Noise under load

TS John

So at first I thought the wheels on my buddy's civic were loose/bent/off-balance, but I discovered it's only making the noise when the engine is under load (ie cruising with foot off the gas/brakes) and not any other time. It sounds similar to what loose/bent/off-balance wheels sound like in that it changes depending on the speed but it's louder and you can feel it, especially on the driver side. It's not tranny related since the car shifts fine, and I don't even feel it's something like a wheel or a hub since it doesn't happen when accelerating.

Any ideas? I'm already telling him to bring it into our friend who is a mechanic, but it'd be nice to know some other stuff to look for if there is anything.

Thanks in advance.

im sure u already checked this, but make sure the lug nuts are nivce and tightened down. i forgot to do that once and it sounded just like you described it., it didnt make the noises under accereration but did it when i was coasting and braking. just a thought.

I guess we should check this out soon then, since it sounds like it's slowly getting worse...

definately sounds like a lug nut problem to me. idk how big of a guy you or your buddy is, but you gotta make sure you put those suckers down tight or theyll come loose on ya. checkin in with a torque wrench should do the trick. id go like 90 psi.

I don't think you measure torque in psi, but I know what you mean. I usually do them to 85 ft-lbs but have never worked on his car. He needs his wheels rotated and balanced and aligned anyway so I'll prolly recommend he does that soon and that'll take care of it.

EH6, you mean it only happened when coasting or accelerating? I hope it's not a wheel hub issue cuz then we need to start replacing stuff and this guy hates to spend money on his car (which is why he has a civic in the first place).

I don't think you measure torque in psi, but I know what you mean. I usually do them to 85 ft-lbs but have never worked on his car. He needs his wheels rotated and balanced and aligned anyway so I'll prolly recommend he does that soon and that'll take care of it.

EH6, you mean it only happened when coasting or accelerating? I hope it's not a wheel hub issue cuz then we need to start replacing stuff and this guy hates to spend money on his car (which is why he has a civic in the first place).

yeah, i realized i messed up with psi and was too lazy to edit. i just had to replace all my hubs and tires and all together it wasnt horrible, like $160 dollars for 4 hubs, used steelies that is

Archived