What is a good model to start with

I'm new to the community and I'm basically looking to get some feedback regarding a good starting point for a new project that I'm interested in.

For years I've always thought that owning and modding a Honda/Acura would be an exciting venture.

It's my intention to obtain a project car and then most likely Turbo it.

I figured it would be best to seek out opinions from those of you who have experience in this area.

I have never owned a honda before but have always wanted to obtain one for the pupose of modding/building a 10 second DD car that drives like it's on rails when on the streets.

My question is this:

What year and model of Honda or Acura would a guy in my position wish to consider if he was going the route of a built motor complete suspension upgrade in order to achieve the goals that I have listed.

I was considering starting out with an Acura of types but I'm certainly not against going with a Honda either. It's simply my goal to have a sharp looking car that can do a 1/4 mile in 10 or less and carve the back country roads and road tracks like Watkins Glen like a porshe 911 turbo. I want this car to handle like it's on rails.

All input welcome.

Roach

1/4 in 10 or less and DD really are not capable of being the same vehicle. 12/13 and DD yes.

Everything you are asking about is $$$. Depending on how much you want to spend will really determine your path. Some builds would require more to get to those goals then other options.

It's incredibly hard to do, you see.

For the average person to build a 10 second Honda, it's more than likely going to be boosted. And with that comes hardcore torquesteer when under boost.. So when you're wanting to allegedly "Carve corners" in said vehicle, you had better be ready for that steering wheel to loosen up when it begins to spool so incredibly hard that the wheels break loose in mid gear and you go sliding.

a 10 second DD that is reliable is going to be something hard to do and cost lots of money. at that point, it wont really matter what car it is because basically everything will be aftermarket besides the body. but i guess an integra gsr would be something to look into. has a good motor on it to begin with.

1/4 in 10 or less and DD really are not capable of being the same vehicle. 12/13 and DD yes.

Everything you are asking about is $$$. Depending on how much you want to spend will really determine your path. Some builds would require more to get to those goals then other options.

This little project will be a long time in the making. I just need to know which car to begin with. No body has any suggestions?

Roach

hondas are like legos. you can combine just about anything into anything else. nearly every engine will fit into every car with new axles and mounts. nearly every transmission will fit onto every engine with adapters. there is no car to recommend because they are all the same really. just buy one that you like; swap or build the engine to what you want; go fast

You guys have no encouragement. It wouldn't be hard to have a reliable and built 10 second honda that handles like it is on rails.

Built and twin turbo'd NSX

Or MKIV Supra w/ Honda badges

I JUST DIEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

You guys have no encouragement. It wouldn't be hard to have a reliable and built 10 second honda that handles like it is on rails.

Built and twin turbo'd NSX

Or MKIV Supra w/ Honda badges

LMAO, wow that was hilarious but it is true, the reality of this project might be short lived unless you get one of the two options above. Trying not to down the idea of it but it will be very challenging and you will have to tune the hell out of it.

GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup:

Take some pics of the progress whenever you start the project.

LMAO, wow that was hilarious but it is true, the reality of this project might be short lived unless you get one of the two options above. Trying not to down the idea of it but it will be very challenging and you will have to tune the hell out of it.

GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup:

Take some pics of the progress whenever you start the project.

Well then perhaps I'll consider going with a different vehicle. An AWD something or maybe a rotory Mazda.

Roach

I mean like a evo or stil for example would be a great car for the handling and i have seen a 1000hp evo 8 or 9 (i can't remember) and it was like a 8 maybe 9 second car. and of course it handles like a dream cause of the awd drive.

it will be harder to have great steering up front when you are putting all the power on to those two wheels. that is what makes fwd cars harder to autocross with, but a rwd or awd the strain is not so great and in my own thoughts that would be better mainly in a daily driver.

do you get what i am saying?

I mean like a evo or stil for example would be a great car for the handling and i have seen a 1000hp evo 8 or 9 (i can't remember) and it was like a 8 maybe 9 second car. and of course it handles like a dream cause of the awd drive.

it will be harder to have great steering up front when you are putting all the power on to those two wheels. that is what makes fwd cars harder to autocross with, but a rwd or awd the strain is not so great and in my own thoughts that would be better mainly in a daily driver.

Makes perfect sense to me.:thumbsup:

Those evo's are nice from everything I've read about them.

I test drove a first Generation WRX Impreza as well. WOW... I really liked that car.

Roach

Sorry but a 1000whp Evo isn't gonna' handle like a dream. The boost surge will be so sudden that when you go to go into a curve, and the boost begins to build as rapidly as it will, you aren't gonna' be able to handle it. Maybe for long, broad curves but for something mountain-esque, it's not gonna' be what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

get a crx, drop in a gsr motor with lsd and sticky tires on 15" rims, then boost it. build the motor so you can handle at least 14psi and get a good boost controller so you can adjust it for daily driving. dont forget a good stiff suspension. also dont forget all the aftermarket goodies like intake manifold, throttle body, ect. Also, if you want those numbers, look into a nitrous kit to go along with the turbo. nitrous is easy to turn on and off and will give you the hp gains youre looking for and still have the driveability.

like a porshe 911 turbo.

I owned a Honda CRX, drove an Acura Integra, drove a Dodge Charger, drove a Porsche 911 RUF modified GT2, and my current DD is a Honda Accord EX-V6.

I love the Hondas, but Honda is not even in the same league as Porsche.

If your goal is to build a car with the bar set at the Porsche level of performance, you will need to build it from sheet metal, carbon fiber, and aluminum tubing. Listen to the people that say nothing will be left of this car that is Honda.

If you try to make a Honda do what a Porsche can do, you are going to run in to problems you may have never imagined. Problems are expensive.

If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche.

Believe me or not (I have checked), for the most part, Porsche parts and Honda parts cost the same when bought from the dealer. Things like badges, leather, accessories, rims, etc. are more costly when dealing with Porsche.

So if you want to spend money to have a fast car, buy a fast car, but don't think you can buy a Honda and make it a Porsche.

wow, i agree with everyone you guys said and have only one thing someone didnt mention. yes the Prosche 911 is arguably the best handling car in existence, HOWEVER it is also has been known to have the worst ride quality. so, like with the power issue, you cant have your cake and eat it too kind of thing. i know for a DD, ride quality is extremely important to me.

I really don't get "have your cake and eat it too kind of thing"

If you have a cake, why can't you eat it?

+1 "So if you want to spend money to have a fast car, buy a fast car, but don't think you can buy a Honda and make it a Porsche."

I really don't get "have your cake and eat it too kind of thing"

If you have a cake, why can't you eat it?

+1 "So if you want to spend money to have a fast car, buy a fast car, but don't think you can buy a Honda and make it a Porsche."

agreed. the cake thing, ill put it into car terms. you have a nice ass NSX, you just love having it, looking at it, you want it to stay clean with low mileage as long as possible. on the other hand, you want to drive that sucker around town, on the windy roads, you want to show it off. well you cant do both can you? no, but you wish you could somehow.

Archived