 diff types released in the US, base and SH. I'm not sure the diff between the SH and base except SH has the dif type tranny ATT something (which I believe is a type of LSD), BTW I want a manual. I think the SH came with a leather OPTION. Basically I want Cloth seats, sun roof, power everything. Grey for less than 10G's. What would I be lookin at for milage?

Sorry for the long post and sticking with me. Dont worry about flaming me for things that are wrong I'm expecting it and looking forward to answers

Oh yah. I like to drive fast, but at the same time get decent gas milage.

correction to your engine specs, 97+98 were 190hp, 99-01 were 200. another difference between sh and base is that sh came with a factory body kit= a little more weight.

99 was a prime year. for this generation it had the 200hp engine, but was lighter weight then the 00 and 01 years due to the last two years having a HEPA filtration system installed and a few other items which I think totaled up to about 100-ish more pounds of weight.

via ebay and/or craigslist you can find cars with 100,000+ miles in excellent condition for under 10g all the time. I have seen a couple stock 97's go for as little as 6-7k with 100-120k miles on them.

Well I'm not looking to buy for atleast 4months. I'm not looking to race it I just want a daily driver that is kinda quick, or as I like to call it Honda quick... But any way, I'm building a supra for when I wanna race. In your opinion how does the Stock body kit look? Also does the SH come with an option for leather or Cloth interior?

I think both SH and base could have leather as an option. I kind of like the SH kit myself. Just make sure to get the SH in blue if you can find one. God I love that color!

I think both SH and base could have leather as an option. I kind of like the SH kit myself. Just make sure to get the SH in blue if you can find one. God I love that color!

the green 97-01 preludes = love

Aye, it is nice. I had a red one myself. Didn't specifically care for it. Was an attention magnet from cops and disreputables. Would have preferred the silver with the bluish tint to it. No idea what the name for it was, but that was by far my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

the above sounds like a nice deal. i have a green 97 base. they are a fun car. solid power and great handling. only thing i don't like is it doens't really allow me to use it to carry all the crap i do, surifng, moutian biking etc. cargo is the only reason why i want to sell mine. gas milege isn't too bad either, i get about 25-28.

Don't buy an SH, its not even worth it especially if you have plans to make it any faster in the future. The trannies are so much heavier, they are bulky making many parts only made for the base not even fit onto the SH, things in the torque transfer system go wrong easily, all in all you will be much happier with a base model trust me.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I'm not looking to buy for atleast 4months. I'm not looking to race it I just want a daily driver that is kinda quick, or as I like to call it Honda quick... But any way, I'm building a supra for when I wanna race. In your opinion how does the Stock body kit look? Also does the SH come with an option for leather or Cloth interior?

They are quick enough when you open them up, but I didn't really like my '98 for handling - it's front heavy and not so fun to throw nose first into a tight bend. I also found that to get the car up to the torque range on the really tight bends meant jamming down to first, which wasn't so easy. That being said, I had a few issues with the car that could have created or amplified those issues. For normal road driving I enjoyed the car, and I would probably still have it if the mechanical problems weren't there (don't read that as a problem with the Prelude, I think mine was badly looked after by the previous owner). I think it looks great with the standard body kit and spoiler.

Archived