Difference between d16y8 and d16y7

Miamishatchback02

ok i got me a d16 vtec head whish iam plaing on putting in my d15z1 but how can i tell whish d16 vtec head is it cuz its almost identical to my d15 vtec head exept for the solenoid and a couple of things like the cam gear so how can i tell whish d16vtec head is it i got is there anything that shows the differences?

is the valve cover off the head? if it is you can look to see if it have the extra cam lobes. since you said it doesn't have a vtec solenoid then i'm gonna say it's not a vtec head.

is the valve cover off the head? if it is you can look to see if it have the extra cam lobes. since you said it doesn't have a vtec solenoid then i'm gonna say it's not a vtec head.

the d16 head does have a solenoid just a different one than the one my d15 head has. and yes the valve cover its off when i got that head a long time ago i got it without the valve cover from a friend of mine but he never told me what type it wa i think its the ex vtec head

Y7 will have no VTEC head. Y8 will. Check for the obvious solenoid. Check what your block says.

my block says d15z1 but i got a spare head from a friend and iam not sure what head it is all i know its a d16 vtec head but i want to know what type it is so i can put it in my d15z1 build block.

i am doing great got to eglin AFB a week ago to start my hard core training, when i get to demo i get to do a 1000lb shot :-D. it sucks how the army is maken me spend my winter in Florida.l_5ec5d3cb1ae0599366e1d2a8ea67a994.jpg it is really goann suck when spring break roles around :( damn this world

drive the hour or so to Panama City if you want to have a good time on spring break. Go to club La Vila and Spinikers (spelling) they are the hot spots for all the college people. I was there for the last 2 years.

Edit: TDY to spring break from alaska aint that a bitch. and they say the military doesn't trest us well... HA!

head.jpg

^y7

d15b.jpg

^y8 ( says VTECH on it)

ok the thing is the head i got from the d16 that a friend gave me dosnt have a valve cover so how do i tell? i think its an ex cuz on the lifter thing that has on top of the cam in the little corner it says ex so if its from an ex what type of head is it?

mhmm VTECH>vtech-vt20-2431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, actually, I have a D16Y8 VTEC... and it has the supposed "y7" cover (the pic you have as ^y7). I disagree with your pictures- because again, I have a D16Y8 (98 Civic Coupe EX) and it's VTEC and has the regular "Honda" branded on it. And if it's an EX head, it IS VTEC... no doubt about it.

Uh, actually, I have a D16Y8 VTEC... and it has the supposed "y7" cover (the pic you have as ^y7). I disagree with your pictures- because again, I have a D16Y8 (98 Civic Coupe EX) and it's VTEC and has the regular "Honda" branded on it. And if it's an EX head, it IS VTEC... no doubt about it.

yeah, i disagree with the pics too, that supposed "y8" looks exactly like my z6

Archived